NASA Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
RT-shotgun-support said:
wooty said:
Soooo, NASA have found a used condom in space? Great for them.

I was even more surprised that a nasa space vessel actually made it out of earths atmosphere for once, I think that deserves a special mention too, its a rare event.
To be fair the budget they have allows them only 50 bucks, a box of paper clips, a box of tooth picks, and some 80s computer parts.

GO SCIENCE FUNDING FTW!
I heard they were planning to use monkeys so they didn't have to pay any real astronauts.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/41880089

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
So... here's for hoping that the claim of alien bacteria having been found in meteorites is actually true for once.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
I don't get the people who "hope" this is real, what hope or joy do you get from the knowledge that there are lifeforms elsewhere? What does it matter?
The idea, as best I can express it, is that a general factual acknowledgement by the public at large of our adjusted place in the universe (not alone, potentially IMMINENT threats and opportunities out there in the vast expanses between the planets and stars) could lead to a substantial increase in science funding the world over: something that is sorely needed.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
darthricardo said:
Eh, this isn't huge news for me. Really, in my honest opinion, the universe is too huge not to have life. It's merely a question of:
a) How far away?
b) How much?
Really, finding a little microscopic organism isn't that impressive. There's bound to be something somewhere, of course.
Of course the concept of life other places in the universe is, but the discovery of life is something different.

Saying that the possibility of there being life on other planets based on size, that chance is pretty big.
The chance of life being discovered from a meteorite that has about 99% chance of bruning up in the atmosphere and almost no chance of getting sucked into the gravity of Earth. Now that is a small chance.

Still, I'd be more interestred if they could find any genetic material inside it or maybe proof that this is a bacteria, perhaps show us a picture made by a TEM microscope. As someone said before, for the untrained eye anything can looklike an actual organism.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The problem with discovering bacteria in meteroids and marking them as aliens is the following:
There are lots o bacteria on earth and we know just a fracture of them. If you discover some bacteria you will have to prove that they can't be from earth...
Which is like proving that there is no needle in the hay stack.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
Semi-serious response: No discovery of the Asari yet?

God damnit! >_<

Serious response: ..I'm too tired to care at the moment. I'll edit this later.
Argee'd, seriously, I hope Mass Effect was conjured up when one of Bioware's lead writers took a time machine to 2185, that would be great(bar the heretic geth, the fact that almost no one likes humans, the Batarians and the REEPAHS(I also hope Bolo Santosi from Just Cause 2 is the ruler of them))

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Anyone who thinks Earth is the only oasis of life in the Universe is an idiot who needs to be flayed with spiked chains.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
Semi-serious response: No discovery of the Asari yet?

God damnit! >_<

Serious response: ..I'm too tired to care at the moment. I'll edit this later.
I thought you put no discovery of Aslan yet, then I realized that he was already real.....and well of course, people who don't think there is anything else alive out there are a tad bonkers, come on...think about it.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
It helps not to get too over excited about this. The reason the bacteria resemble earth bacteria is because it is earth bacteria. And the fact that there are millions of other bacteria species not yet discovered (or speciated) explains the unidentified species, which is the only real discovery in this article.

Basically, the sample is contaminated. The fact that there is ice in the meteor confirms this as they heat up to extreme temperatures upon entering the atmosphere & any cosmic ice is evaporated (if there was ET bacteria it would be sterilised by the heat) & filled with earth water that has been frozen. The real surprise is that there isnt more bacteria in the meteor sample but this could be put down to the low temp of the water & high temp of the rock.

The trouble with some scientists is that they want to believe their theories are true even if further evidence or simple explainations prove otherwise.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
The count down till the Necromorphs has begun.
On a more serious note, that's pretty interesting. I've heard for years now that bacteria has been found outside of earth, but it's nice to see a genuine report on the matter. Could this mean life on earth arrived on something as random as a stray comet? And if so, where did this rock come from...

Interesting stuff.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Just so we're clear, Escapist.

This is a Titanospirillum velox [http://www.pnas.org/content/96/20/11584.full], a terrestrial bacterium which had its image included in the paper because it resembles the filaments in the meteor in question. It is not an image of the proposed [http://journalofcosmology.com/images/HooverFigure1d.jpg] lifeform [http://journalofcosmology.com/images/HooverFigure1a.jpg].

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Onyxious said:
GrimTuesday said:
Awesome, I really hope we can be friends with all our alien contacts [sub]if only to exploit them mwhahaha[/sub]

While I understand this is a joke, it still raises an interesting point. When/if aliens do arrive they are going to be greeted by men in labcoats, hazmat suits, and possibly military uniforms. After the life forms have been slaughtered and are prepared for inspection we may have just established the world's first intergalactic grudge. I really hate to be sounding so serious about this silliness, but movies like Paul and ET kind of reflect what might happen, and how we need to protect our possible planet neighbors from the government.

God, this post sounds so retarded.
I have to agree with that. first contact being made by hostile-looking governments and military men is one hell of a way to make an awful first impression. Of course, we must protect ourselves, hazmat suits being a must, and a few guards would be good, but few enough as to not seem too hostile.

But the worst case scenario is this: what of area 51 is really conducting inhumane experiments on aliens, and what if they find out?

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
tbh I think its SO obvious that there is life out there other than us that its just a matter of time, I wont be surprised when its eventually discovered, only happy or amazed at what it is. if this IS it, then awesome!

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
It's an impressive thought. I'd really prefer if we found some evidence of megafauna, though. Hell, megaflora would be alright. But, of course, those things are pretty hard to find in a meteorite. Shame.

Many escapists have mentioned that the crediblity of this article is very poor, or at least lacking. I have to agree, despite not being involved in the scientific community too much.

I won't be satisfied until we go out there and find them first. How about we be the technologically-advanced overlords for once?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
What is interesting is that if it is life it seems similar to life already here. "Dr. Hoover has concluded they are indigenous to these meteors and are similar to trichomic cyanobacteria and other trichomic prokaryotes such as filamentous sulfur bacteria"

Which suggest that life could've originated elsewhere and then "seeded" the earth. There is a theory that meteorites contain the necessary chemicals to be the site of the origin of life.

EDIT: although it is going to need a lot more looking into.