NASA Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Allan53 said:
I'd be more impressed if something like this didn't occur every few months...
yeah it's starting to get old. how about some actual DNA so you can clone your self a monster or something, i wanna see some crazy monster clones.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Like anyone expected there not to be.

WorldCritic said:
Meh, Bacteria. It is kind of interesting, but it'll be better when we discover that Asari exist.
Pheh. Asari SmechSmari. I want to ride a Krogan.

socialtangent

May 23, 2009
If this turns out to be legit, then this is a pretty big find.

However, I'm a bit skeptical unless additional research confirms this. We've heard this story many times before, only to be disappointed.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Allan53 said:
Yeah, it gets tiresome.

"Scientist makes wild unsupported claim, yet to be verified". Meh.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
we need to find this "intelligent" life, and immediately challenge them in battle.

humanity must prove it's superiority!

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009

Awesome, I really hope we can be friends with all our alien contacts [sub]if only to exploit them mwhahaha[/sub]

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
If you'll excuse me, I have to go stand on my back porch with a Shotgun pointed at the sky... you know, just in case they figure out they've been discovered.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Extremely skeptical for sure. This isn't the first time this dude has claimed to find life from space. Also, they did just botch a rocket launch. Maybe they're just trying to save a little face? (In an extreme manner.)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Allan53 said:
Yeah, it gets tiresome.

We don't all do this.

I PROMISE.

BodomBeachChild said:
Extremely skeptical for sure. This isn't the first time this dude has claimed to find life from space. Also, they did just botch a rocket launch. Maybe they're just trying to save a little face? (In an extreme manner.)
No one takes mineralized life seriously after the 1996 fiasco. Also, the people launching the rocket and these researchers are not affiliated.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
thiosk said:
thaluikhain said:
Allan53 said:
Yeah, it gets tiresome.

We don't all do this.

I PROMISE.

BodomBeachChild said:
No one takes mineralized life seriously after the 1996 fiasco. Also, the people launching the rocket and these researchers are not affiliated.

NASA takes everything they are slightly involved with and blows it out of proportion was what I was tryng to say. See: Chilean miner rescue. Usually they're like "Look at us!" And after the crash... but I see yer point.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
BodomBeachChild said:
NASA takes everything they are slightly involved with and blows it out of proportion was what I was tryng to say. See: Chilean miner rescue. Usually they're like "Look at us!" And after the crash... but I see yer point.
When was the last time you laminated a test you failed and distributed copies to all your relatives? :)

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
John Funk said:
"...never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published."

wutaboutscience

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I hate all the pessimism in this thread! I want alien life and I want it NOAW! It is taking to damn long for us to find anything unless we already found it but the public does not know about it because it plans to destroy us all. The G8 are aware of it and want the world to live its carefree existence for whatever little time is left. In which case WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!! DOOMED YA HEAR! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOED'D!!!

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Our first real hint? Maybe, but certainly not clear yet.

These arent the first extra-terrestrial rock formations that might be fossilised bacteria. They arent even the first time *this guy* has made the claim (he made a presentation on the same thing back in '07).

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
John Funk said:
NASA Scientist Finds Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

One of the most important questions in human history - are we alone? - may at last have a definitive answer.

It isn't the Vulcans. It isn't E.T. Hell, it isn't even Alf. But a NASA scientist claims to have found definitive proof that life in the universe can - and does - exist outside of Earth: fossils of alien bacteria discovered in meteorites.

Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, published his findings in Friday night's edition of the Journal of Cosmology [http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html], a peer-reviewed scientific journal with a website that looks like it came straight out of 1999. Hoover discovered the fossils in an extremely rare type of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites, of which a mere nine specimens exist here on this blue planet.

"I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet Earth," Hoover told Fox News in an interview [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/], which is a strikingly anticlimactic way of essentially saying "we are not alone." According to Hoover, who has studied meteorites for a decade, many scientists ignored this field of research because they didn't believe they'd find anything there. "This field of study has just barely been touched - because quite frankly, a great many scientists would say that this is impossible."

He, however, did - by breaking apart the uber-rare space rock and analyzing its insides with an electron microscope that helped him discover the fossils in question. Many of the micro-organisms in the fossils resemble life on Earth, said Hoover, but others? Not so much. "There are some that are just very strange and don't look like anything that I've been able to identify, and I've shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump."

According to Journal of Cosmology editor-in-chief Dr. Rudy Schild, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, the publication invited thousands of scientists to cross-examine and scrutinize Hoover's report to try and head off skeptics and naysayers. "No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting, and never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published."

Not everyone is convinced, of course. Dr. David Marais, an astrobiologist at NASA's AMES Research Center, says that similar claims have been made before and proven wrong - and that a discovery of this magnitude will need solid evidence rather than conjecture. "It's an extraordinary claim, and thus I'll need extraordinary evidence," Marais said. Until the claims could be independently verified, said Marais, this was merely a "potential signature of life." Which is still pretty huge, if you ask me.

If true, however, the implications could be staggering beyond the simple revelation that life exists elsewhere in the cosmos, of course. "Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth," speculated SETI Institute senior astronomer Dr. Seth Shostak.

"It would suggest, well, life didn't really begin on the Earth, it began as the solar system was forming."

Or maybe life was intentionally seeded here as part of a grand scheme by the Forerunners as they built their installations to contain the threat of the Flood, and -- no, wait, that's Halo.

Either way, this is some pretty heavy stuff. It could be a false alarm, but if this is our first real hint that we are not alone in the universe? Holy crap.

(Yahoo News [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/])

John, I am pretty sure this claim is full of it, and is a last ditch try for this website (Journal of Cosmology) to retain its relevance. They've already said they are going out of business.

Note:

http://daviddobbs.posterous.com/journal-of-cosmology-going-out-with-big-bang

Also please check a bit around the web. JOC isn't a well respected site, and any scientist who publishes BEFORE peer reviewing is suspect.

Here is Phil Plait's Views:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/05/has-life-been-found-in-a-meteorite/#more-29102