NASA Wants Your Ideas on How to Look for Life on Europa

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
NASA Wants Your Ideas on How to Look for Life on Europa

The space agency is currently designing a mission that will cost less than $1 billion and still meet as many of the exploration goals as possible.

NASA is taking design submissions of scientific instruments that would help detect life during an exploratory mission of Europa. The deadline to apply is on October 17, and the winning instrument will be chosen next year to be built for a future mission to Jupiter's moon.

It is theorized that underneath Europa's icy crust lies an abundance of liquid water- an ocean with more water than all of Earth's oceans that could potentially support life. "The possibility of life on Europa is a motivating force for scientists and engineers around the world," said John Grunsfeld, who is the associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate. "This solicitation will select instruments which may provide a big leap in our search to answer the question: Are we alone in the universe?"

Recently, the U.S. National Research Council published its yearly report with recommendations for NASA and the National Space Foundation's planetary exploration strategy. Covering now until 2022, the report ranked a mission to Europa among the highest priority missions. A future trip would focus on thorough compositional investigation of both the crust and the suspected liquid underneath the surface- as well as understanding the moon's magnetosphere.

Officials from NASA stated that submitted instruments should be specialized to achieve one of those goals. The announcement calls for instruments designed for a spacecraft that will orbit Europa or complete several flybys, since astronomers currently lack the data to safely land on the moon. The submissions will also need to be protected from radiation, as Jupiter is surrounded by a massive amount.

NASA will select 20 proposals in April 2015, and award $25 million to those chosen so that they may further improve their instruments' designs. From there, NASA officials will select eight winners, build the winning instruments for flight, and send them to Europa.

Read more about NASA's upcoming missions here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132708-NASA-Plans-a-Manned-Flyby-of-Mars-Mission-to-Europa] and let us know what you think in the comments!

Source: <a
href="http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2014/0718/Does-an-icy-Jupiter-moon-harbor-life-NASA-seeking-ideas-for-Europa-mission">The Christian Science Monitor

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Its simple!! We used a pressurized cannon to fire urine through the icy crust. Men will immediately see the genius of my plan.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I recommend a reverse gravometric tachyon pulse to cut through any subspace interference (why yes, I have been watching a lot of Star Trek lately. How did you guess?).

In all seriousness, some kind of unmanned probe and/or lander would probably be the best bet at this point, though coordinating its movements would be tricky given how Europa is almost 400 million miles from Earth.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
A probe that leaves a phone-home antenna topside, and then drills or melts its way through the ice until it's through, all the while unspooling cable up to the antenna. If it successfully finds a way through, it takes water samples and uses a video camera connected to a microscope to look for microbial life. Perhaps also equip it with a spooled weighted sampling tool that can take deeper water samples.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Given that there is evidence of fissures and eruptions of material coming from underneath, I would hazard that the best approach would be to simply land, sample, slice, and image ice cores from the this erupted material. Minimal hazard of contamination, minimal deployment of untested technology in an inhospitable environment.

Assuming the system is in fact capable of mixing the deep ocean with the surface by these ice volcanoes, the residuals of life carried up should be functionally fossilized within kilometers of the surface.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
BigTuk said:
Seriously though. The first thing you have to consider when looking for life is 'Define life' are we talking carbon based oxygen breathers because I don't think they'll find any.
Well probably not the oxygen or breathing parts. Though you never know.

I would however semi-expect to find anaerobic organisms of some description. Bacteria analogues.

It doesn't matter that much what they're made of if the search method is optical video of petridish samples, looking for something that moves.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
So this is less NASA wanting "my" ideas, and more NASA wanting the ideas of some very specific, talented engineers. I mean, I've got ideas (land a probe, melt/drill through the ice, profit), but I'm guessing they don't want to give me 25 million to develop them.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
I believe this is good advice for the premeditated stage of development:

Step one: have the involved team watch film Europa Report

Step two: do nothing that the characters did in said film

Addendum: perhaps consider asking yourself "is this an extremely stupid/asinine idea" each time someone thinks of something new; can not stress enough on how vitally important this is

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Fill rocket with top 100 songs of the year 2000-2010. Fire at Europa. If they fire it back, bingo.

I mean, or you could send a probe up or something. C'mon NASA, you don't get barely any funding to go on the Internet and straight up ask people for ideas.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Now, I wouldn't recommend this if you believe it would render harm to the possible ecosystem that Europa may be supporting, BUT I understand Newton's laws of motion to be very useful in a space setting. To wit, a rail-shot projectile would reach even greater speeds in space with more-significant impact at the end-point than it would on Earth. If you're looking for an easy way to penetrate the icy crust, look no further than applied physics.

Captcha: Make it so

Oh, the irony...

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
BigTuk said:
Cerebrawl said:
BigTuk said:
Seriously though. The first thing you have to consider when looking for life is 'Define life' are we talking carbon based oxygen breathers because I don't think they'll find any.

I would however semi-expect to find anaerobic organisms of some description. Bacteria analogues.

It doesn't matter that much what they're made of if the search method is optical video of petridish samples, looking for something that moves.
Electrons move... atoms move, heck everything moves under the right condition. My contrast there are plenty of living things that don't do a heck of a lot of moving. I mean ever seen a cactus move?

YOu have to consider that all the traits we consider inherrent to living things may only apply to living things on earth since those were traits required to survive within this bisphere. It maynot be so in other biospheres. Heck, is it carbon based? silicon based, helium based? It's hard to imagine what's really possible, but at the same time. narrowing ourselves to looking for what we know invariably means we'll find a whole lot of nothing.
Now you're just being obtuse.

Here's what some microbes look like under a microscope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sxrIvbqBGg

You don't need enough magnification to see atoms and electrons, it's the wrong scale, and yes a petri dish sample of cactus bloody well moves on the cellular scale.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
BigTuk said:
Cerebrawl said:
BigTuk said:

Electrons move... atoms move, heck everything moves under the right condition. My contrast there are plenty of living things that don't do a heck of a lot of moving. I mean ever seen a cactus move?

YOu have to consider that all the traits we consider inherrent to living things may only apply to living things on earth since those were traits required to survive within this bisphere. It maynot be so in other biospheres. Heck, is it carbon based? silicon based, helium based? It's hard to imagine what's really possible, but at the same time. narrowing ourselves to looking for what we know invariably means we'll find a whole lot of nothing.

I mean consider SETI looking for signs of intelligent life via radio waves... never mind that another intelligent species might not have developed or even needed to develop radio communication. I mean when all members of your race are linked to and communicate through the all mothers mind... why would you need something as clumsy as radio waves... or even words to communicate ideas. When you have the ability to directly transmit your thoughts you have no need for concepts like 'words' or 'language'.
You always get someone like this in these threads, thinking they're being clever by taking the philosophical approach... It's not clever. Life is pretty well defined scientifically.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Didn't they have that drill-sub in development for this? What, has that become another pipe dream like colonization?

disgruntledgamer said:
How about looking on Mars first, rule that completely out before looking even further away.
We did, we found nothing bar some bacteria, and now were looking on other planets. Like Europa, and Titan.