NASA Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

One of the most important questions in human history - are we alone? - may at last have a definitive answer.

It isn't the Vulcans. It isn't E.T. Hell, it isn't even Alf. But a NASA scientist claims to have found definitive proof that life in the universe can - and does - exist outside of Earth: fossils of alien bacteria discovered in meteorites.

Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, published his findings in Friday night's edition of the Journal of Cosmology [http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html], a peer-reviewed scientific journal with a website that looks like it came straight out of 1999. Hoover discovered the fossils in an extremely rare type of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites, of which a mere nine specimens exist here on this blue planet.

"I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet Earth," Hoover told Fox News in an interview [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/], which is a strikingly anticlimactic way of essentially trying to say "we are not alone." According to Hoover, who has studied meteorites for a decade, many scientists ignored this field of research because they didn't believe they'd find anything there. "This field of study has just barely been touched - because quite frankly, a great many scientists would say that this is impossible."

He, however, says he did - by breaking apart the uber-rare space rock and analyzing its insides with an electron microscope that helped him discover the fossils in question. Many of the micro-organisms in the fossils resemble life on Earth, said Hoover, but others? Not so much. "There are some that are just very strange and don't look like anything that I've been able to identify, and I've shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump."

According to Journal of Cosmology editor-in-chief Dr. Rudy Schild, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, the publication invited thousands of scientists to cross-examine and scrutinize Hoover's report to try and head off skeptics and naysayers. "No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting, and never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published."

Not everyone is convinced, of course. Dr. David Marais, an astrobiologist at NASA's AMES Research Center, says that similar claims have been made before and proven wrong - and that a discovery of this magnitude will need solid evidence rather than conjecture. "It's an extraordinary claim, and thus I'll need extraordinary evidence," Marais said. Until the claims could be independently verified, said Marais, this was merely a "potential signature of life." Which is still pretty huge, if you ask me. But then again, I'm not a scientist.

If true, however, the implications could be staggering beyond the simple revelation that life exists elsewhere in the cosmos, of course. "Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth," speculated SETI Institute senior astronomer Dr. Seth Shostak.

"It would suggest, well, life didn't really begin on the Earth, it began as the solar system was forming."

Or maybe life was intentionally seeded here as part of a grand scheme by the Forerunners as they built their installations to contain the threat of the Flood, and -- no, wait, that's Halo.

Either way, this is some pretty heavy stuff. It could be a false alarm, but if this is our first real hint that we are not alone in the universe? Holy crap.

Update: University of Minnesota professor PZ Myers has taken a pretty savage scalpel [http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/did_scientists_discover_bacter.php] to this claim, and he makes a pretty convincing argument that this is absolute bunk. While the Fox Mulders of the world can still hold out hope, the Scullys may be in the right on this one. Alas.

(Yahoo News [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/])

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Semi-serious response: No discovery of the Asari yet?

God damnit! >_<

Serious response: ..I'm too tired to care at the moment. I'll edit this later.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Hoo wow... Of course, it was always going to be true. The idea of a universe so large we have no word for it but "infinite" had no other life at all but us was absurd.

Nonetheless, this is awesome that the rock landed here, and that we found it. It might easily have landed undiscovered in the sea, or Siberia.

I'd say it would be slightly more significant if we knew not that there was life out there, but where it had come from.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
This is big, still skeptical, but I'd like to see this as signs of life. I'll wait until a few papers are published before I start building an alien proof bunker.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
"There are some that are just very strange and don't look like anything that I've been able to identify, and I've shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump."

That is the most exciting sentence in this whole article.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
scarab7 said:
This is big, still skeptical, but I'd like to see this as signs of life. I'll wait until a few papers are published before I start building an alien proof bunker.
By then it will be too late! I for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
This was inevitable, good to see that you guys picked up on this jewel as well!

Well it ain't no Xenomorph but still wonderful news.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I agree with Dr Marais, these need to be studied further, but it's still an insanely important find.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Definatly interesting. Who knows, might reveal a huge thing that we haven't found for ages.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Were getting closer. soon We will find our new alien masters, who will gladly lord over us from their masterful metorite vessels...

I mean ah, Yes, very early study. we should't be too ah...hasty. yes.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
It is important to point out that if you look at ANYTHING under a scanning electron microscope, you can see features that look lifelike.

Garbage.

WORMS oh actually just plastic

Edit:

Ok, I've gone through the article a bit. I'm not a cosmologist, but I do publish scientific articles in journals for a living. And "peer reviewed" does not mean "good." The first red flag is that this paper is available for free from the journal. The top multidisciplinary journal on earth is Science. Check it out at http://www.sciencemag.org. Neat huh? Try to read an article.

Ohhhh, you can't, unless you are in a library or at a university, or otherwise have some kind of subscription or are a AAAS member. Sometimes they'll hand the articles out to just anyone, but usually not. Theres rules for all that. This is an open publication journal. The idea sounds attractive on paper; lets have journals designed to get pioneering papers to the public faster! This isn't meant to get information to the public, this is meant to make a splash in the news media. This paper will go on the pile with all the other mineralized fossil bacteria from mars papers and everyone

The last time "life" was found that did get into Science. Turns out it was just funny wiggly things in SEM images. Oh look! These are funny wiggly things in SEM images. With chemicals on them! I forgot to properly clean some silicon wafers a few months back, and when I analyzed the surfaces by EDS I found all sorts of nitrogen, carbon, oxygen. Its called "shit that gets all over everything because you are on the planet earth, and probably anywhere else in the universe"

Where this manuscript starts grinding my gears is the random figures and images are thrown in there. Throw in enough figures and anything looks legit. The pictures of comets and meteroites and moons and what not? Utterly useless, and would not be included in a proper scientific manuscript.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
Lol nice Halo reference. I'm assuming that it hasn't been reviewed by a whole lot of other scientists yet, because it hasn't been a huge news headline. Cause I mean, if it's 100% proven that any form of extraterrestrial life has been found, shouldn't it be big news all over the place, newspapers, TV, magazines, etc? Or will people still care more about what Snooki had for breakfast that morning.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Meh, Bacteria. It is kind of interesting, but it'll be better when we discover that Asari exist.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
It seems more promising than ALH 84001, the Martian meteorite that received so much attention for having possible microfossils in the 90s. I look forward to seeing if more comes from this :)

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
I'm gonna have to hold out because the press reporting science is like... well... the press reporting science.

It's just bad.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Eh, this isn't huge news for me. Really, in my honest opinion, the universe is too huge not to have life. It's merely a question of:
a) How far away?
b) How much?
Really, finding a little microscopic organism isn't that impressive. There's bound to be something somewhere, of course.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Pretty cool. This'll likely get bashed by all the bull-headed skeptics out there.

I always beleived that there was life elsewhere, its just a matter of it there is sentient, and possibly even intelligent life out there that we need to prove now :)

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Yes my plan of recreating star wars with real aliens is one step closer to completion.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Allan53 said:
I'd be more impressed if something like this didn't occur every few months...
yeah it's starting to get old. how about some actual DNA so you can clone your self a monster or something, i wanna see some crazy monster clones.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Like anyone expected there not to be.

WorldCritic said:
Meh, Bacteria. It is kind of interesting, but it'll be better when we discover that Asari exist.
Pheh. Asari SmechSmari. I want to ride a Krogan.

socialtangent

May 23, 2009
If this turns out to be legit, then this is a pretty big find.

However, I'm a bit skeptical unless additional research confirms this. We've heard this story many times before, only to be disappointed.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Allan53 said:
Yeah, it gets tiresome.

"Scientist makes wild unsupported claim, yet to be verified". Meh.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
we need to find this "intelligent" life, and immediately challenge them in battle.

humanity must prove it's superiority!

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009

Awesome, I really hope we can be friends with all our alien contacts [sub]if only to exploit them mwhahaha[/sub]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
strictly speaking, the universe is mind-bogglingly huge, so much so that it would be a statistical impossibility that Earth has the only form of life.

out of easily over 3 billion stars, you can not say that there is not some form of life hiding out on a planet, they might not look human, or breathe the same atmosphere that we do, hell, they might look more like Tribble's than Vulcan's, but life is life.

Even if it is aiming a Q-36 Space Modulator at us.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
If you'll excuse me, I have to go stand on my back porch with a Shotgun pointed at the sky... you know, just in case they figure out they've been discovered.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Extremely skeptical for sure. This isn't the first time this dude has claimed to find life from space. Also, they did just botch a rocket launch. Maybe they're just trying to save a little face? (In an extreme manner.)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Allan53 said:
Yeah, it gets tiresome.

