Name Some Notable In-Game Music!

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Hi folks,
I'm doing a research project for my music class and it can be about anything as long as it's sort of music-related; I want to do a presentation on how music helps the experience in a video game.

I've got a few ideas, but it would help my credibility if I get data that's not just my own personal experience. If you guys could recommend some sequences with notable music (even if the music doesn't stand out on its own, but the sequences works well with the music) that'd be great. I'll also quote the Extra Credits video on videogame music, and why we tend to remember some tunes and not others.

Ideally, these shouldn't be during a cutscene (as it's hard to make a case for that without making it sound like I'm talking about a movie), and, even more ideally, if you could find a screenshot or a youtube clip or something that would be appreciated. (I've played a bunch of video games but obviously there are many, many more that I haven't had the opportunity to).

If someone already posted something you were going to post, feel free to post it/quote them anyway - it would help to know what the community tends to agree on as a good use of music in a game, and more data is certainly helpful.

Currently I've got:
Shadow of the Colossus - adds drama to the fights with the colossi
Castle Crashers - adds to the whimsical mood, overall silliness of the game
Metal Gear Solid - adds to the tension, especially with the echoing sound effects. Has a memorable "main theme."
Final Fantasy VII (One Winged Angel) - Gives you the impression that the guy you're fighting - Sephiroth - is kind of important (The storyline explains this for about thirty or so hours, but the music hammers the point further - I'm including this because we're playing it as a band piece)
Halo & Starcraft II - I'm noticing a trend between tribes of aliens with advanced technology and high-pitched choir music, which I thought would be interesting to bring up.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
The Hitman series springs to mind, especially blood money. It's orchestral soundtrack adapts to whatever situation you find yourself in. For instance if you're stalking a target suspenseful ominous music plays, if your cover is blown an adrenaline fueled action theme kicks into gear. It works incredibly well and adds a lot to the experience.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Listen to the music from the Night Elf zones in World of Warcraft and anything from the Mafia and Mafia II radio soundtracks. They set the scenes brilliantly.

Black Ops also has that great moment where the song Sympathy for the Devil is used to create the perfect atmosphere.

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
Legend of Zelda themesong
Red Alert's theme song "Hell March" I personally prefer the original over Hell March 2 and 3.
[/B]Fallout 3[/B] had some great old songs on it's soundtrack.

Didn't Extra Credits do an episode on this?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Enigmers said:
I want to do a presentation on how music helps the experience in a video game.
Left 4 Dead. They designed the music -specifically- to enhance the mood. If you don't use L4D, you're a bad person :(

ShatterPalm

Sep 25, 2010
Can I suggest to you Peanut3423's presently ongoing Top Fifty Boss Themes and Top Fifty Video Game songs? He's a sharp yoman with a hell of an interest in videogames and music. The video full lists will take a while to watch all the way through, and the Top Fifty Boss themes isn't even finished yet, but what is there makes a lot of sense.

Here are a couple of links.

Marmal4de

Apr 4, 2010
All of the town themes in Heroes of Might and Magic III (Or really any HoMM game) are amazing at building and defining the town's character. From the dark Inferno and Necropolis themes to the peaceful Castle and Rampart themes, the composer did an amazing job of creating a unique sentiment for each town.

ParanoidAndroid

Apr 2, 2011
The song that plays when you get to Mexico in RDR. My favorite gaming moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IkvAb6THQY

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
This is all really good stuff guys, thanks a ton. In particular, HoMM3 and Left 4 Dead stand out as "I spent hours playing these, why didn't I think of that!?" material. Keep it coming!

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
The various fighter's themes from anyone of the Guilty Gear/Blaz Blue games. Generally capture the essence of the person you're fighting

A lot of the Parsona 3 & 4 music as well. Most particularly 'The Battle For Everyone's Soul' from 3, the theme played when you fight the semi-final boss (which has elements of the 'velvet room' theme you've been listening to most of the game), The Dungeon themes from 4 (possibly barring the Castle one) which add to the overalla tmosphere and the final boss theme of the true ending - a slowed down orchestral version of the main battle music

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
In Half Life 2. The music in the canals really adds a good vibe to the feeling of being chased.

Hate on that game all you want, it has a fantastic soundtrack.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Majora's mask has one of the most memorable soundtracks in my mind, since it pretty much created the dark and gothic mood throughout.

It also makes great use of recurring motifs, as well as subverting them further to enhance the mood. Compare the serene first day music to the omninous one on the final day.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I know it's not in game, but Civ IV's Baba yetu. It got me excited about playing the game with just music, damnnit.

There's a reason it won awards.

BookBeast

Jan 2, 2010
I would suggest checking out this page. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CrowningMusic/VideoGames]

Gotta put in a vote for a lot of the music in Mass Effect 2, particularly the character themes and the battle theme from the Overlord DLC.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Castlevania 2 -- The Silence of Daylight
<youtube=tiwsAs6WVyQ>

Silver Surfer -- Level 1
<youtube=4H_0h3n6pMk>

Street Fighter 2 -- Guile's Theme
<youtube=Iof5pRAIZmw>

There you go. Have a nice eargasm!

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Sebenko said:
I know it's not in game, but Civ IV's Baba yetu. It got me excited about playing the game with just music, damnnit.

There's a reason it won awards.
We're actually playing that in class, though I don't really know if I can add context to it or not. Civilization IV doesn't have much story or atmosphere beyond "You are a cartoony dictator in a cartoony world, go make a great Civilization and show everyone who's boss!" It's a great song, though, and I'm glad you brought it up.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Literally any music from any Kirby game. The ending of Revenge Of Meta Knight is one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4z-T0PC4Xo&feature=related. Probably my personal favorite ending ever, watching the Halberd drift into the ocean with that music.

(Also wow, i went looking for one link of some Kirby music and just ended up cycling through about 20 different Kirby tracks listening to them all. Every time i hear music from any of the Kirby games i get an overwhelming urge to play them once again, so I'm off to do that now...)