NASA Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Jumplion said:
thiosk said:
Jumplion said:
God, what a buzzkill!

I just want to believe, man! Put your skepticism away for a moment at let us non-cosmologists and non-scientists to believe.

Still, could be an interesting discovery. We'll just have to wait to see what comes out from it.
Required reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001

This whole thing happened once already, except last time, it was in the top scientific journal in the world, and the president of the united states got on TV and told us all about the martian life.

Its been discredited and the researchers tucked their tails and got on to their next project.

similar.squirrel said:
Let us hope this isn't another ALH 84001 incident.
It is, just small time instead of big time. Rehashed and respouted.
Gosh, you're such a buzzkill, man! Stop inserting skepticism and logic and just let ignorance take you!
Haha, I really enjoyed your posts. Thiosk for your critical thinking, and Jumplion for your humor.

If I were to insert anything, it'd be a reiteration of a line in the OP: "It's an extraordinary claim, and thus I'll need extraordinary evidence,". Truly words to live by.

Dammit, sometimes I wish I could just sit back and enjoy extravagant claims. Life is so *BLEH* and *WERJKALF*. Anything awesome is always 'too good to be true'. Truth of the matter is, though, that the truth isn't always awesome. In fact, much of the time, it isn't >=(

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Jumplion said:
Gosh, you're such a buzzkill, man! Stop inserting skepticism and logic and just let ignorance take you!
You're right. Hope and change! Soon everyone will be shitting rainbows and mainlining chocolate syrup!!!!

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Now, I may just be finishing up my second year in college, but my professors have noted several times that fossilized microbes are impossible to find on Earth. The chances of finding one in a meteorite? Personally, i think it's just a small "bubble", so to speak. Similar to the bubbles that form in ice, but smaller.

Don't get excited folks.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
dathwampeer said:
So you're basing you're disbelief on the fact that people were wrong before?

Or am I missing something?

Just because Alan Hills was wrongly analysed doesn't mean this is going to turn out to be a mistake too.
No, I'm basing it on the fact that its a garbage paper in a fake journal.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
rokkolpo said:
All I want to say is:

SUCK IT JOB!
(Job is a Christian guy in my class)
Well, it looks like this could backfire rather spectacularly on you.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
Well well. more evidence that there is something out there. Honestly though, when you really think about it. Given the size of the universe and all the countless galaxies, each with billions of stars and trillions of planets, the odds that there is absolutely no other life (sentient or otherwise) out there are so extremely slim it defies logic.

*EDIT* Why can't we just find some damn Quarians. My god, quarian women and their hips from heaven.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i read the article and was instantly sure it was a hoax i mean come on you know better than that escapists it is faux news after all
then i read the up date and the link there and it was obvious this was a crank taking people on a ride

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
They have returned for me.
Soon I will have to leave all of you.
It's been fun.

Good luck.
You're going to need it.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
All this implies is something we could probably figure out already. The universe is teaming with bacteria. Bacteria and viruses which can slip through your atmosphere undetected. Protect your family with Lysol Space Wipes!

Seriously though, nifty news. Too bad none of us will probably live long enough to see live xenobiology discovered. It's the only thing that will appease the cynics.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
dathwampeer said:
I don't know enough about the subject to argue. But telling us why it's a garbage paper would be nice.
I did, its early on the first page.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Sources are Fox News, Yahoo News and Journal of Cosmology...
I wouldn't trust that too much.