We don't all do this.

I PROMISE.

BodomBeachChild said:
Extremely skeptical for sure. This isn't the first time this dude has claimed to find life from space. Also, they did just botch a rocket launch. Maybe they're just trying to save a little face? (In an extreme manner.)
No one takes mineralized life seriously after the 1996 fiasco. Also, the people launching the rocket and these researchers are not affiliated.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
thiosk said:
thaluikhain said:
Allan53 said:
Yeah, it gets tiresome.

We don't all do this.

I PROMISE.

BodomBeachChild said:
No one takes mineralized life seriously after the 1996 fiasco. Also, the people launching the rocket and these researchers are not affiliated.

NASA takes everything they are slightly involved with and blows it out of proportion was what I was tryng to say. See: Chilean miner rescue. Usually they're like "Look at us!" And after the crash... but I see yer point.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
BodomBeachChild said:
NASA takes everything they are slightly involved with and blows it out of proportion was what I was tryng to say. See: Chilean miner rescue. Usually they're like "Look at us!" And after the crash... but I see yer point.
When was the last time you laminated a test you failed and distributed copies to all your relatives? :)

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
John Funk said:
"...never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published."

wutaboutscience

Saulkar

Legacy
Sep 18, 2020
Country
Canuckistan
I hate all the pessimism in this thread! I want alien life and I want it NOAW! It is taking to damn long for us to find anything unless we already found it but the public does not know about it because it plans to destroy us all. The G8 are aware of it and want the world to live its carefree existence for whatever little time is left. In which case WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!! DOOMED YA HEAR! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOED'D!!!

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Our first real hint? Maybe, but certainly not clear yet.

These arent the first extra-terrestrial rock formations that might be fossilised bacteria. They arent even the first time *this guy* has made the claim (he made a presentation on the same thing back in '07).

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
John Funk said:
NASA Scientist Finds Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

One of the most important questions in human history - are we alone? - may at last have a definitive answer.

It isn't the Vulcans. It isn't E.T. Hell, it isn't even Alf. But a NASA scientist claims to have found definitive proof that life in the universe can - and does - exist outside of Earth: fossils of alien bacteria discovered in meteorites.

Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, published his findings in Friday night's edition of the Journal of Cosmology [http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html], a peer-reviewed scientific journal with a website that looks like it came straight out of 1999. Hoover discovered the fossils in an extremely rare type of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites, of which a mere nine specimens exist here on this blue planet.

"I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet Earth," Hoover told Fox News in an interview [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/], which is a strikingly anticlimactic way of essentially saying "we are not alone." According to Hoover, who has studied meteorites for a decade, many scientists ignored this field of research because they didn't believe they'd find anything there. "This field of study has just barely been touched - because quite frankly, a great many scientists would say that this is impossible."

He, however, did - by breaking apart the uber-rare space rock and analyzing its insides with an electron microscope that helped him discover the fossils in question. Many of the micro-organisms in the fossils resemble life on Earth, said Hoover, but others? Not so much. "There are some that are just very strange and don't look like anything that I've been able to identify, and I've shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump."

According to Journal of Cosmology editor-in-chief Dr. Rudy Schild, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, the publication invited thousands of scientists to cross-examine and scrutinize Hoover's report to try and head off skeptics and naysayers. "No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting, and never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published."

Not everyone is convinced, of course. Dr. David Marais, an astrobiologist at NASA's AMES Research Center, says that similar claims have been made before and proven wrong - and that a discovery of this magnitude will need solid evidence rather than conjecture. "It's an extraordinary claim, and thus I'll need extraordinary evidence," Marais said. Until the claims could be independently verified, said Marais, this was merely a "potential signature of life." Which is still pretty huge, if you ask me.

If true, however, the implications could be staggering beyond the simple revelation that life exists elsewhere in the cosmos, of course. "Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth," speculated SETI Institute senior astronomer Dr. Seth Shostak.

"It would suggest, well, life didn't really begin on the Earth, it began as the solar system was forming."

Or maybe life was intentionally seeded here as part of a grand scheme by the Forerunners as they built their installations to contain the threat of the Flood, and -- no, wait, that's Halo.

Either way, this is some pretty heavy stuff. It could be a false alarm, but if this is our first real hint that we are not alone in the universe? Holy crap.

(Yahoo News [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/])

John, I am pretty sure this claim is full of it, and is a last ditch try for this website (Journal of Cosmology) to retain its relevance. They've already said they are going out of business.

Note:

http://daviddobbs.posterous.com/journal-of-cosmology-going-out-with-big-bang

Also please check a bit around the web. JOC isn't a well respected site, and any scientist who publishes BEFORE peer reviewing is suspect.

Here is Phil Plait's Views:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/05/has-life-been-found-in-a-meteorite/#more-29102

Sedweiler

Dec 5, 2009
Hmm... Fascinating.

Will be waiting for further validation.
I just hope that it ISN'T some alien bacteria, that they accidentally resurrect, which ends up wiping out most of humanity, while the survivors have to fend of against infected mutants.

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
Well it's tax season in America so that means it's time for NASA to do something to look kind of relevent and get people on their side when they ask for their slice of the revenue.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I'm still skeptical. Not that there's extra-terrestrial life, that seems like pretty much a given considering the size of the universe. It just seems highly unlikely that any given meteorite would have these kinds of fossils. I'm keeping an open mind because I hope it is true, but for now I'm going to wait and see.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
I'll only start to be interested when I start hearing reports of 'signs of sentient life', of course bacteria is going to exist but I wanna see extraterrestrials that we can actually interact with.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
If this Hoover guy starts running around in a spiffy black costume we may need to do something before we have a full on Venom situation on our hands.

Jun 7, 2010
I'm not even remotely convinced, I wait for this "extraordinary evidince" with bated breath. However I thought we already knew that there's life out there, it's inevitable, I'm not getting exited unless i see A) hot alien babes or B) spaceships.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Easton Dark said:
Like anyone expected there not to be.

WorldCritic said:
Pheh. Asari SmechSmari. I want to ride a Krogan.
Two words;

Salarian.

Musicals.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Nouw said:

Personally, I don't consider finding Xenomorphs as "wonderful news".

OT: Wasn't there similar findings from Mars?

captcha: ungra Bürgertum

What the hell is a "Bürger"?

Feb 13, 2008
Sorry to come down all cynical (Surprising I know), but he told Fox News?

We have a similar publication here...

Once it gets to CNN, or even the National Enquirer, I'll consider it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Moonpooman said:
Nouw said:
Personally, I don't consider finding Xenomorphs as "wonderful news".
I don't blame you good sir. At least it ain't the thing.

Et Australus

Mar 6, 2011
How can anyone believe in the nonsense that spews out of NASA! They are BROKE! They NEED MONEY!!! So what better way to try get it - discover alien life forms hidden in a piece of rock from another planet. Oh, that would be worthy of receiving a trillion bucks of wasted tax payers money to divert the scientific funds into some other hidden project, like star wars perhaps? Or better still, the secret research involving hybrid DNA experiments to construct the alien life forms...

NASA is just an emporium of mad scientists and Buck Rogers of the 21st century.

Oh, and regarding the statue of Elvis discovered on Mars, it's not Elvis - it's Gary Glitter for your information. That's obvious by the way the sunlight glitters off it's surface.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
What OP failed to mention is that the fossil was a big one.

Those worms are actualy 50 metres long.

This is some Muad D'ib shit bruh,

Drop A Deuce!

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I don't get the people who "hope" this is real, what hope or joy do you get from the knowledge that there are lifeforms elsewhere? What does it matter?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Of course we aren't the only life in the universe. There are billions of stars out there, all potential energy sources for nearby planets/meteors/meteorites/what have you. So what are the chances that none of them provide that energy for some type of life form? 0%. It's pretty obvious when you look at it from a perspective of probability.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Well, anyone that had put money on life outside our own been found is a happy camper today // Now I'm sure know one ever believe that the first life we find out there would be anything the movies but this possibly shows some where over the rainbow aliens fly

-M

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Nouw said:

You sure that would be awesome?
Shady corporations always seem intent on bringing Xenomorphs to Earth, and Wayland Yutani have never been known for their ability to contain the bastards.

OT: Awesome. Dunno why he went on Fox with it though. They'll be slapping their heads screaming "IT WAS GOD, GOD I TELL YOU!"

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
Nouw said:

Shady corporations always seem intent on bringing Xenomorphs to Earth, and Wayland Yutani have never been known for their ability to contain the bastards.

