NASA Signs on For ESA Dark Energy Hunt

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
NASA Signs on For ESA Dark Energy Hunt

ESA's Euclid telescope will occupy a fixed orbit opposite earth from the sun - Lagrange point L2.

NASA has announced that it will be formalizing its partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA) on the Euclid mission, launching a space telescope designed to investigate dark matter and dark energy. Euclid telescope will launch in 2020 and be active for six years, mapping the locations of the more than 2 billion galaxies that populate the universe. In studying where galaxies are, including how they're shaped, the scientists hope to understand what effect dark matter and dark energy have had on the universe. Alvaro Giménez, ESA's Director of Science and Robotic Exploration, said "ESA's Euclid mission is designed to probe one of the most fundamental questions in modern cosmology, and we welcome NASA's contribution to this important endeavor, the most recent in a long history of cooperation in a space science between our two agencies."

Dark matter makes up about 85% of the universe, but very little is understood about it. The rest of the universe is matter, what people, stars, and planets are made of. Dark matter is called dark because it does not interact with light, and while it was first postulated in 1932, it has never been directly detected. The only known way it interacts with regular matter is through gravity, acting as a binder that attaches galaxies to each other. Dark energy, meanwhile, seems to be pushing the universe apart, and dominates the mass to energy ratio of the universe. Less is known about dark energy than dark matter. A NASA official called dark matter and energy "one of the greatest science mysteries of our time."

NASA's primary contribution will be state-of-the-art infrared detectors, one of the two scientific instruments planned for the Euclid. NASA has also contributed the time and efforts of 54 scientists to the Euclid Consortium, an international body of over 1,000 scientists who will analyze the data and manage the operations of the satellites.

Source: NASA [http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2013/jan/HQ_13-029_NASA_Joins_Euclid.html]
Image: ESA [http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=50477]

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Remember when NASA could do stuff on it's own?
What, like land a 1 tonne robotic lab on mars?

I kid, I kid, but seriously, isn't scientific co-operation a good thing? Are you really wishing to go back to the days when scientific advancement was used as a dick measuring contest with the Russians?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes because NASA developed their rockets with no help from outside - What's that? American rockets (including the Saturn V) were designed by Wernher von Braun from Germany.

Ok so at the start they relied on the V2 designer to get off the ground, but they did the moon program by themselves right? - Well no, a lot of countries from the west helped, especially with radio telescopes to allow NASA to keep in contact and track their spacecraft, notible example being the parkers telescope in Australia playing a pivitol role in the success in saving Apollo 13. Not to mention how it was needed for relaying the video of Apollo 11 apon its landing on the moon. Even today NASA relies on other nations in this way.

not to mention the ISS and how often astronaughts flew with NASA from other nations, or NASA using Russian rockets to supply the ISS.

Sorry but I couldn't resist, I'll show myself out.....

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Dark Energon was a stupid idea for the Transformers game, and "Dark energy" going to be just as stupid and idea for this new NASA game...

Wait... what?

Edit:

In all seriousness though... Concepts like Dark Energy and Dark matter makes me want to punch some people. "We have no proof that these things exist other than the fact that the formulas we use to explain things don't match up with the answers we find. THERE MUST BE SOME INVISIBLE FORCE! There's no way our formulas could POSSIBLY be wrong..."

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Formalizing their partnership? Isn't that still illegal in most of the US?

DVS BSTrD said:
http://img5.blogscoops.net/thumbs/17/48/m_d3809bde6702d3d0bb486396237f00da.jpg
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
rhizhim said:
remember when you played a game and the game became supertitschocolateexplosionawesomesauce when a certain sidekick/2nd player showed up?
Nope. because no such game exists.

So ESA has caught up with NASA and NASA is afraid its going to leave them in the real so they finally accept to work together. yeah.... maybe its good, maybe its not, but i trust ESA way more than NASA.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I'd just like to make a minor correction - dark matter does not make up 85% of the universe, it makes up 85% of the matter. The universe also contains dark energy, about three times as much dark energy as dark matter.