Name a game series and how you would improve it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Dead Century said:
Pokemon. Fuck HMs. It's a waste a of a move slot on a decent monster and I hate keeping party members around solely just to do the HM bits to access areas. I would make a secondary slot set for moves that you don't use in battles or just replace HMs with items that do the same thing.

Or just make it an ability. Why would you have an HM for Fly or Surf? Shouldn't a flying Pokemon know how to fly? Shouldn't a water Pokemon know how to surf?
I guess they just borrowed the design idea from Zelda or whatever where you needed a certain item to progress over certain obstacles. It did feel like an achievement when you could finally go into all the water areas you could only just look over before.

I agree with you though. I reckon just calling the move Fly and Surf was annoying enough. I would of preferred it if they made it like the TV show so all you had to do was catch a certain type of Pokemon to cross to new area's. Then again, that might be hard to make. I don't know.

Edit: Oh, and another series I really wish went with a desired direction was Zelda, to keep continuing with that Link from Majora's Mask. Not keep killing them off and reviving them in different times over and over. I hate that. OoT and MM are fucking great games, MM being a perfect sequel which went in a different direction and made the universe much more interesting. I find it such a waste.
Oh, and don't anyone bloody dare bring up the stupid Zelda timeline.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
I would take Vampire Bloodlines and improve on some of the social features in game and make it less of a fighting game. The series was never meant to be a fighter, the best vampires trick others into doing their work for them.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Black & White 1 and 2.
Improve the AI of the villagers and pet.
Add a good map editor.
But most of all, I would add multiplayer to B&W2, one of the few games that actually would be so much better with multiplayer.

I had so much fun with 2v2 and 4v4 in the first one, and desperatly tried to make maps with a fan made editor that was somewhat broken. Why they decided not to have multiplayer in the second one is beyond me.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm going to pick the Mana series.

My first step towards improving it would be to actually make games for it.

My second step would be to make games that were closer to "Legend of" rather than Secret, Sword, Children, or Dawn (and ESPECIALLY Heroes) keep it closer to Legend including the stages of world building, customization, free roaming quest aspects, replayability, and so on (I've beaten that game over 100 times and I'm still discovering new stuff, so that's something)

My third step would be to fix up a lot of the problems that the original game did have. Combat could get fairly dull and repetitive. Maybe mix it up so you could combine attacks with abilities (like dagger heavy attack + high jump does...something) Definitely add more of...everything (quests, characters, worlds, weapons, etc.)

Basically I just really want to see someone take the magic of Legend of Mana and have that lightning bolt strike twice and strike bigger.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
It would be easy to say Mass Effect (3rd one in particlar), but I'm gonna go with F.E.A.R. 3.

I would bring back the same combat as in the two first games and get the story to make a bit more sense and also add a couple more endings. It was a nice touch that it had two different endings, but both annoyed me for different reasons. I know it's an action/horror game series, but it really had an interesting story and characters and I would have liked to see it live up to its potential, like caring about logic, not killing off major characters unnecessarily in cutscenes for no reason, among other things.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Splinter Cell:

Retire Sam Fisher. He seems to be aging backwards and getting more and more acrobatic as time goes on. This is silly. Make him the player character's handler or boss or something, or tone down the parkour, or both.

Bring back Chaos Theory's proper light and noise meters. Speaking of Chaos Theory, more of the hacking and electronic warfare stuff that was in that, not just intel pickups which reward you with money. In fact, use Chaos Theory as a template, then discerningly add in the features from later games which compliment it.

Which means no overpowered crap like mark and execute and the sonar goggles. But keep the general emphasis on gadgets - they were vital in the originals, and stuff like sticky-shocker mines and mini-drones in Blacklist are decent additions.

Also, more non-linear maps. Chaos Theory was great for multiple routes through levels, and there are a few side missions on Blacklist which are similarly varied because they're just a big open area with multiple objectives. Unfortunately a lot of the main campaign missions are basically linear.

