NASA Gives Control of Old Satellite To "Citizen Scientists"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
NASA Gives Control of Old Satellite To "Citizen Scientists"

A group of "citizen scientists" is hoping to reactivate an old NASA satellite that's slowly orbiting the sun and "make it do science again!"

Back in 1978, NASA launched the ISEE-3 satellite to study the flow of solar winds. After that mission was completed in 1981, it was redirected to observe a pair of passing comets, and following that, it took up orbit around the sun, where it remains to this day. Now, that orbit is about to bring the satellite closer to Earth than it's been in more than three decades, and that's led a company called Skycorp Inc. to sign a deal with NASA to assume control of the satellite and hopefully get it operational again.

The deal was made possible through a crowdfunding effort known as the Space College [http://www.rockethub.com/42228], which raised nearly $155,000 to cover the cost of the recovery, which NASA couldn't afford to pay for itself. With funding in place, NASA signed a Non-Reimbursable Space Act Agreement with Skycorp, granting it permission to attempt to contact, command and control the satellite. The plan is to put ISEE-3 into a stable orbit between the Earth and the Sun at the Lagrangian 1 point, after which, if all goes according to plan, it will be brought back online completely and put back to work.

It's obviously something of a long shot, but NASA has previously said that 12 of the satellite's 13 scientific instruments were still working the last time they checked, although that was in 1999. If the effort to recover ISEE-3 fails, it will continue on its way, past the moon and around the sun again; but if it succeeds, it'll be a very cool moment indeed, and with some practical value to boot.

"New data resulting from the project will be shared with the science community and the public, providing a unique tool for teaching students and the public about spacecraft operations and data gathering," NASA said. "The data also will provide valuable information about the effects of the space environment on the 36-year old spacecraft."

Source: NASA [http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/may/nasa-signs-agreement-with-citizen-scientists-attempting-to-communicate-with-old/#.U37tmSimU1J]

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Cool!

First point of order:

I vote we rename it Goldeneye.
Only then can we move on to calibrating whatever scientific dodads we need to SCIENCE space with.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Recommissioning old space hardware for use in modern-day scientific research? Who WOULDN'T be cool with this?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"nearly $155,000 to cover the cost of the recovery, which NASA couldn't afford to pay for itself"

I'm hoping that's "wouldn't", as in they don't expect the thing to work, because otherwise...

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
thaluikhain said:
"nearly $155,000 to cover the cost of the recovery, which NASA couldn't afford to pay for itself"

I'm hoping that's "wouldn't", as in they don't expect the thing to work, because otherwise...
With the way government appropriations work here in the US, I'm sure they had the money, but weren't allowed to spend it on this. Money is allocated for agencies for specific uses. Moving the money to do things it's not specifically allocated for is actually unlawful.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
thaluikhain said:

most likely couldn't. Nasa is running on shoe string budgets lately.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well this sounds interesting. Heck, if this works we might see even more projects like this in the near future.