OT: Awesome. Dunno why he went on Fox with it though. They'll be slapping their heads screaming "IT WAS GOD, GOD I TELL YOU!"
I knew I should have worded it as Asari >.>

Erm I never said Xenomorph! *Shoots.

Et Australus

Mar 6, 2011
I recently had the opportunity of meeting a NASA scientist at a convention held in Worcestershire Eng, and asked him if he believed flying saucers really existed and what were they most likely constructed of. He confirmed they do indeed exist and after carefully studying several varieties, he concluded all of them were made of bone china.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Nouw said:
RobCoxxy said:
Nouw said:

I knew I should have worded it as Asari >.>

Erm I never said Xenomorph! *Shoots.
I'm fine with that. Or Turians. They're awesome.
As long as the Asari don't explode our minds post-brain-coitus it's a'ight.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
"There are some that are just very strange and don't look like anything that I've been able to identify, and I've shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump."

That is the most exciting sentence in this whole article.
Let's just hope said bacteria isn't the dreaded solanmum. (for those who are behind on their must read book list, solanmum is the zombie virus as named by max brooks zombie survival guide)

This is certainly exciting news but it does disappoint me that we could've found out so much sooner if more scientists 'considered it possible'. I often feel this attitude of cynicism within the scientific community towards the paranormal holds the potential to better understand this field back.

Still, well done to the guy for going against this common problem.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
ianrocks6495 said:
scarab7 said:
Not event the Zorgons like a kiss ass!

Seriously though, this is big. Well it's actually microscopic, but it's still amazing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Still no Asari...

Well i cannot wait until we find one form of Alien life out there that is sentient(according to Sci0fi definition) that tells us we are not the only humanoid in the world. We are not the smartest thing out there. And the division of ourselves like this should stop so we can meet our new friends from beyond with open arms and a unified defense for the worse instead of a raised shield and a scattered non-uniform line.

I believe what i want to and i want to believe aliens exist. Some are Asari. Some are Turians. When we make first contact we will form up as a collective race ruled by a council of the GOOD and JUST(not old and corrupt). And that when we do earth will be a better place. But i won't give a shit about earth because i will be on the planet with the gorgeous blue sex magnets.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
John Funk said:
Wait is Halo not real?
and
"I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet Earth,"
As opposed to ZOMG aluns!

RainingCobalt

Nov 10, 2010
Holy - the day of the triffids is upon us! :O

... But in all seriousness, this is pretty interesting, and probability does say something like this would have happened eventually.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
It would be interesting if they'd realize that those meteorite bacteria were what started life here on Earth in the first place (meteorite crashing and bringing life here).

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
WillN7 said:
Lol nice Halo reference. I'm assuming that it hasn't been reviewed by a whole lot of other scientists yet, because it hasn't been a huge news headline. Cause I mean, if it's 100% proven that any form of extraterrestrial life has been found, shouldn't it be big news all over the place, newspapers, TV, magazines, etc? Or will people still care more about what Snooki had for breakfast that morning.
Yes...but you haven't realized that the mass media appeals to idiots, failures and generally genetically-useless people. And the other 40% of the world who haven't discovered the Escapist yet, thankfully. They won't report on a "possible" claim that can be shot down, especially when it's one guy vs. the entirety of the scientific community, even if this claim has a good basis in relation to the provided evidence.

And even if they did report on it, people wouldn't care. If they did, they would have been as excited as me when they found GFAJ-1.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
So you make this big discovery, and your first outlet for telling people is the least truthful news organization that's ever existed? Good choice.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GrimTuesday said:
Awesome, I really hope we can be friends with all our alien contacts [sub]if only to exploit them mwhahaha[/sub]

While I understand this is a joke, it still raises an interesting point. When/if aliens do arrive they are going to be greeted by men in labcoats, hazmat suits, and possibly military uniforms. After the life forms have been slaughtered and are prepared for inspection we may have just established the world's first intergalactic grudge. I really hate to be sounding so serious about this silliness, but movies like Paul and ET kind of reflect what might happen, and how we need to protect our possible planet neighbors from the government.

God, this post sounds so retarded.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onyxious said:
GrimTuesday said:

While I understand this is a joke, it still raises an interesting point. When/if aliens do arrive they are going to be greeted by men in labcoats, hazmat suits, and possibly military uniforms. After the life forms have been slaughtered and are prepared for inspection we may have just established the world's first intergalactic grudge. I really hate to be sounding so serious about this silliness, but movies like Paul and ET kind of reflect what might happen, and how we need to protect our possible planet neighbors from the government.

Not to me. Wile i want nothing more than a Star Trek like first contact i know that it will result in Mass Effect first Contact in which we start a war due to our own foolishness. That or Nerds need to grab firearms and force the government off of the Aliens.

For the record Star Trek is peaceful and shaking first contact.

ME first contact is Turians whooping our asses because we were trying to crank up a mass relay which was against Citadel law to start one back up if its destination was unknown.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Soooo, NASA have found a used condom in space? Great for them.

I was even more surprised that a nasa space vessel actually made it out of earths atmosphere for once, I think that deserves a special mention too, its a rare event.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
wooty said:

I was even more surprised that a nasa space vessel actually made it out of earths atmosphere for once, I think that deserves a special mention too, its a rare event.
To be fair the budget they have allows them only 50 bucks, a box of paper clips, a box of tooth picks, and some 80s computer parts.

GO SCIENCE FUNDING FTW!

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
I'm no scientist but can they clone alien dna, jurrasic park style? That would be awesome, havin a little alien bacteria! Please, anyone with any sciemtific knowledge answer?

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
RT-shotgun-support said:
wooty said:

To be fair the budget they have allows them only 50 bucks, a box of paper clips, a box of tooth picks, and some 80s computer parts.

GO SCIENCE FUNDING FTW!
I heard they were planning to use monkeys so they didn't have to pay any real astronauts.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/41880089

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
So... here's for hoping that the claim of alien bacteria having been found in meteorites is actually true for once.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
I don't get the people who "hope" this is real, what hope or joy do you get from the knowledge that there are lifeforms elsewhere? What does it matter?
The idea, as best I can express it, is that a general factual acknowledgement by the public at large of our adjusted place in the universe (not alone, potentially IMMINENT threats and opportunities out there in the vast expanses between the planets and stars) could lead to a substantial increase in science funding the world over: something that is sorely needed.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
darthricardo said:
Eh, this isn't huge news for me. Really, in my honest opinion, the universe is too huge not to have life. It's merely a question of:
a) How far away?
b) How much?
Really, finding a little microscopic organism isn't that impressive. There's bound to be something somewhere, of course.
Of course the concept of life other places in the universe is, but the discovery of life is something different.

Saying that the possibility of there being life on other planets based on size, that chance is pretty big.
The chance of life being discovered from a meteorite that has about 99% chance of bruning up in the atmosphere and almost no chance of getting sucked into the gravity of Earth. Now that is a small chance.

Still, I'd be more interestred if they could find any genetic material inside it or maybe proof that this is a bacteria, perhaps show us a picture made by a TEM microscope. As someone said before, for the untrained eye anything can looklike an actual organism.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The problem with discovering bacteria in meteroids and marking them as aliens is the following:
There are lots o bacteria on earth and we know just a fracture of them. If you discover some bacteria you will have to prove that they can't be from earth...
Which is like proving that there is no needle in the hay stack.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:

God damnit! >_<

Argee'd, seriously, I hope Mass Effect was conjured up when one of Bioware's lead writers took a time machine to 2185, that would be great(bar the heretic geth, the fact that almost no one likes humans, the Batarians and the REEPAHS(I also hope Bolo Santosi from Just Cause 2 is the ruler of them))

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Anyone who thinks Earth is the only oasis of life in the Universe is an idiot who needs to be flayed with spiked chains.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:

God damnit! >_<

I thought you put no discovery of Aslan yet, then I realized that he was already real.....and well of course, people who don't think there is anything else alive out there are a tad bonkers, come on...think about it.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
It helps not to get too over excited about this. The reason the bacteria resemble earth bacteria is because it is earth bacteria. And the fact that there are millions of other bacteria species not yet discovered (or speciated) explains the unidentified species, which is the only real discovery in this article.

Basically, the sample is contaminated. The fact that there is ice in the meteor confirms this as they heat up to extreme temperatures upon entering the atmosphere & any cosmic ice is evaporated (if there was ET bacteria it would be sterilised by the heat) & filled with earth water that has been frozen. The real surprise is that there isnt more bacteria in the meteor sample but this could be put down to the low temp of the water & high temp of the rock.

