NASA Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Bloodstain said:
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Emergent said:
I don't get the people who "hope" this is real, what hope or joy do you get from the knowledge that there are lifeforms elsewhere? What does it matter?
The idea, as best I can express it, is that a general factual acknowledgement by the public at large of our adjusted place in the universe (not alone, potentially IMMINENT threats and opportunities out there in the vast expanses between the planets and stars) could lead to a substantial increase in science funding the world over: something that is sorely needed.
So a bunch of gamers really really really care about the funds scientists are getting?

o_O

Okay......

Unless your'e talking about funding for, say, how to destroy or divert a meteor on a collision course with earth, that is funding I can understand people would want scientists to receive.

But I doubt that a bunch of gamers really care about that and are more excited about this because "ooooooh! Aliens!"
Some people (including me) are fairly interested in the world we live in. I don't think playing video games has anything to do with that, so it doesn't matter if it's "a bunch of gamers".
Besides, what is wrong with "ooooooh! Aliens!"?
Weird that you would find such a feeble stereotype of gamers posted by a member of a pro-gaming website's community. Assuming the poster isn't an interloping anti-gaming troll.

Not that I really care one way or the other. All I care about is taking a huge bong hit, getting comfy on the couch, and spending the rest of the day playing Call of Duty. Fuck all that dumb shit about aliens. And Libya. And a balanced budget. And collective bargaining rights. Who gives a rat's ass?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
FungiGamer said:
Look at the source

FOX NEWS

I rest my case, move along everyone nothing to see here
<link=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20039658-501465.html>ahem.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Ekonk said:
FungiGamer said:
Look at the source

FOX NEWS

Meh, it could've been CBS doing the story themselves and taking it from FOX as news reporters usually do, but either way I'm not getting my hopes up at this point

Best quote I've seen all day: "Now if only we could find some intelligent life on OUR planet"

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
John Funk said:
"Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth," speculated SETI Institute senior astronomer Dr. Seth Shostak.
That's meaningful. Surely he's not an ET enthusiast, is he?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Haha!

Halo reference instead of ME/DN/etc? YES!

Ahem.

Anyways, didn't we find fossilzed bacteria on a metorite way back in 2004 or something anyways?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
AbundantRedundancy said:
John Funk said:
"Maybe life was seeded on earth -- it developed on comets for example, and just landed here when these things were hitting the very early Earth," speculated SETI Institute senior astronomer Dr. Seth Shostak.
That's meaningful. Surely he's not an ET enthusiast, is he?
Kinda reminds me of the story (or perhaps "myth" is the word) of the bullet that's fired, passes through a man's testicles, picks up his sperm on it, and then goes to to land in a woman's uterus, impregnating her.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
many claims like this have been made before, so i wont hold my breath. frankly, no one will be satisfied until we find actual 'living' life anyway. thinking about it, finding a giant space dragon skeleton would probably be a disappointment; as awesome as it really is, all it does is make you want to see it when it was alive. given how these claims usually go, it would probably end up being a very oddly structured rock formation anyway.

....what was this article about again? all i remember is space dragons.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Ekonk said:
FungiGamer said:
Look at the source

FOX NEWS

<link=http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/06/nasa-scientist-evidence-extraterrestrial-life>ahem again.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
So much apathy, so many haters.

even single cell organisms that come from different planets could be scientifically important and could tell us alot about life itself and how it comes about. The enviroments it can endure, that maybe do not exist on our planet.

who knows? maybe we'll find that they are similar to earth organisms which implies that, if the conditions were right, there could be animal or intelligent life around.

It could speak of our origins on Earth.

all you guys are like "*yawn* lame, if it doesnt have tentacles and 3 boobs I'm not interested."

As if it's easy to find sentient beings, we don't even know for sure if faster than light speed is possible yet, you'll be lucky to see a spacefish in our solar system.

liven up you miserable gits.

personally if they are out there i think they are watching us like some kind of alien Attenborough, and they follow the prime directive.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
"It would suggest, well, life didn't really begin on the Earth, it began as the solar system was forming."
So my theory that the big bang was just a giant ejaculation, may still be correct? Interesting...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
thiosk said:
It is important to point out that if you look at ANYTHING under a scanning electron microscope, you can see features that look lifelike.

Garbage.