Retain the side missions and multiple playstyles of Blacklist. Perhaps with some kind of undercover, Double Agent style missions. Not as emphasised as it was in Double Agent with fully divergent plots - just a sideline to the main campaign which provide some passing benefit/hindrance in the campaign depending on how you do.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Mass Effect 1: baseline for the series and independent of the others. Saren is dead and the Reapers won't be here for the next few hounded years.

Mass Effect 2: Shepard is dead. You are a Cerberus operative. You recover Shepard's "body" and take vengeance on whoever killed him/her. You are a terrorist that does terrorist things to found and conduct your investigation. You question your morality often and make decisions that will make you feel like a bad person, even on a paragon run. The mercenaries are less evil and more neutral. Oh Horizon, you meet Shepard, Ashley/Kaiden, and Tali (the other three can be skipped over in ME1) whom are investigating off of an "anonymous tip". You peacefully recruit the rebuilt Shepard if your reputation is high enough or fight him and drag him on your ship. The collectors aren't working for the reapers; they are just an alien race that conducts fucked up experiments to create controversial technology, which TIM wants.

Gameplay-wise, my only issue is with the dialogue and how I usually have only two polarizing options. In this remake, there will almost always be a neutral option, and, whenever possible, have two extra alternative paragon/renegade options to provide as many viewpoints as possible for dialogue.

Mass Effect 3: The story is unsalvageable in its current state. The reapers are supposed to be an unbeatable and unstoppable force to be reckoned with that are beyond our comprehension. The point is that we cannot win.

The only way that I could see defeating the reapers working is if the Crucible is a sophisticated virus and virus spreader. The tension is built around protecting it and buying time to bypass firewalls. Maybe even going into the firewall and shooting it down at some points, like in the Legion act. Maybe the virus could affect only synthetic-organic hybrids, thus keeping every non-reaper safe.

Other than that, the whole plot of the game would need to be scrapped... multiplayer was pretty good though...

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Elder Scrolls

- Non-stop fully interactable and completely nude Argonian orgies. All. The. Time.

Total War

- Game set during the American Civil War with full mechanics for counter-factual history scenarios (such as European intervention or a Confederate victory), fixed diplomatic AI that ensures there will be actual benefits to lasting alliances and nations won't demand stupid things like $10,000,000,000 and total demobilization even as your armies lay siege to their final, doomed bastion.

Killzone

- FUCKING HELGHAST CAMPAIGN FOR ONCE.

Call of Duty

- FUCKING WW2 AXIS BASED CAMPAIGN FOR ONCE.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Gamer87 said:
It would be easy to say Mass Effect (3rd one in particlar), but I'm gonna go with F.E.A.R. 3.

I would bring back the same combat as in the two first games and get the story to make a bit more sense and also add a couple more endings. It was a nice touch that it had two different endings, but both annoyed me for different reasons. I know it's an action/horror game series, but it really had an interesting story and characters and I would have liked to see it live up to its potential, like caring about logic, not killing off major characters unnecessarily in cutscenes for no reason, among other things.
Really? I thought F.E.A.R 3 had *the* best combat of the entire series and possibly of any FPS I've played. Never has any other game I've tried put me in the middle of such fluid and pulse-pounding firefights against intelligent enemies.

Could have been a tad scarier though....

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
I'm going to cheat and name a genre instead of a series. RPGs, the option to make your character left handed. Yes please. Especially if is in first person. It just looks weird to me, everything is always backwards. At least on the computer you do not have to worry about motion controls, Skyward Sword is practically unplayable for me...

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins: used as the baseline for the series.

Dragon Age II: first thing to do is give it a subtitle; Dragon Age: Champion would suffice. The first thing to change is the color pallet and lighting. This is a low fantasy story with a high fantasy aesthetic. From the looks of it, DA:I is keeping the pallet and lighting from DA:C instead of DA:O... poor choice. This game should look more like The Witcher or Planescape: Torment, but instead it has the lighting and palette of a sports game. The atmosphere is so thin, that I have found darker ones in comedies such as Dungeons of Dredmor.