The trouble with some scientists is that they want to believe their theories are true even if further evidence or simple explainations prove otherwise.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
The count down till the Necromorphs has begun.
On a more serious note, that's pretty interesting. I've heard for years now that bacteria has been found outside of earth, but it's nice to see a genuine report on the matter. Could this mean life on earth arrived on something as random as a stray comet? And if so, where did this rock come from...

Interesting stuff.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Just so we're clear, Escapist.

This is a Titanospirillum velox [http://www.pnas.org/content/96/20/11584.full], a terrestrial bacterium which had its image included in the paper because it resembles the filaments in the meteor in question. It is not an image of the proposed [http://journalofcosmology.com/images/HooverFigure1d.jpg] lifeform [http://journalofcosmology.com/images/HooverFigure1a.jpg].

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Onyxious said:
GrimTuesday said:

I have to agree with that. first contact being made by hostile-looking governments and military men is one hell of a way to make an awful first impression. Of course, we must protect ourselves, hazmat suits being a must, and a few guards would be good, but few enough as to not seem too hostile.

But the worst case scenario is this: what of area 51 is really conducting inhumane experiments on aliens, and what if they find out?

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
tbh I think its SO obvious that there is life out there other than us that its just a matter of time, I wont be surprised when its eventually discovered, only happy or amazed at what it is. if this IS it, then awesome!

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
It's an impressive thought. I'd really prefer if we found some evidence of megafauna, though. Hell, megaflora would be alright. But, of course, those things are pretty hard to find in a meteorite. Shame.

Many escapists have mentioned that the crediblity of this article is very poor, or at least lacking. I have to agree, despite not being involved in the scientific community too much.

I won't be satisfied until we go out there and find them first. How about we be the technologically-advanced overlords for once?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Allan53 said:
Ninja'd

Still, it's nice to know I was alive when the Human race answered one of the 4 great questions.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
What is interesting is that if it is life it seems similar to life already here. "Dr. Hoover has concluded they are indigenous to these meteors and are similar to trichomic cyanobacteria and other trichomic prokaryotes such as filamentous sulfur bacteria"

Which suggest that life could've originated elsewhere and then "seeded" the earth. There is a theory that meteorites contain the necessary chemicals to be the site of the origin of life.

EDIT: although it is going to need a lot more looking into.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
... Does this mean Panspermia is the right answer?

Other then that, AWESOME!

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
N.1 Ninja Of 2010 said:
Allan53 said:
Ninja'd

Still, it's nice to know I was alive when the Human race answered one of the 4 great questions.
ok, excuse my ignorance but what are the other 3 great queastions?

Captcha words: Chaos Emeralds(looks like something enjoys Sonic games)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Really? No offense but we've discovered alien bacteria in meteorites before, why is every scientist freaking out when he finds it and acting like it's the most shocking thing ever? No offense to anyone excited by this, but this scientist is just one of a few who already studied alien bacteria in fossils before, this isn't really that new... >.>

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Josh12345 said:
N.1 Ninja Of 2010 said:
Allan53 said:
Ninja'd

4. Is time travel possible?

3. Are we alone in the universe?

2. Is there life after death?

1. Why?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Okey, once again; When they are intelligent enough to have a conversation with, let us know. In the mean time, NASA, stop hyping bacteria as "extra terrestrial life".

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Just like that 'arsenic bacteria" ? That was highly critized because it's quite possibly caused by an error of the lab personell.

This is probably the same deal - perhaps the asteroid/rock was contaminated when they dragged it out of wherever it fell.

seagoon said:
I'm no scientist but can they clone alien dna, jurrasic park style? That would be awesome, havin a little alien bacteria! Please, anyone with any sciemtific knowledge answer?
Impossible. If it is alien, it is _extremely_ unlikely that it's DNA has the same chemical composition as terrestial DNA. I'm not sure that matters though - I doubt that any genetic material will stay intact during such a journey through space + reentry of the atmosphere.

thiosk said:
It is important to point out that if you look at ANYTHING under a scanning electron microscope, you can see features that look lifelike.

Garbage.

Edit:

Ok, I've gone through the article a bit. I'm not a cosmologist, but I do publish scientific articles in journals for a living. And "peer reviewed" does not mean "good." The first red flag is that this paper is available for free from the journal. The top multidisciplinary journal on earth is Science. Check it out at http://www.sciencemag.org. Neat huh? Try to read an article.

Ohhhh, you can't, unless you are in a library or at a university, or otherwise have some kind of subscription or are a AAAS member. Sometimes they'll hand the articles out to just anyone, but usually not. Theres rules for all that. This is an open publication journal. The idea sounds attractive on paper; lets have journals designed to get pioneering papers to the public faster! This isn't meant to get information to the public, this is meant to make a splash in the news media. This paper will go on the pile with all the other mineralized fossil bacteria from mars papers and everyone

The last time "life" was found that did get into Science. Turns out it was just funny wiggly things in SEM images. Oh look! These are funny wiggly things in SEM images. With chemicals on them! I forgot to properly clean some silicon wafers a few months back, and when I analyzed the surfaces by EDS I found all sorts of nitrogen, carbon, oxygen. Its called "shit that gets all over everything because you are on the planet earth, and probably anywhere else in the universe"

Where this manuscript starts grinding my gears is the random figures and images are thrown in there. Throw in enough figures and anything looks legit. The pictures of comets and meteroites and moons and what not? Utterly useless, and would not be included in a proper scientific manuscript.

I like this post :)

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
N.1 Ninja Of 2010 said:
Josh12345 said:
N.1 Ninja Of 2010 said:
Allan53 said:
Ninja'd

4. Is time travel possible?

3. Are we alone in the universe?

2. Is there life after death?

1. What is the meaning of life/The Universe/Everything?
Why? is a bit unclear. so I edited it.

..And we already have an answer for that.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Emergent said:
The idea, as best I can express it, is that a general factual acknowledgement by the public at large of our adjusted place in the universe (not alone, potentially IMMINENT threats and opportunities out there in the vast expanses between the planets and stars) could lead to a substantial increase in science funding the world over: something that is sorely needed.
So a bunch of gamers really really really care about the funds scientists are getting?

o_O

Okay......

Unless your'e talking about funding for, say, how to destroy or divert a meteor on a collision course with earth, that is funding I can understand people would want scientists to receive.

But I doubt that a bunch of gamers really care about that and are more excited about this because "ooooooh! Aliens!"

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
John Funk said:
Not everyone is convinced, of course. Dr. David Marais, an astrobiologist at NASA's AMES Research Center, says that similar claims have been made before and proven wrong - and that a discovery of this magnitude will need solid evidence rather than conjecture. "It's an extraordinary claim, and thus I'll need extraordinary evidence," Marais said. Until the claims could be independently verified, said Marais, this was merely a "potential signature of life." Which is still pretty huge, if you ask me. But then again, I'm not a scientist.
Is it really such an extraordinary claim that life could exist on other places than earth? Or does she mean this particular example? Because, while I can agree with her if she means this particular example, looking at the size of the universe that we know at the moment, it really is more likely that there is other life -somewhere-. I think Steven Hawking hypothesized that, there should be several billion planets with the capability of life, like the Earth throughout the universe, and at least some of those should have actual life on. Which is fucking AWESOME. :D

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
thiosk said:

Agreed. Real scientific journals don't throw that stuff in there, and this "journal" just kind of added them in totally meaningless ways. They don't contribute to it besides saying "Hey look, that kinda resembles something you remember from Bio 110, right?".

Further, check out the advertisements on the top and bottom of the page. Real Journals do not advertise books that you can purchase on Amazon. The books aren't even for fully developed fields of study. Abiogenesis is essentially a hypothesis that's still being developed due to how hard it is to actually find any research or evidence on the origins of life. And as for "Life on Earth Came from Other Planets", this is again an unsupported claim, one even less tenable than abiogenesis.

Now, I would love for this article to be true. Really, I would. It would be a fascinating discovery. But this kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. Someone thinks they have made some amazing break through or discovery, only to realize a week later that they're just hyping up some vague research. One example was only a few months ago, when the media started announcing NASA has discovered some kind of new life in arsenic pools or whatnot in California. The claim was that arsenic was part of this bacteria's DNA, which would have been pretty remarkable. But two days later, WOOPS! Turns out that no one reporting it actually read the paper, and no where did they confirm that the bacteria had arsenic-DNA, simply that it managed to survive in environments with arsenic. The DNA bit was just pure speculation. This is when hype ruins science.

