NASA Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
As others have already pointed out the universe is too big to not contain any other life! Perhaps not intelligent or friendly but life all the same! If you believe in god what would have stopped him from making another Earth. It only took 7 days. He could have knocked out a few by now! And then if you believe in the big bang, how could just one planet have spawned life?

I just hope this story isn't fake and that if its true they don't some how clone the fossilized bacteria and open a theme park! That shit always ends badly!

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I like Myers' deconstruction of the bad science in the paper, but I have a simpler kind of refutation:

Have we any proof this isn't a rock thrown up into the atmosphere at more than escape velocity by some previous large meteor impact?

Rock is launched, possibly with (terrestrial) microbes within being flash-fried then flash-frozen, spends a couple of eons mooching around the solar system in reasonable proximity to the earth, then falls back down.

Hmm?
(there may be very good evidence for it, but there seems no discussion either way...)

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
I'm just waiting for Xel' Naga artifacts to start showing up and for us to accidentally unleash the zerg.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Aliens don't exist, and I'll stop believing that when one walks into my room and addresses me in klingon

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
John Funk said:
...Yeah, that's because he's an idiot. The Journal of Cosmology is not peer-reviewed. It's one asshole's website. Or as this guy put it:

PZ Myers said:
it isn't a real science journal at all, but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth. It doesn't exist in print, consists entirely of a crude and ugly website that looks like it was sucked through a wormhole from the 1990s, and publishes lots of empty noise with no substantial editorial restraint.
Until this story decides to try to play in the big boys club, you know, with real scientists, it should not be given ink by any real journalists. With all due respect you should be ashamed of yourselves for not looking into this deeper. Also, where did you get the claim that it's peer-reviewed. Where's your source on that?

EDIT: Actually it seems the site itself claims that. So I take that back. It's not your fault they lied.

Addendum: PZ Myers article [http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/did_scientists_discover_bacter.php]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BlackWidower said:
John Funk said:
...Yeah, that's because he's an idiot. The Journal of Cosmology is not peer-reviewed. It's one asshole's website. Or as this guy put it:

PZ Myers said:
it isn't a real science journal at all, but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth. It doesn't exist in print, consists entirely of a crude and ugly website that looks like it was sucked through a wormhole from the 1990s, and publishes lots of empty noise with no substantial editorial restraint.
Until this story decides to try to play in the big boys club, you know, with real scientists, it should not be given ink by any real journalists. With all due respect you should be ashamed of yourselves for not looking into this deeper. Also, where did you get the claim that it's peer-reviewed. Where's your source on that?

EDIT: Actually it seems the site itself claims that. So I take that back. It's not your fault they lied.

Addendum: PZ Myers article [http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/did_scientists_discover_bacter.php]
Did you read the update to the story at the bottom?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ca3zar416 said:
I'm just waiting for Xel' Naga artifacts to start showing up and for us to accidentally unleash the zerg.
But we're not Terrans are we? No of course not, the real fight is happening somewhere else! The so-called "Queen ***** of the universe" [sub]why is she called that? She hasn't even taken over the system yet![/sub] wouldn't dare fuck with Earth.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Considering we havent even discovered everything on Earth yet, to say there is nothing alive in space is way bolder than to believe in aliens. Then again, anti-alien people are generally religios people, and they are too stubborn. (Even if I was religious, why cant there be a God that made aliens too?)

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
This backs up my theory that there is other life in the universe, but it's too stupid to build a spaceship.

Some Asari would be a nice find indeed. Or a company of Sangheili Commandoes. Ah, while I'm at it I'll throw in Eldar and Tyranids so we have an excuse to invent Space Marines.

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
ianrocks6495 said:
scarab7 said:
This is big, still skeptical, but I'd like to see this as signs of life. I'll wait until a few papers are published before I start building an alien proof bunker.
By then it will be too late! I for one, welcome our new alien overlords.
they tried that in independence day...and they got LAZZOOORRD

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
a little dissapointed that it would seem either no one followed the link when it was given, for it was obvious even to someone studying politics that the article was awful, no spellcheck, poor grammar, this is not how academics work.

it's a shame, it'd be nice if it were true, but sadly, we'll just have to keep waiting.

Have the Terrorist Won? Only a few crackpots and charlatans have denounced the Hoover study. NASA's chief scientist was charged with unprofessional conduct for lying publicly about the Journal of Cosmology and the Hoover paper. The same crackpots, self-promoters, liars, and failures, are quoted repeatedly in the media. However, where is the evidence the Hoover study is not accurate?

Few legitimate scientists have come forward to contest Hoover's findings. Why is that? Because the evidence is solid.

But why have so few scientists come forward to attest to the validity? The answer is: They are afraid. They are terrified. And for good reason.

The status quo and their "hand puppets" will stop at nothing to crush debate about important scientific issues, and this includes slander, defamation, trade libel... they will ruin you. Three hundred years ago, they would burn you for questioning orthodoxy. Has anything changed?

The scientific community must march according to the tune whistled by those who control the funding. If you don't do as you are told, if you dare to ask the wrong questions, they will destroy you.

JOC offered the scientific community a unique opportunity to debate an important paper, but for the most part they have declined.

The message is: Be afraid. Be very afraid. Or you will be destroyed.

Why is America in decline?

Maybe the terrorists have won.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=1324.0

NASA is obviously a conspiracy
[small]obviously...[/small]

OT: Finally, about time we find something that doesn't live on Earth.

[small]We can finally get rid of our nukes![/small]

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Question about this rock.

Have they tested it to see that it was truely alien and not one of the rocks that was blown off the earth when the moon was created?

mighty_wambat

Jan 26, 2011
no, no no no no no no no no, its fake and been debunked, if your only interested in what you think is entertaining then sure, its aliens, but no, its not extraterrestrial, its an earth bacteria which contaminated the meteorite, its old news and debunked. is there life off this planet? probably, but don't be so desperate to find it that you ignore scientists who are pointing out that the peer review board rejected this hypothesis back in 2007 as it is clearly ignoring a common cause (its earth bacteria)

now i could tell you about how it was published in a pay to publish "journal of cosmology"
which also published an article about 'panspermia' the idea that life exists as seeds floating throughout the universe, subsequently pollinating planets with organic life.

or how this has been debunked 3 separate times since he first put it forward in 07.
im not going to, in fact, im not even providing a link, if you Google "meteorite life debunk" you will be on the path to the truth, but if your not interested in reality, if you want to think that what ever feels nice is best, then fine. its aliens, its the asari and predator and ET. is that what you want? certainty? to know that we have all the answers? well fine.

and to think...nerds used to be smart.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
It's a cool discovery, but it reminds me of how much of a let down real life may be.

I'd hate to think that the future Captain Kirk salutes a puddle of green slim upon First Contact.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
John Funk said:
BlackWidower said:
John Funk said:

PZ Myers said:

Did you read the update to the story at the bottom?
Glanced at it...why? ........Oh shit, it reiterates what I said. Did not notice that.