The character's dialogue is a significant downgrade through the use of "the wheel" instead of numerous options and the addition of auto-dialogue. Adding snarkyHawke options just makes the paper thin atmosphere nonexistent. This is a dark story with serious overtones. A snark every so often is necessary to relieve tension, but when it's every line, the tension is nonexistent.

These characters are bad and you should feel bad. One of the biggest downgrades from the DA:O is the lack of interaction with the characters. This is the biggest strength in Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 as well as DA:O. This is one of the details that set them apart from other games. And it got taken out completely. Whoever made this decision should never have a job in the game industry again.

The story... just fix the 3rd act. I shouldn't have to expand on why or how.

Dragon Age: Inquisition: The Witcher series replaced you by this point, and there are few things that you can do to win me over.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Angelowl said:
I'm going to cheat and name a genre instead of a series. RPGs, the option to make your character left handed. Yes please. Especially if is in first person. It just looks weird to me, everything is always backwards. At least on the computer you do not have to worry about motion controls, Skyward Sword is practically unplayable for me...
agreed x1000. With all the technology available, I can only name two series that let me play left handed, and they are shooters from 10+ years ago.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Bocaj2000 said:
Angelowl said:
agreed x1000. With all the technology available, I can only name two series that let me play left handed, and they are shooters from 10+ years ago.
Metal Gear Solid 4 let's you swap on the fly, and Snake is right handed to my knowlegde. So props to the great lego-builder Hideo Kojima.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Assassin's Creed. I would have MUCH more focus on Desmond (So he becomes a fuckin
character again, after the horse shit they pull after the beginning of the second game). The past sections would also be heavily involved in the conflict between the Assassins and the Templars, not just becoming some names after the second game which mean next to nothing.

But I could go on for days. Assassin's Creed was one of those games which lived up to it's hype. And then the writers fucked up the series. Hell, by 3, they had fucked up the gameplay, too.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Animal Crossing - more interactive.
Give more noticeable personality differnces to each villager. They're already there, but they're negligible.
Be less simple with the whole life sim aspect. Even having to eat sometimes, or else you'd move slowly, would make the game a lot more immersive.
I suppose some RPG elements and a crafting system (like, say, cooking, to compliment the above) would make getting items much more rewarding.
Jobs.
I'm hungry.
When you're done, you have little to do until tomorrow, so you end up stalking your animal friends or beating them up.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Might and Magic series after part 8.
6 and 7 were the 'prime' for me, 8 was also still good but you noticed some things were a tad bit overpowered (dragons...get a team with them and you were set for the rest of the game.)
9...I shall not speak of that monstrosity unless it be in a dark room with a hushed tone so no one else can hear.
10 (X legacy)? Havent played it yet but as far as Ive come to understand it wasnt exactly the bomb.

The same partially goes for the Heroes games, Heroes 1/2 were pretty cool and something new, 4 we shall not speak about again... 5/6 were also ok with the graphics etc but still needed a bit of polish on the gaming side. The absolute pinnacle and the most enjoyable by miles and miles and miles in my opinion was heroes of might and magic 3. Was defo a game I spent hours upon hours with friend duking it out/building armies etc (no Necro's allowed in multiplayer :p)

so for implementing 'changes'...I do assume 'reverting back to what was good (in my opinion)' would count for this?

ThorTheNeophile

Feb 13, 2014
If I could fix a series I would make the Battlefield games less of an incredibly tedious grind. I suppose I would also make BF4 actually work while I'm at it (We can dream).

I would also like to take the Assasins Creed series and actually make it about being stealthy. I am thinking keeping the crowd stealth stuff which is pretty neat, but make it so you have to update your clothing to blend in with different groups. Other than that I also would put in proper hide-in-shadows and sneak around stealth.

Oh and I almost forgot. It's not really a series but I would make RAGE playable on AMD based cards because it just doesn't work...