Another famous case? Look up "Cold Fusion" on Wikipedia. Seriously, this stuff happens every now and then. If the media thinks it's some kind of "Earth-shaking-discovery" odds are it's crap. Oh, and they announced this on Fox. I think most gamers are aware of their journalistic standards. Just sayin'.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Fossils of alien bacteria? Does this sound like a horror scenario involving body snatching bacterias to anyone?

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I was kinda hoping for something bigger than a bacteria. And by the looks of most of my fellow posters, so were they. Oh, well. At least bacteria is something.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
If this is real: Yay science!

If not: Aww. Yay science anyway.

Joshimodo said:
I for one welcome our new microscopic overlords.
Thanks for making me laugh.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Stevepinto3 said:
thiosk said:
-snip-

-snip-

Now, I would love for this article to be true. Really, I would. It would be a fascinating discovery. But this kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. Someone thinks they have made some amazing break through or discovery, only to realize a week later that they're just hyping up some vague research. One example was only a few months ago, when the media started announcing NASA has discovered some kind of new life in arsenic pools or whatnot in California. The claim was that arsenic was part of this bacteria's DNA, which would have been pretty remarkable. But two days later, WOOPS! Turns out that no one reporting it actually read the paper, and no where did they confirm that the bacteria had arsenic-DNA, simply that it managed to survive in environments with arsenic. The DNA bit was just pure speculation. This is when hype ruins science.
Agree with you both: this is the work of a hype machine. He went with it to Fox News for crying out loud.

I skimmed the paper, and as far as I understood the core argument was this (correct me if I skimmed too fast, but it was skimming after all): There is "too little" nitrogen in the (claimed) bacteria for them to have decayed "naturally" in a period of <150 years (the age of the meteorites studied). Even trilobites have more nitrogen (per mass) in them than these bacteria. Also, the bacteria seem to be "embedded" in the rock matrix, suggesting that they were there when the meteorite landed. His excessively extrapolated conclusion is aliens. Yea. Because we don't have rock-eating bacteria on earth, and nitrogen isn't kinda reactive.
Phil Plait (www.badastronomy.com) said:
Also, I feel I need to mention this as well: in my opinion, The Journal of Cosmology has published articles in the past that can charitably be called "shaky" (like this anti-Big Bang paper [http://journalofcosmology.com/Cosmology4.html]). One of their editors, Chandra Wickramasinghe, has made some pretty outrageous claims [http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/10/27/is-nasa-hiding-life-on-mars-i-seriously-doubt-it/] about NASA and life in space (links to some of his other odd claims can be found at that page as well). However, this does not necessarily mean that Hoover?s work is any more suspect than any other scientific claim! But it does mean I will cast an especially-skeptical eye on claims made in papers published by them. Others agree [http://koppernigk.net/2011/03/05/what-about-claims-of-extraterrestrial-life-in-the-journal-of-cosmology/] as well.
Source [http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/05/has-life-been-found-in-a-meteorite/]
Also, the Journal of Cosmology is going out of business [http://daviddobbs.posterous.com/journal-of-cosmology-going-out-with-big-bang]. Don't draw any hasty conclusions, their business model is rather strange from the start.

PS: thiosk: your choice of career and taste in comics both make me happy.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
It would've been cool if it were something, exactly like ALF :(

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Does this mean that Pfizer's going to develop and market anti-alienbiotics?

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Emergent said:
So a bunch of gamers really really really care about the funds scientists are getting?

o_O

Okay......

Unless your'e talking about funding for, say, how to destroy or divert a meteor on a collision course with earth, that is funding I can understand people would want scientists to receive.

But I doubt that a bunch of gamers really care about that and are more excited about this because "ooooooh! Aliens!"
Some people (including me) are fairly interested in the world we live in. I don't think playing video games has anything to do with that, so it doesn't matter if it's "a bunch of gamers".
Besides, what is wrong with "ooooooh! Aliens!"?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
This is sweet! Space exploration needs something concrete like this to spark interest and revitalize the industry.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Well it ain't no Predators, but this is pretty big news. I hope this is real. I truly do.

[sub]Though I do want Predators...[/sub]

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Bloodstain said:
Emergent said:

o_O

Okay......

Some people (including me) are fairly interested in the world we live in. I don't think playing video games has anything to do with that, so it doesn't matter if it's "a bunch of gamers".
Weird that you would find such a feeble stereotype of gamers posted by a member of a pro-gaming website's community. Assuming the poster isn't an interloping anti-gaming troll.

Not that I really care one way or the other. All I care about is taking a huge bong hit, getting comfy on the couch, and spending the rest of the day playing Call of Duty. Fuck all that dumb shit about aliens. And Libya. And a balanced budget. And collective bargaining rights. Who gives a rat's ass?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
FungiGamer said:
Look at the source

FOX NEWS

I rest my case, move along everyone nothing to see here
<link=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20039658-501465.html>ahem.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Ekonk said:
FungiGamer said:
Look at the source

FOX NEWS

Meh, it could've been CBS doing the story themselves and taking it from FOX as news reporters usually do, but either way I'm not getting my hopes up at this point

Best quote I've seen all day: "Now if only we could find some intelligent life on OUR planet"

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
John Funk said:
"Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth," speculated SETI Institute senior astronomer Dr. Seth Shostak.
That's meaningful. Surely he's not an ET enthusiast, is he?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Haha!

Halo reference instead of ME/DN/etc? YES!

Ahem.

Anyways, didn't we find fossilzed bacteria on a metorite way back in 2004 or something anyways?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
AbundantRedundancy said:
John Funk said:
"Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth," speculated SETI Institute senior astronomer Dr. Seth Shostak.
Kinda reminds me of the story (or perhaps "myth" is the word) of the bullet that's fired, passes through a man's testicles, picks up his sperm on it, and then goes to to land in a woman's uterus, impregnating her.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Skepticism aside, here's the panic point of view thanks to hollywood/gaming: DON'T TRY TO CLONE THE FUCKING THINGS!!!

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
many claims like this have been made before, so i wont hold my breath. frankly, no one will be satisfied until we find actual 'living' life anyway. thinking about it, finding a giant space dragon skeleton would probably be a disappointment; as awesome as it really is, all it does is make you want to see it when it was alive. given how these claims usually go, it would probably end up being a very oddly structured rock formation anyway.

....what was this article about again? all i remember is space dragons.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Ekonk said:
FungiGamer said:
Look at the source

FOX NEWS

<link=http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/06/nasa-scientist-evidence-extraterrestrial-life>ahem again.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
I do. We need printable organs fast. ;)

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
So much apathy, so many haters.

even single cell organisms that come from different planets could be scientifically important and could tell us alot about life itself and how it comes about. The enviroments it can endure, that maybe do not exist on our planet.

who knows? maybe we'll find that they are similar to earth organisms which implies that, if the conditions were right, there could be animal or intelligent life around.

It could speak of our origins on Earth.

all you guys are like "*yawn* lame, if it doesnt have tentacles and 3 boobs I'm not interested."

As if it's easy to find sentient beings, we don't even know for sure if faster than light speed is possible yet, you'll be lucky to see a spacefish in our solar system.

liven up you miserable gits.

personally if they are out there i think they are watching us like some kind of alien Attenborough, and they follow the prime directive.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
So my theory that the big bang was just a giant ejaculation, may still be correct? Interesting...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
thiosk said:

Garbage.

Edit:

God, what a buzzkill!

I just want to believe, man! Put your skepticism away for a moment at let us non-cosmologists and non-scientists to believe.

Still, could be an interesting discovery. We'll just have to wait to see what comes out from it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Boring. Until they say they found humanoids or some interesting beasts then i dont care.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I just have a hard time getting excited over bacteria. Not that I don't see what finding alien bacteria means for our search of extra-terrestial life, but a microscopic worm isn't exactly an amazing revelation either.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I strongly believe there is life other places in the universe. It only makes sense. I don't believe that organisms must be carbon based and breathe oxygen. To quote jeff Goldblum in JP "life will find a way." I believe given the right conditions life can form just about anywhere.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
The_Emperor said:

even single cell organisms that come from different planets could be scientifically important and could tell us alot about life itself and how it comes about. The enviroments it can endure, that maybe do not exist on our planet.

who knows? maybe we'll find that they are similar to earth organisms which implies that, if the conditions were right, there could be animal or intelligent life around.

all you guys are like "*yawn* lame, if it doesnt have tentacles and 3 boobs I'm not interested."

