Name Conundrum

Cohradoesr

Nov 11, 2010
Hey guys, I don't post on here much, but I do enjoy a lot of the escapist content, and am I regular for Yahtzee and Extra Credits, but this ain't about that.

I kinda got this idea from another thread about names, here's the thing:

My last name is Dyck, pronounced like "dick". I got a lot of crap for it when I was a kid, because children are retards etc, etc. I'm not complaining, I don't have hang-ups about it now, it's all in the past. :p

The thing is, that I don't want my own children (when I have them) to have to go through all that bullshit when *they* grow up. I think it's a reasonable thing, to want to have a nice life for your children. However, I'm also my father's only son, therefore I'm the last Dyck (Its so easy to make everything sound hilarious with that, eh? XD) in the family.

I could care less, I'd rather change my name and save my children-to-be the hassle, but my grandfather and father say that I'm "not carrying on the family name" and are extremely against it. I don't want them to be disappointed in me, but... I don't think I am in the wrong.

I just want to know, what some of you think. How much does your family name mean to you?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
this has multiple angles, we'll ignore the carrying on the family name part.

Do you feel you have grown into less of a person due to childhood teasing?

Conflict is part of growing up and kids will make fun of each other for anything. Life lessons are needed to grow and simply changing a name to avoid potential immature conflict will not help them learn how to deal with it and give them no context as to why they shouldn't treat others that way.

On the other hand, a name's just a name. The "you" is not defined by it, changing it's not that big a deal in my opinion as your actions will define you in ways your name can't.

Just remember that over protection can be harmful in the long run.

epialesofaergia

Jun 6, 2011
Just add a title to the end of your name to be carried on by your kin. John Williams, Son of a Dyck.

OT: My family name does mean a lot to me, but only because I had no close relationship with my family when I was younger.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
My advice: keep your last name. You won't be able to shelter your hypothetical kids from everything. Childhood teasing is inevitable, regardless of last names. And in the grand scheme of things, its pretty inconsequential.

Keeping your legacy alive however, is. At least if you ask me.

(Also, Dyck isn't that bad, as far as names go.)

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
a Indian Diplomat and her Last name is Spelt 'Dikshit' but its Pronounced Di-K-Shizt

but she is on telly at times

but i would change my name because i think i would be so full of people and there dumb jokes about the name

Cohradoesr

Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for the responses, I wasn't sure if I was gonna get any at all, honestly XD

And no I don't feel like I'm less of a person, I'm fine with myself. I don't think that what I'm doing is overprotecting, not any more than a person with a..... er.... normal?? (that sounds stupid but I guess that's what I'll go with)-sounding name. Kids are still gonna be idiots and start problems, it's just one less thing to have to worry about, y'know?

I must say though, that my family name doesn't matter much to me at all. I think it's a pointless form of sentiment, and the argument "Your actions should define you, not your name" is exactly my argument for that.

But I can see where you're coming from, I realize that to shelter children from all of life's hardships is a terrible idea, they need those experiences to learn about the world and to not be idiots.

I'll think more about it, it's a ways away after all. Opinions can change over time, but thanks for the answers, guys. It's nice to know what other people think on these things XD

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
you could always give your kids 2 last names so that only one will really ever get used, that's what I would do

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Give you kids middle names like "huge" and "prehensile". See if your father/grandfather would prefer that or having the Dyck name die.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Cohradoesr said:
I've heard of German families who changed their names during and after WWI and WWII to avoid hate from people. It comes to be a defining moment in any family line if something like that happens.

For example, my last name is Stevenson. But before the US Civil War, it was spelled Stephenson. What happened was one of my ancestors on my dad's side fought for the union in the war. He was captured by the confederates and held as a prisoner of war, but was released when the war was over. When he was released, he changed his name from Stephenson to Stevenson so he'd be harder to track down or identify. He was apparently concerned about the people who held him holding a grudge against him or his family. And we know this because we have the papers documenting his release from the prison.

Pretty cool, huh? Now, changing the name simply to avoid bullying may not be as glamorous, but it will still be an interesting point in your family's history. I think it is a worthy endeavor. You aren't changing your family's identity or history, you're just turning a new page in your own history book.