Name Game: A Boy and His Bike Part 3

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Excellent backstory-story you got going there. Really sad and I hope we see other characters explained as well.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Ahhh! *puts hands to chest* If you pull any harder on my heart strings, you'll rip them out.
This story just got serious. I like it!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
"There's only one man who can do it"
Isaac Clarke from Dead Space 2, play now on Gakai
oh wait, damn ad.
Would've been more moving if it had less Dead Space 2.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
amaranth_dru said:
To quote Keanu Reeves favorite line of all time...

"Whoa."
The Cheezy One said:
Getting Deja Vu to that scene from Critical Miss. You know the one [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8596-Critical-Miss-Children-of-Steam-6-Carrying-the-Light]
THE MATRIX IS CHANGING!
*insert deja vu cat scene here*
Yeah, this series seems like a drastic change of tone for Name Game. Luckily, Critical Miss is getting funnier (mean that in a nice way. the AC:R was well done), so it balances out. It's an interesting shift, and the backstory is nice.
While the darker tone is an interesting change of pace, if the backstory behind other characters is like this, please space the arcs out.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
This is getting rather depressing. We're seeing his past, and how he had so much put on his shoulders, except we know how bitter and cynical Jack has become as an adult.

Taynas

May 20, 2010
I think the fact that this is normally such a funny strip has allowed me to get attached enough to the characters that this tonal shift to serious actually is sad and I actually care what happens. Yay, Lee Lee.

Bashful Reaper

May 7, 2010
Hmm... Still hasn't made me sympathetic to my least favourite character in this. Oh well, I guess nothing will. Still quality stuff though.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Why does this happen to all good webcomix?

*funny funny funny funny funny weird funny funny awkward funny DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA (little bit of funny) DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!..."

That's about the time I stop reading, once its lost all freshness.
Critical Miss is treading heavily in this territory lately too.
Just... Why?!

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
^^^

That's kinda what I thought too. My first thought upon reading this comic was "Is Name Game on the chopping block?"

Frankly, I kinda found it refreshing when Rich Burlew (Order of the Stick) pointed out that, sometimes, people like Belkar don't have a tragic backstory that made them the way they are. They just turned out to be that way.

DJ Jack

Nov 18, 2009
Unhappy Crow said:
I'm enjoying this backstory. Keep up the good work.
Agreed, please keep this atmosphere. It really adds a lot to the feel and presence of your comic.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Harry Mason said:

*funny funny funny funny funny weird funny funny awkward funny DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA (little bit of funny) DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!..."

Just... Why?!
I agree. First there's some light drama, then some character building, then BOOM! Before you know it there's miscarriages everywhere.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
It's nice that you are exploring your characters, I wouldn't drag it out so much, inject funny to break up the drama.

just my 2 cents.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Backstory is good and it prevents moments like "Wow! Where is that coming from?!". This backstory itself more and more becomes like a "Wow! Where is that coming from?!" moment. Actually if one person out there is very happy about this story it is worth its while.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
If you told me that there'd be issues explaining Jack's back story I'd probably laugh, but this is actually really good.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Harry Mason said:

Just... Why?!
I agree. First there's some light drama, then some character building, then BOOM! Before you know it there's miscarriages everywhere.
I totally disagree, this is where good comics become keepers - like any good tv show you get thrown into the kooky mix of people and think you understand them, enjoying the laughs. Then you start to see a few more depths to the characters (Alix and Jack slowly together for the past few months, Lando's naivety being exploited etc.) and get hooked into something deeper.

This is how something goes from being a glancing funny into long lasting story and narrative. First thing I've been hooked on on the Escapist since Apocalypse Lane. I really hope the declining comments on this comic don't result in it ending prematurely

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
jebbo said:
Grey Carter said:
Harry Mason said:

Just... Why?!
I totally disagree, this is where good comics become keepers - like any good tv show you get thrown into the kooky mix of people and think you understand them, enjoying the laughs. Then you start to see a few more depths to the characters (Alix and Jack slowly together for the past few months, Lando's naivety being exploited etc.) and get hooked into something deeper.

This is how something goes from being a glancing funny into long lasting story and narrative. First thing I've been hooked on on the Escapist since Apocalypse Lane. I really hope the declining comments on this comic don't result in it ending prematurely
Pssst. I wasn't entirely serious, friend.