NASA Observes Black Hole Shredding Star

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Black hole: OM NOM NOM NOM

Wonder how many calories are in a star.

Also black holes suck, it was a pretty star. Twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder OMG WHERE'D IT GO?!
I was thinking more "Twinkle, Twinkle, little OMFG WHAT THE FUCK? THE HORROR!!!!"

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
Berenzen said:
OhJohnNo said:
Our hopes and expectations
Black Holes and Revelations

Black holes have always scared facinated me a bit. This is not definitely helping.
Fixed for my point of view.
They fascinate me, too, but in a frightening way.
It's the most fascinating phenomenon in the universe, and at the same time the most terrifying one. It's hard to imagine something so powerful. Why do they exist? What's inside the event horizon and what happens there? It's a very bizarre phenomenon. And some scientists think it's possible that the known laws of physics don't exist inside the black hole. I even heard a theory that black holes are like wormholes in a way. And that there is something on the other side. It's just a theory, but thinking about all those possibilities is exhilarating.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Realitycrash said:
Is it mandatory for all Escapist news-editors to include atleast one pun per article? Are you faced with punitive damages if you don't?
they don't have too. We won't burst into flame if they don't

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I take a little issue with the way you presented the article Mr. Article Writer.

They never saw images of a star. In fact isn't a direct observation at all, but it seems implied to be by you. They observed a predicted UV flare, and even pretty much say there in the quotes that it's possible, but as far as they know unlikely, that it is simply something they don't know about yet.

Also this wouldn't be the first time we have seen a star being torn apart by a black hole either:

There are several stars in our own galaxy that are being torn apart by the black holes they orbit.

thiosk said:
the glorious human glorious race.
We are the glorious race of glorious humans!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Anton Yeo said:
Black holes are like the ultimate troll, even the brightest cant escape them.
you sir are made of win.

Now we only have to wait for cryptonians to arrive.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Personally, I feel like this news is out of this world.

... Puns aside, we now know what a black hole does to a star! Now, let's hope that doesn't happen to us, since that's extremely, extremely unlikely.

... Right?

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
... And yet, the kangaroo.

... I don't know where I was going with that. Really, though, I have to wonder: What if Earth got pulled into a black hole? We would get fucked UP, that's what. ... But I imagine it would be hilarious to watch.

... [insert space pun here]

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
And all Science Fiction leaped in glee, that they can now do that in their shows.

And Black Holes make me think of Galactic Supervolcanoes. You never know when one might just act up and instantaneously void almost all life on a planet/solar system/galaxy. How exciting.