As if it's easy to find sentient beings, we don't even know for sure if faster than light speed is possible yet, you'll be lucky to see a spacefish in our solar system.

personally if they are out there i think they are watching us like some kind of alien Attenborough, and they follow the prime directive.
Excuse me? People here are going into massive amounts of depth scrutinizing every last detail about the quality and history of the publication and research. If we aren't jumping on our chairs with joy it's because we aren't convinced by one widely-distributed journal of rather shady quality publishing such outlandish (literally) claims with such little evidence. Oh, and sorry for being such a miserable git, it's definitely not like this gets claimed many times a year.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Bloodstain said:
Emergent said:

o_O

Okay......

I too am interested in the world WE live in, aliens on the other hand are not from this world.
There is nothing WRONG with being excited, I was merely stating that I don't get it.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Let us hope this isn't another ALH 84001 incident. I would love to live through one of our most important discoveries.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Oh fuck yeah, I want to pal around and get Drunk with a Krogan!

On second thought, I retract that. But if there are no alien communication in my lifetime, I'm going up kicking someones ass.

By Up I mean the afterlife, not space.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
And cue Necromorph outbreak in 3-2-ohsweetjesusmylungs!

Excuse me while I move to Holland... You never see an alien invasion movie involving Holland. And then, weed is legal :)

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
JDKJ said:
AbundantRedundancy said:
John Funk said:
Kinda reminds me of the story (or perhaps "myth" is the word) of the bullet that's fired, passes through a man's testicles, picks up his sperm on it, and then goes to to land in a woman's uterus, impregnating her.
..and that's how you explain panspermia to 50 Cent.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Bloodstain said:
I too am interested in the world WE live in, aliens on the other hand are not from this world.
There is nothing WRONG with being excited, I was merely stating that I don't get it.
When I say "world", I mean the whole universe. Or, as Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World] puts it: "[...] everything that constitutes reality."
I'm not only interested in our tiny planet, but all planets and potential life forms. So if I have the chance to learn more about the latter (in this case: learning that it might exist), I'm more than happy to take it.
Some people like to know things just for the sake of knowing. I am one of those people. This has nothing to do with whether you are a "gamer" or not.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Is there other life in the galaxy? Give the question to Dr. Sheldon Cooper. He'll sort it out. :)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Jumplion said:
God, what a buzzkill!

I just want to believe, man! Put your skepticism away for a moment at let us non-cosmologists and non-scientists to believe.

Still, could be an interesting discovery. We'll just have to wait to see what comes out from it.
Required reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001

This whole thing happened once already, except last time, it was in the top scientific journal in the world, and the president of the united states got on TV and told us all about the martian life.

Its been discredited and the researchers tucked their tails and got on to their next project.

similar.squirrel said:
Let us hope this isn't another ALH 84001 incident.
It is, just small time instead of big time. Rehashed and respouted.

arife

Nov 24, 2009
Go to phyrangula to read a pretty good debunking of the paper. One thing about the original paper is that it continuously changes the scale of the photos. Some of the supposed life forms are orders of magnitude larger then others. The paper is also filled with lots useless fluff, indicative of a bad paper. I believe that there is probably life in the universe. That does not mean that it is in our galaxy or that it is common. Also the claim about it being the most reviewed paper ever, is that he plans on it being so not that it has actually been peer reviewed at all.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
cairocat said:
The_Emperor said:

Excuse me? People here are going into massive amounts of depth scrutinizing every last detail about the quality and history of the publication and research. If we aren't jumping on our chairs with joy it's because we aren't convinced by one widely-distributed journal of rather shady quality publishing such outlandish (literally) claims with such little evidence. Oh, and sorry for being such a miserable git, it's definitely not like this gets claimed many times a year.
I doubt the whole thread are delving into the intricacies of this, alot of the posts I saw merely stated "if it isn't sentient then I'm not interested"

Just because it's happened before doesn't neccessarily mean it's untrue either. Fair enough it's not a major science journal, that still doesn't rule out the possibility he might be right.

My point still stands, unless someone WAAY more qualified than us comes out and proves it wrong, without a doubt, we shouldn't be so dismissive. Regardless of the low probability that this body of work becoming the, revolutionary, confirmation of extra terrestial life.

Everyone on the escapist seems so negative all the time. I agree this story probably isn't "the one" either, I just get sick of the negativity in these forums lol

Oh and apology accepted.

arife

Nov 24, 2009
The_Emperor said:
cairocat said:
The_Emperor said:

Just because it's happened before doesn't neccessarily mean it's untrue either. Fair enough it's not a major science journal, that still doesn't rule out the possibility he might be right.

My point still stands, unless someone WAAY more qualified than us comes out and proves it wrong, without a doubt, we shouldn't be so dismissive. Regardless of the low probability that this body of work becoming the, revolutionary, confirmation of extra terrestial life.

Everyone on the escapist seems so negative all the time. I agree this story probably isn't "the one" either, I just get sick of the negativity in these forums lol

Oh and apology accepted.
I would disagree with your second point. Its not the job of a qualified person to debunk the claim. Its the job of the person making the claim to give enough evidence and support for his claim to make it convincing. I see the argument often that an argument should not dismiss an idea till its completely debunked. I think you should remain skeptical until the idea has enough suport.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
arife said:
I would disagree with your second point. Its not the job of a qualified person to debunk the claim. Its the job of the person making the claim to give enough evidence and support for his claim to make it convincing. I see the argument often that an argument should not dismiss an idea till its completely debunked. I think you should remain skeptical until the idea has enough suport.
The more I see of this research the shittier it looks tbh, I thought it was a "real" paper :(

Yeah, I was more aiming towards the people who didnt even check it out because it wasn't a Kling On and sorta just dismissed because it was suggested that it was a microbe.

I don't think people realise how much we can learn from a small microbe from outer space.

arife

Nov 24, 2009
Ya i agree that if we truly did find microbe fossils on an asteroid that would be amazing. It reminds me of a Brian Regan joke about the search for extra terrestrial intelligence, and he says we have found life on Venus its just really dumb, so no one cares.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
thiosk said:
Jumplion said:
God, what a buzzkill!

Required reading:

This whole thing happened once already, except last time, it was in the top scientific journal in the world, and the president of the united states got on TV and told us all about the martian life.

Its been discredited and the researchers tucked their tails and got on to their next project.

similar.squirrel said:
Gosh, you're such a buzzkill, man! Stop inserting skepticism and logic and just let ignorance take you!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Its only a matter of time before the fanatical Christians began to bash the findings because of the idea that that life on Earth did not begin here.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
Well, I'd love to see them try to prove that this is something from a place other than Earth.

Oops, there seems to be an air of sarcasm in this sentence, just to clarify: I'm serious, I hope it's a breakthrough. If it's not, well, at least they tried.

Leave aside it being real or fake at the moment and let the scientists and researchers do their thing, and for a while, imagine how it would be like if we'd proven that there was actually life that formed outside our planet, or our solar system... It would answer so many questions about how we came to be, about how things began, about religion, philosophy, and science, and will open up tons more questions for old and new generations of scientists to answer... Imagine how awesome it would be to have this kind of development in your lifetime.

It would make the vast, HUGE FUCKIN' universe that some of us have only begun to understand in scale seem a tad bit smaller (figuratively... in truth, it's still HUGE FUCKIN' GINORMOUS).

Man, I'm not assuming anything but I HOPE this thing's the real deal.

I'm all excited again. :3

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
Its only a matter of time before the fanatical Christians began to bash the findings because of the idea that that life on Earth did not begin here.
I was hoping to say this but then I was afraid I'd incur wrath... And I'm already hearing something along the lines of science being some kind of evil cult... again...

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Fox News, via Yahoo News

Fox News

Fox

I want to believe, but I'll need some more convincing, from other sources.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I like how both the Escapist and the Science Blogs rebuttal linked complain that the website came out of the 1990's.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Jumplion said:
thiosk said:
Jumplion said:
God, what a buzzkill!

Required reading:

similar.squirrel said:
Gosh, you're such a buzzkill, man! Stop inserting skepticism and logic and just let ignorance take you!
Haha, I really enjoyed your posts. Thiosk for your critical thinking, and Jumplion for your humor.

If I were to insert anything, it'd be a reiteration of a line in the OP: "It's an extraordinary claim, and thus I'll need extraordinary evidence,". Truly words to live by.

