NASA Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

pfunkballer45

Mar 7, 2011
Sorry folks, this is a bunch of bull crap. I mean look at the source, Fox News, that should be a dead giveaway right there and the "Journal of Cosmology" is not a real scientific journal either. Check out the link for a further examination: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/did_scientists_discover_bacter.php

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Yeh. PZ Myers tore this the hell apart. At first it looked like he was just doing some ad hominem, but he got past that and definitely convinced me. I thought it sounded pretty damn fishy.

HappyDD

Jul 14, 2009
Well, what a shame... Though the fact that this is in the Journal of Cosmology and not Science or Nature is probably the first clue.

Edit: Crap, seems the PZ Myers link makes the exact same comment.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Saulkar said:
I hate all the pessimism in this thread! I want alien life and I want it NOAW! It is taking to damn long for us to find anything unless we already found it but the public does not know about it because it plans to destroy us all. The G8 are aware of it and want the world to live its carefree existence for whatever little time is left. In which case WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!! DOOMED YA HEAR! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOED'D!!!
I think you're mistaking skepticism for pessimism. As a person familiar with the process of vetting and peer reviewing papers, I can tell you that this guy sounds like Peter Molyneaux at his worst. The number of "first time ever in the history of science" lines just in the article here, for such a mundane thing (hmm, maybe a little Guitar-Hero-Promoting Bobby Kotick thrown in there as well) just screamed at me that this was going to get shot down, burned, buried, encased in cement, and shot into the sun within days.

But that doesn't matter. They posted their outrageous claim, the news got a hold of it, and now it's another in a long line of this stupid, stupid cycle that the media just seems incapable of recognizing.

As for life, it's a very safe bet that it's out there. In fact there's a good chance one of Saturn's moons has its own. However, if you want -Skinned Space Babes, you'll probably have to wait until genetically modified skin color becomes popular among our own species.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I guesse we aren't alone.
There's other things out there that we didn't realize existed.
Don't tell me.
The sky is falling.
Sea's are turning red.
C'thulu's coming.
Tommy Wisuea is a good actor.

No seriously, I was insanely fascinated by this.

mercr452

Jan 17, 2011
So suppose this is 100% scientifically vetted, for example its not a carbon based life-form. I'm curious how religions, specifically Christianity and Islam, would react to aliens. If anyone is well versed in religion I would like to hear your comments. Also I am curious about the story of Genesis and how aliens work into that.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
mercr452 said:
So suppose this is 100% scientifically vetted, for example its not a carbon based life-form. I'm curious how religions, specifically Christianity and Islam, would react to aliens. If anyone is well versed in religion I would like to hear your comments. Also I am curious about the story of Genesis and how aliens work into that.
Calm down, jump-the-train-with-no-brakes-guy.

OT: Cool. Not specifically... Exciting, as it isn't hard to imagine this to be probable without anything we don't know already.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I totally get that this is a monumental discovery, but...

am I alone in thinking... DUH!? Why would our tiny chunk of rock be the only one in the entire UNIVERSE to have some form of life? That sounds way weirder than discovering otherwise.

Nosense

May 24, 2010
I read the article and got excited, then I read the counter article posted below in the update. I believe the counter article has more credit and kills this claim. I mean first of it was first shown to Faux News before it was to be published (lol wat) and they claim to have found no nitrogen in the supposed alien lifeforms (how is that possible? nitrogen=life). While I whole-heartily believe in other lifeforms existing outside of our own planet, I am a difficult skeptic to convince. I seriously believe that the scientific community is going to rip this claim a new one. Here's hoping for the opposite though :)

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I actually remember an earlier claim someone made along these lines. They claimed they found fossilized bacteria in rocks from Mars.

Never heard what happened. Guess this article explains it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, you have to understand that Academia is pretty cutthroat and there are just as many people who have a stake in disproving things like extraterrestrial life as do in proving it. Not to mention concerns by those in power about not wanting to jump at even clear evidence, spend a ton of money, and then find out that some kind of mistake was made. This is to say nothing of the social order, and how many belief structures would be literally decimated by the acceptance of life off of earth... sudden, radical change being bad.

That said, the bottom line is going to be when these scientists decide to take these rocks out "on the road" so to speak and show them off person-to-person with the electron microscopes. The debunker mentioned in this article (as part of the update) seems to mostly be attacking the sources (Fox News, websites, etc...) rather than the work itself, other than to say that he personally disputed the claims and had trouble making things out from the pictures.

I don't expect a lot to come of this any way it goes, to be honest it seems like the kind of thing that is going to be sat on if it is for real. Not so much because of any "X-files" like conspiricy full of creepy guys in black trying to cover up evidence, but because nobody will want to put it out in public until they are sure, and it will be being poked, prodded, dissected, and battled over by career academics for decades before anyone lets anything signifigant come of it.

That said, there is a lot of strange and creepy crap out there that it seems few people want to deal with, never mind society as a whole. This will probably just be added to the list.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
stinkychops said:
Roxor said:
I'd be more impressed if they found an extrasolar planet with life.
Would you turn down a thousand dollars in disgust because its not a million?

OF COURSE YOU'D BE MORE IMPRESSED WITH THAT! SO WHAT!
The reason why I'm not impressed is because the "alien microbe fossils in a meteorite" thing has been claimed and found to be a false alarm multiple times before. I'd be more impressed by a spectroscope pointed at an extrasolar planet finding that the planet's atmosphere contains ozone, water, carbon dioxide and methane. As far as we know, that's a chemical fingerprint of a world with life.

Jagji56

Oct 29, 2009
I would just like to point out that we are NOT alone. HELLO! PLANET EARTH HAS HOW MANY DIFFERENT LIVING ORGANISMS ON IT?! Of course there is going to be some form of life out side of planet earth. Its only logical to think that.

AzzA-D

Nov 18, 2009
mercr452 said:

Im not entirely sure, but I sure cant account for images like this from the 1600's... Thats the Baptism of Christ btw, by Aert De Gelder.

Captain Underbeard

Mar 8, 2011
If you want to read about truly scientific stories, read 'Science' or 'Nature'. If you want to read an educated take on scientific discoveries and stories, read 'New Scientist' or something similar.

If you get your science from Fox News or any news outlet, then chances are it's not science but news - big difference

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
*Man discovers there might be life out there*
"Sweet! I'm going to tell the world!"
*Goes to Fox News*
*No one believes him*

Big surprise...
I hope that he is right. It'd be about damn time someone discovered non-Earth life to put an end to all the speculation that has been going on for hundreds of years.
But like that doctor says, I won't believe him unless he has some pretty badass evidence that can't be refuted.