WORMS oh actually just plastic

Edit:

Ok, I've gone through the article a bit. I'm not a cosmologist, but I do publish scientific articles in journals for a living. And "peer reviewed" does not mean "good." The first red flag is that this paper is available for free from the journal. The top multidisciplinary journal on earth is Science. Check it out at http://www.sciencemag.org. Neat huh? Try to read an article.

Ohhhh, you can't, unless you are in a library or at a university, or otherwise have some kind of subscription or are a AAAS member. Sometimes they'll hand the articles out to just anyone, but usually not. Theres rules for all that. This is an open publication journal. The idea sounds attractive on paper; lets have journals designed to get pioneering papers to the public faster! This isn't meant to get information to the public, this is meant to make a splash in the news media. This paper will go on the pile with all the other mineralized fossil bacteria from mars papers and everyone

The last time "life" was found that did get into Science. Turns out it was just funny wiggly things in SEM images. Oh look! These are funny wiggly things in SEM images. With chemicals on them! I forgot to properly clean some silicon wafers a few months back, and when I analyzed the surfaces by EDS I found all sorts of nitrogen, carbon, oxygen. Its called "shit that gets all over everything because you are on the planet earth, and probably anywhere else in the universe"

Where this manuscript starts grinding my gears is the random figures and images are thrown in there. Throw in enough figures and anything looks legit. The pictures of comets and meteroites and moons and what not? Utterly useless, and would not be included in a proper scientific manuscript.

God, what a buzzkill!

I just want to believe, man! Put your skepticism away for a moment at let us non-cosmologists and non-scientists to believe.

Still, could be an interesting discovery. We'll just have to wait to see what comes out from it.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I just have a hard time getting excited over bacteria. Not that I don't see what finding alien bacteria means for our search of extra-terrestial life, but a microscopic worm isn't exactly an amazing revelation either.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I strongly believe there is life other places in the universe. It only makes sense. I don't believe that organisms must be carbon based and breathe oxygen. To quote jeff Goldblum in JP "life will find a way." I believe given the right conditions life can form just about anywhere.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
The_Emperor said:
So much apathy, so many haters.

even single cell organisms that come from different planets could be scientifically important and could tell us alot about life itself and how it comes about. The enviroments it can endure, that maybe do not exist on our planet.

who knows? maybe we'll find that they are similar to earth organisms which implies that, if the conditions were right, there could be animal or intelligent life around.

It could speak of our origins on Earth.

all you guys are like "*yawn* lame, if it doesnt have tentacles and 3 boobs I'm not interested."

As if it's easy to find sentient beings, we don't even know for sure if faster than light speed is possible yet, you'll be lucky to see a spacefish in our solar system.

liven up you miserable gits.

personally if they are out there i think they are watching us like some kind of alien Attenborough, and they follow the prime directive.
Excuse me? People here are going into massive amounts of depth scrutinizing every last detail about the quality and history of the publication and research. If we aren't jumping on our chairs with joy it's because we aren't convinced by one widely-distributed journal of rather shady quality publishing such outlandish (literally) claims with such little evidence. Oh, and sorry for being such a miserable git, it's definitely not like this gets claimed many times a year.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Bloodstain said:
Emergent said:
I don't get the people who "hope" this is real, what hope or joy do you get from the knowledge that there are lifeforms elsewhere? What does it matter?
The idea, as best I can express it, is that a general factual acknowledgement by the public at large of our adjusted place in the universe (not alone, potentially IMMINENT threats and opportunities out there in the vast expanses between the planets and stars) could lead to a substantial increase in science funding the world over: something that is sorely needed.
So a bunch of gamers really really really care about the funds scientists are getting?

o_O

Okay......

Unless your'e talking about funding for, say, how to destroy or divert a meteor on a collision course with earth, that is funding I can understand people would want scientists to receive.

But I doubt that a bunch of gamers really care about that and are more excited about this because "ooooooh! Aliens!"
Some people (including me) are fairly interested in the world we live in. I don't think playing video games has anything to do with that, so it doesn't matter if it's "a bunch of gamers".
Besides, what is wrong with "ooooooh! Aliens!"?
I too am interested in the world WE live in, aliens on the other hand are not from this world.
There is nothing WRONG with being excited, I was merely stating that I don't get it.