Dammit, sometimes I wish I could just sit back and enjoy extravagant claims. Life is so *BLEH* and *WERJKALF*. Anything awesome is always 'too good to be true'. Truth of the matter is, though, that the truth isn't always awesome. In fact, much of the time, it isn't >=(

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Jumplion said:
You're right. Hope and change! Soon everyone will be shitting rainbows and mainlining chocolate syrup!!!!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fantastic!

I hope this gets verified beyond reasonable doubt.

Gives credit to the theory about faecal matter on asteroids n such could have sparked life on earth.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
thiosk said:
Jumplion said:
God, what a buzzkill!

Required reading:

similar.squirrel said:
So you're basing you're disbelief on the fact that people were wrong before?

Or am I missing something?

Just because Alan Hills was wrongly analysed doesn't mean this is going to turn out to be a mistake too.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Now, I may just be finishing up my second year in college, but my professors have noted several times that fossilized microbes are impossible to find on Earth. The chances of finding one in a meteorite? Personally, i think it's just a small "bubble", so to speak. Similar to the bubbles that form in ice, but smaller.

Don't get excited folks.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
dathwampeer said:

Just because Alan Hills was wrongly analysed doesn't mean this is going to turn out to be a mistake too.
No, I'm basing it on the fact that its a garbage paper in a fake journal.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
rokkolpo said:
All I want to say is:

SUCK IT JOB!
(Job is a Christian guy in my class)
Well, it looks like this could backfire rather spectacularly on you.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I'll read this article as "A scientist discovered alien life in a meteor, then all evidence was destroyed and his discovery became mocked as a hoax."

But seriously, I'll start believing groundbreaking news like this if it reaches more sources of mainstream news than just one, without getting shot down by someone who knows what he's talking about. If it's a real discovery of alien life, everyone would be talking about it. It would be at least as popular as the Charlie Sheen interviews, and-

...wait a minute...

Charlie Sheen! That's the alien life! Forget the bacteria! The news is covering a sentient being with tiger blood from outer space already!

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I'd be more impressed if they found an extrasolar planet with life.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
Well well. more evidence that there is something out there. Honestly though, when you really think about it. Given the size of the universe and all the countless galaxies, each with billions of stars and trillions of planets, the odds that there is absolutely no other life (sentient or otherwise) out there are so extremely slim it defies logic.

*EDIT* Why can't we just find some damn Quarians. My god, quarian women and their hips from heaven.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i read the article and was instantly sure it was a hoax i mean come on you know better than that escapists it is faux news after all
then i read the up date and the link there and it was obvious this was a crank taking people on a ride

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
thiosk said:
dathwampeer said:

No, I'm basing it on the fact that its a garbage paper in a fake journal.
I don't know enough about the subject to argue. But telling us why it's a garbage paper would be nice.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
thiosk said:
Jumplion said:
You're right. Hope and change! Soon everyone will be shitting rainbows and mainlining chocolate syrup!!!!
That's the spirit!

Roxor said:
Would you turn down a thousand dollars in disgust because its not a million?

OF COURSE YOU'D BE MORE IMPRESSED WITH THAT! SO WHAT!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
They have returned for me.
Soon I will have to leave all of you.
It's been fun.

Good luck.
You're going to need it.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
All this implies is something we could probably figure out already. The universe is teaming with bacteria. Bacteria and viruses which can slip through your atmosphere undetected. Protect your family with Lysol Space Wipes!

Seriously though, nifty news. Too bad none of us will probably live long enough to see live xenobiology discovered. It's the only thing that will appease the cynics.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
dathwampeer said:
I don't know enough about the subject to argue. But telling us why it's a garbage paper would be nice.
I did, its early on the first page.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Sources are Fox News, Yahoo News and Journal of Cosmology...
I wouldn't trust that too much.

pfunkballer45

Mar 7, 2011
Sorry folks, this is a bunch of bull crap. I mean look at the source, Fox News, that should be a dead giveaway right there and the "Journal of Cosmology" is not a real scientific journal either. Check out the link for a further examination: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/did_scientists_discover_bacter.php

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Yeh. PZ Myers tore this the hell apart. At first it looked like he was just doing some ad hominem, but he got past that and definitely convinced me. I thought it sounded pretty damn fishy.

HappyDD

Jul 14, 2009
Well, what a shame... Though the fact that this is in the Journal of Cosmology and not Science or Nature is probably the first clue.

Edit: Crap, seems the PZ Myers link makes the exact same comment.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Saulkar said:
I hate all the pessimism in this thread! I want alien life and I want it NOAW! It is taking to damn long for us to find anything unless we already found it but the public does not know about it because it plans to destroy us all. The G8 are aware of it and want the world to live its carefree existence for whatever little time is left. In which case WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!! DOOMED YA HEAR! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOED'D!!!
I think you're mistaking skepticism for pessimism. As a person familiar with the process of vetting and peer reviewing papers, I can tell you that this guy sounds like Peter Molyneaux at his worst. The number of "first time ever in the history of science" lines just in the article here, for such a mundane thing (hmm, maybe a little Guitar-Hero-Promoting Bobby Kotick thrown in there as well) just screamed at me that this was going to get shot down, burned, buried, encased in cement, and shot into the sun within days.

But that doesn't matter. They posted their outrageous claim, the news got a hold of it, and now it's another in a long line of this stupid, stupid cycle that the media just seems incapable of recognizing.

As for life, it's a very safe bet that it's out there. In fact there's a good chance one of Saturn's moons has its own. However, if you want -Skinned Space Babes, you'll probably have to wait until genetically modified skin color becomes popular among our own species.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I guesse we aren't alone.
There's other things out there that we didn't realize existed.
Don't tell me.
The sky is falling.
Sea's are turning red.
C'thulu's coming.
Tommy Wisuea is a good actor.

No seriously, I was insanely fascinated by this.

mercr452

Jan 17, 2011
So suppose this is 100% scientifically vetted, for example its not a carbon based life-form. I'm curious how religions, specifically Christianity and Islam, would react to aliens. If anyone is well versed in religion I would like to hear your comments. Also I am curious about the story of Genesis and how aliens work into that.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
mercr452 said:
So suppose this is 100% scientifically vetted, for example its not a carbon based life-form. I'm curious how religions, specifically Christianity and Islam, would react to aliens. If anyone is well versed in religion I would like to hear your comments. Also I am curious about the story of Genesis and how aliens work into that.
Calm down, jump-the-train-with-no-brakes-guy.

OT: Cool. Not specifically... Exciting, as it isn't hard to imagine this to be probable without anything we don't know already.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I totally get that this is a monumental discovery, but...

am I alone in thinking... DUH!? Why would our tiny chunk of rock be the only one in the entire UNIVERSE to have some form of life? That sounds way weirder than discovering otherwise.

Nosense

May 24, 2010
I read the article and got excited, then I read the counter article posted below in the update. I believe the counter article has more credit and kills this claim. I mean first of it was first shown to Faux News before it was to be published (lol wat) and they claim to have found no nitrogen in the supposed alien lifeforms (how is that possible? nitrogen=life). While I whole-heartily believe in other lifeforms existing outside of our own planet, I am a difficult skeptic to convince. I seriously believe that the scientific community is going to rip this claim a new one. Here's hoping for the opposite though :)

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I actually remember an earlier claim someone made along these lines. They claimed they found fossilized bacteria in rocks from Mars.

Never heard what happened. Guess this article explains it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, you have to understand that Academia is pretty cutthroat and there are just as many people who have a stake in disproving things like extraterrestrial life as do in proving it. Not to mention concerns by those in power about not wanting to jump at even clear evidence, spend a ton of money, and then find out that some kind of mistake was made. This is to say nothing of the social order, and how many belief structures would be literally decimated by the acceptance of life off of earth... sudden, radical change being bad.

That said, the bottom line is going to be when these scientists decide to take these rocks out "on the road" so to speak and show them off person-to-person with the electron microscopes. The debunker mentioned in this article (as part of the update) seems to mostly be attacking the sources (Fox News, websites, etc...) rather than the work itself, other than to say that he personally disputed the claims and had trouble making things out from the pictures.

I don't expect a lot to come of this any way it goes, to be honest it seems like the kind of thing that is going to be sat on if it is for real. Not so much because of any "X-files" like conspiricy full of creepy guys in black trying to cover up evidence, but because nobody will want to put it out in public until they are sure, and it will be being poked, prodded, dissected, and battled over by career academics for decades before anyone lets anything signifigant come of it.

