Names for subgenres of games that don't exist yet.

-Orpheus-

May 5, 2009
AFK 'em up.

Any MMO type game where you go to bed and leave your character working on some mindless repetitive task.

Jul 9, 2008
My favorite subgenre has always been FPSRPGs (or RPSs, if you like), such as Fallout 3 and Mass Effect.

Antlink

Apr 18, 2009
Jandau said:
Does this mean that game plots have hit such a low that it needs to be specified if and when a game actually has one?
Lol yes, nowadays it does, Dark times, Dark times indeed.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
God-botherer Sim

The Sims games because you can control every aspect of a Sim's life and even take their life away from them. Also known as the Hyperrealistic Pool-Ladder Murder Simulator.

Spore because it is an evolutionist game, not that there is a problem with that, but I guess if a God-sim promotes non-creationism than it would be classed as a God-botherer sim.

Animal Wrangling RPG

Harvest Moon and to a lesser extent the Tamagotchi spinoff games. Pokemon also counts.

Sweeney Todd Idoliser Game

Games like God of War III with allegedly so much gore it's almost illegal, and probably is illegal under crappy Aussie censorship board laws. Such games would also have an excessive focus on hatred, suffering and revenge, just like Sweeney Todd. Come to think of it, God of War games are kinda fitting for this category.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
NewGeekPhilosopher said:
God-botherer Sim

The Sims games because you can control every aspect of a Sim's life and even take their life away from them. Also known as the Hyperrealistic Pool-Ladder Murder Simulator.

Spore because it is an evolutionist game, not that there is a problem with that, but I guess if a God-sim promotes non-creationism than it would be classed as a God-botherer sim.
Already a proper genre name but not in use so much these days because you can't make a shooter in it therefore making it uninteresting to most of the people who cover games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_game

BaronAsh

Feb 6, 2008
Ricky 49 said:
Total War- where there is both a turn based map movment and RTS battles

Rise of Civilisations, Imperial glory, TLOTR Battle for Middle Earth II

and of course the Total War series
the series that came up with the idea and beats all the other attempts within an inch of their useless life

sorry i own all of these other games for this exact reason and i think they are a waste of money compared to the total war series
This is called a hybrid and was done before Total War by "Lords of the Realm 2" and "Lords of Magic".

On Topic: I'm going to say open-world rpgs such as Fallout and Fallen Earth.

arc101

May 24, 2009
FPGS - First person ghost shooter, a game when you are a ghost with a piece

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I got some more,
Fun Horror, games where the actual horror atmosphere gets destroyed because you actually have entertaining fun with it so you never dread monster encounters (like Dead Space'es dismemberment mechanic)
Story Heavy, games where the plot is VERY much a part of the experiance and cannot be disregarded.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Mar 16, 2009
Mindfuck = Whatever the hell killer7 is...

Speedformer = A platformer that strongly encourages and rewards level completion in the shortest time possible, usually with a main character that reaches a very high running speed. (Sonic the Hedgehog, Rocky Rodent, etc.)

Loli Hell = Bullet hell/frenzied shooter games featuring a cast of predominately young, female characters. (Touhou, Death Smiles, etc.)

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
Point and click adventure games should be referred to as "point and click 'em ups"

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
SPS...

The Second Person Shooter

It's really hard to comprehend what that would look like... think of this:

FPS - I am shooting
TPS - He is shooting
SPS - You are shooting

So, if my logic doesn't fail me, it would be a first person game, from the perspective of the people you are shooting..