Natal Expected to Stab Gamers in the Wallet at $149

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Know what characterizes casual gamers? An unwillingness to spend $150+ to play Flash games.

This thing's a disaster waiting to happen.
/points at Wii.

Ahem.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Suki the Cat said:
Redingold said:
How many people here will still refer to it as Natal, even though that won't be it's final name? I know I probably will.
...until you hear the actual name and discover its so catchy and simple you just can't help but call it that instead of freakin Natal =3.
Microsoft Gem?

I can't see too many picking up the thing at this price. The funniest thing is how dead wrong Pachter would, once again, be in his messiah-like predictions. Man this guy should work a bit harder in his job.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Sorry but I'm not buying this crap, now I'm even more sure I won't with that price tag. I'll go buy a Wii.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Well, now the ball's in Sony's court. Can they deliver Move + PSEye (It needs the eye to work) for significantly lower?
Last I heard it was Controller+ Eye+ Game at 100$. Don't know if it's a rumor, but I remember reading along those lines.

I think 50$ was a little hopefull, I was predicting somewhere around 100 for Natal. 150 is definetely too much, it's no longer in the impulse buy territory for casuals and for gamers it'll have to show some good applications before they invest. E3 will show how it all goes down.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
TBH if it was as accurate as the original display video showed, I would have expected NATAL to go for more then $150. Motion sensors, face and voice recognition software this seemed like quite a hefty chunk of technology, almost Orwellian in nature, but neat ideas nonetheless.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, that's NATAL doomed then.

Why buy a console then a Wii equivalent when you could just buy a Wii for half as much and be done with? I can't see a casual player's reasoning going far beyon Motion control $300 vs Motion controls $199. Who know, maybe Ninty will drop the price to really screw Microsoft's (and Sony's) pooch.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Billion Backs said:
NickCaligo42 said:
Know what characterizes casual gamers? An unwillingness to spend $150+ to play Flash games.

/points at Wii.

Ahem.
Which is sold as a piece of fitness equipment, a CHEAP game console--an ENTIRE GAME CONSOLE, mind you, with big releases like Zelda, Smash Bros., Metroid, and Mario backing it up--and a bundle of other shit, like the Virtual Console. Most of the Xbox functionality does not require a NATAL, ergo there's a lot less reason to buy the thing. Also, the Wiimote, though it's a hugely flawed piece of crap, at least has movement controls and therefore CAN lend itself to more than just one-screen Flash games. Also, those people already own the Wii and will likely see less reason to get a NATAL.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Billion Backs said:
NickCaligo42 said:

/points at Wii.

Ahem.
Which is sold as a piece of fitness equipment, a CHEAP game console--an ENTIRE GAME CONSOLE, mind you, with big releases like Zelda, Smash Bros., Metroid, and Mario backing it up--and a bundle of other shit, like the Virtual Console. Most of the Xbox functionality does not require a NATAL, ergo there's a lot less reason to buy the thing. Also, the Wiimote, though it's a hugely flawed piece of crap, at least has movement controls and therefore CAN lend itself to more than just one-screen Flash games. Also, those people already own the Wii and will likely see less reason to get a NATAL.
Actually, I was also implying that said casual gamers surely have hundreds of dollars to spend on the so called "casual" Wii games of the sports variety and what not. Last time I checked, they weren't exactly free.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
As my 360 E-74'd a little while ago, I may hold off getting a new Arcade to replace and but a bundle...hopefully it'll feel like I'm being less ripped off...but to be fair the only reason I want one is because is bound to make Minority Report interfaces with it...

I'm not surprised by the price to be honest, if the Wand/Gem/whatever by Sony is aiming for a ?/$50 release price, then there was no way that the Natal was going to be the same price. Its a much more complicated piece of tech (for the record I love my PS3 and prefer it to my 360), and I dare ANY fanboy to say the Move is more impressive than the Natal.

Not Natal? At least now it won't be confused with a home neo-natal care unit.

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
Innovation costs. Remember how shocked everyone was when they found out that the current genaration would cost like £450? (I think.)

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
I was going to get it because it seemed interesting but i doubt I'm going to fork over 150$ over something that seems kinda cool.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Well, now the ball's in Sony's court. Can they deliver Move + PSEye (It needs the eye to work) for significantly lower?
Assuming Natal works for up to 4 players with 1 device, it's not that simple.

Certainly there's going to be an initial bit of sticker shock when you seem next to each other on a store shelf but the math is pretty easy. Let's say Sony puts out Eyetoy + Move Wand + Nunchuk for $100. Then each Wand + Nunchuk costs you an additional $50 (or more if Sony goes the Nintendo route and sells them separately). There's at least $200 for 4 player play. Suddenly the $150 for Natal doesn't seem so bad.

2up

Jun 15, 2009
That price is based on rumors. I think most here agree that $149 is too expensive even for such an amazing piece of tech. However, common sense tells me to wait until E3 for the official name, price and unveiling of its accompanying software.

I would also like to add that the Move and wii both require purchases of additional controllers and nunchuck style accessories for multiplayer play whereas Natal detects multiple players automatically without the added expense. Even so, the rumored $149 seems too big of a price barrier.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
And people thought all that IR heat technology would come for cheap bananas.

Heh...this is gonna be an uphill battle for them, especially considering it will take several years before the technology can be utilised for more advanced games, like shooters...and even moreso considering that by that time the next motion sensing gimmick system will probably be out the door already...

...overall way too much hassle than it looks to be worth.