That said, there is a lot of strange and creepy crap out there that it seems few people want to deal with, never mind society as a whole. This will probably just be added to the list.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
stinkychops said:
Roxor said:
Would you turn down a thousand dollars in disgust because its not a million?

OF COURSE YOU'D BE MORE IMPRESSED WITH THAT! SO WHAT!
The reason why I'm not impressed is because the "alien microbe fossils in a meteorite" thing has been claimed and found to be a false alarm multiple times before. I'd be more impressed by a spectroscope pointed at an extrasolar planet finding that the planet's atmosphere contains ozone, water, carbon dioxide and methane. As far as we know, that's a chemical fingerprint of a world with life.

Jagji56

Oct 29, 2009
I would just like to point out that we are NOT alone. HELLO! PLANET EARTH HAS HOW MANY DIFFERENT LIVING ORGANISMS ON IT?! Of course there is going to be some form of life out side of planet earth. Its only logical to think that.

AzzA-D

Nov 18, 2009
mercr452 said:

Im not entirely sure, but I sure cant account for images like this from the 1600's... Thats the Baptism of Christ btw, by Aert De Gelder.

Captain Underbeard

Mar 8, 2011
If you want to read about truly scientific stories, read 'Science' or 'Nature'. If you want to read an educated take on scientific discoveries and stories, read 'New Scientist' or something similar.

If you get your science from Fox News or any news outlet, then chances are it's not science but news - big difference

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
*Man discovers there might be life out there*
"Sweet! I'm going to tell the world!"
*Goes to Fox News*
*No one believes him*

Big surprise...
I hope that he is right. It'd be about damn time someone discovered non-Earth life to put an end to all the speculation that has been going on for hundreds of years.
But like that doctor says, I won't believe him unless he has some pretty badass evidence that can't be refuted.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
As others have already pointed out the universe is too big to not contain any other life! Perhaps not intelligent or friendly but life all the same! If you believe in god what would have stopped him from making another Earth. It only took 7 days. He could have knocked out a few by now! And then if you believe in the big bang, how could just one planet have spawned life?

I just hope this story isn't fake and that if its true they don't some how clone the fossilized bacteria and open a theme park! That shit always ends badly!

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I like Myers' deconstruction of the bad science in the paper, but I have a simpler kind of refutation:

Have we any proof this isn't a rock thrown up into the atmosphere at more than escape velocity by some previous large meteor impact?

Rock is launched, possibly with (terrestrial) microbes within being flash-fried then flash-frozen, spends a couple of eons mooching around the solar system in reasonable proximity to the earth, then falls back down.

Hmm?
(there may be very good evidence for it, but there seems no discussion either way...)

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
I'm just waiting for Xel' Naga artifacts to start showing up and for us to accidentally unleash the zerg.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Aliens don't exist, and I'll stop believing that when one walks into my room and addresses me in klingon

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
John Funk said:
...Yeah, that's because he's an idiot. The Journal of Cosmology is not peer-reviewed. It's one asshole's website. Or as this guy put it:

PZ Myers said:
it isn't a real science journal at all, but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth. It doesn't exist in print, consists entirely of a crude and ugly website that looks like it was sucked through a wormhole from the 1990s, and publishes lots of empty noise with no substantial editorial restraint.
Until this story decides to try to play in the big boys club, you know, with real scientists, it should not be given ink by any real journalists. With all due respect you should be ashamed of yourselves for not looking into this deeper. Also, where did you get the claim that it's peer-reviewed. Where's your source on that?

EDIT: Actually it seems the site itself claims that. So I take that back. It's not your fault they lied.

Addendum: PZ Myers article [http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/did_scientists_discover_bacter.php]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BlackWidower said:
John Funk said:
...Yeah, that's because he's an idiot. The Journal of Cosmology is not peer-reviewed. It's one asshole's website. Or as this guy put it:

PZ Myers said:
it isn't a real science journal at all, but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth. It doesn't exist in print, consists entirely of a crude and ugly website that looks like it was sucked through a wormhole from the 1990s, and publishes lots of empty noise with no substantial editorial restraint.
Until this story decides to try to play in the big boys club, you know, with real scientists, it should not be given ink by any real journalists. With all due respect you should be ashamed of yourselves for not looking into this deeper. Also, where did you get the claim that it's peer-reviewed. Where's your source on that?

EDIT: Actually it seems the site itself claims that. So I take that back. It's not your fault they lied.

Addendum: PZ Myers article [http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/did_scientists_discover_bacter.php]
Did you read the update to the story at the bottom?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ca3zar416 said:
I'm just waiting for Xel' Naga artifacts to start showing up and for us to accidentally unleash the zerg.
But we're not Terrans are we? No of course not, the real fight is happening somewhere else! The so-called "Queen ***** of the universe" [sub]why is she called that? She hasn't even taken over the system yet![/sub] wouldn't dare fuck with Earth.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Considering we havent even discovered everything on Earth yet, to say there is nothing alive in space is way bolder than to believe in aliens. Then again, anti-alien people are generally religios people, and they are too stubborn. (Even if I was religious, why cant there be a God that made aliens too?)

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
This backs up my theory that there is other life in the universe, but it's too stupid to build a spaceship.

Some Asari would be a nice find indeed. Or a company of Sangheili Commandoes. Ah, while I'm at it I'll throw in Eldar and Tyranids so we have an excuse to invent Space Marines.

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
ianrocks6495 said:
scarab7 said:
they tried that in independence day...and they got LAZZOOORRD

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
a little dissapointed that it would seem either no one followed the link when it was given, for it was obvious even to someone studying politics that the article was awful, no spellcheck, poor grammar, this is not how academics work.

it's a shame, it'd be nice if it were true, but sadly, we'll just have to keep waiting.

Have the Terrorist Won? Only a few crackpots and charlatans have denounced the Hoover study. NASA's chief scientist was charged with unprofessional conduct for lying publicly about the Journal of Cosmology and the Hoover paper. The same crackpots, self-promoters, liars, and failures, are quoted repeatedly in the media. However, where is the evidence the Hoover study is not accurate?

Few legitimate scientists have come forward to contest Hoover's findings. Why is that? Because the evidence is solid.

But why have so few scientists come forward to attest to the validity? The answer is: They are afraid. They are terrified. And for good reason.

The status quo and their "hand puppets" will stop at nothing to crush debate about important scientific issues, and this includes slander, defamation, trade libel... they will ruin you. Three hundred years ago, they would burn you for questioning orthodoxy. Has anything changed?

The scientific community must march according to the tune whistled by those who control the funding. If you don't do as you are told, if you dare to ask the wrong questions, they will destroy you.

JOC offered the scientific community a unique opportunity to debate an important paper, but for the most part they have declined.

The message is: Be afraid. Be very afraid. Or you will be destroyed.

Why is America in decline?

Maybe the terrorists have won.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=1324.0

NASA is obviously a conspiracy
[small]obviously...[/small]

OT: Finally, about time we find something that doesn't live on Earth.

[small]We can finally get rid of our nukes![/small]

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Question about this rock.

Have they tested it to see that it was truely alien and not one of the rocks that was blown off the earth when the moon was created?

mighty_wambat

Jan 26, 2011
no, no no no no no no no no, its fake and been debunked, if your only interested in what you think is entertaining then sure, its aliens, but no, its not extraterrestrial, its an earth bacteria which contaminated the meteorite, its old news and debunked. is there life off this planet? probably, but don't be so desperate to find it that you ignore scientists who are pointing out that the peer review board rejected this hypothesis back in 2007 as it is clearly ignoring a common cause (its earth bacteria)

now i could tell you about how it was published in a pay to publish "journal of cosmology"
which also published an article about 'panspermia' the idea that life exists as seeds floating throughout the universe, subsequently pollinating planets with organic life.

or how this has been debunked 3 separate times since he first put it forward in 07.
im not going to, in fact, im not even providing a link, if you Google "meteorite life debunk" you will be on the path to the truth, but if your not interested in reality, if you want to think that what ever feels nice is best, then fine. its aliens, its the asari and predator and ET. is that what you want? certainty? to know that we have all the answers? well fine.

and to think...nerds used to be smart.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BLUE CHICKS HERE I COME!!!!!1!!!!

OT:Well I am excited for more news on this.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
It's a cool discovery, but it reminds me of how much of a let down real life may be.

I'd hate to think that the future Captain Kirk salutes a puddle of green slim upon First Contact.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
John Funk said:
BlackWidower said:
John Funk said:

PZ Myers said:

Did you read the update to the story at the bottom?
Glanced at it...why? ........Oh shit, it reiterates what I said. Did not notice that.