Natal Expected to Stab Gamers in the Wallet at $149

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Natal Expected to Stab Gamers in the Wallet at $149

The Xbox 360's Project Natal might not be as cheap as many had hoped.

Despite Edge Online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98485-Analyst-Puts-Affordable-Price-on-Project-Natal] has put the motion camera control system at an expected price of $149.

The source also told Edge that Natal will be bundled with an Xbox 360 Arcade unit for $299. Sony's Move, the PlayStation 3 motion controller considered to be Project Natal's competition, is expected in multiple bundles, but with a sub-$100 price.

Natal's name may also be in for a change, with the source saying it "definitely" won't be called Natal. As expected, Natal/MicroEye/GatesVision will be "heavily targeted towards casual players and families." It's possible that Microsoft's strategy here is to align Natal itself alongside the Wii, as if buying a Natal camera would in effect add a Wii to your 360, making it somewhat "cheap" in the eyes of the casual consumer.

While $50 would have been an easy buy for me personally, if Edge's source turns out to be correct I don't see myself purchasing Natal anytime soon. Microsoft will have to demonstrate that Natal can be used for more than a Pong/Dodgeball game and Natal at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100101-River-Rush-is-Natal-Rafting-and-Molesting-Game], but for now this somewhat expensive price is confounding, if true.

Source: Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/news/natal-to-cost-149-%E2%80%93-source]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
All of a sudden those "The 360 is more expensive if you buy all the crap for it." Arguements just got some fuel. Oh joy... Glad I left GameSpot and 4Chan.

Calumon: Unless there'a fanboy or girl here! :S

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
How many people here will still refer to it as Natal, even though that won't be it's final name? I know I probably will.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Jeez, i would only buy it for that price if it sang happy birthday to me while shooting chocolate gold coins.

Dec 14, 2009
Redingold said:
How many people here will still refer to it as Natal, even though that won't be it's final name? I know I probably will.
Natal rolls off the tongue, more so than 'Moneystealer 9000'.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmmmm...

I was always doubtful that Natal could have sold at $50... out of the 3 motion control systems, it seems to be the most advanced (Move may come in at a close 2nd, but it was developing on pre-existing tech, and therefore Natal would probably have taken more costs from an R&D perspective), which generally means a higher price tag, as seen in each console generations.

I do believe that such a price point could significantly hurt the system, especially considering the current economic climate - if they're targeting the casual audience, then they will likely fail with a high price point, as they will be looking for the cheapest option, i.e., they'll still go for the Wii rather than the flashy advanced devices.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Redingold said:
Probably about as many people that still call their Wii "Revolution".

For the record, I still think "Wii" is an annoying name.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Meh a Wii Remote/Motion Plus with a Nunchuck goes for like 80-90$ in stores >.> 3 controllers costs more than 1console+controller... That's messed up.

Apr 28, 2008
I really hope its not required for Fable 3.

The games coming out for the PC so I don't think it is, still though, here's hoping.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Redingold said:
...until you hear the actual name and discover its so catchy and simple you just can't help but call it that instead of freakin Natal =3.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
motion control just won't work for long, it was a nice experiment but sometimes you want to control someone else in a game, not just be yourself.
as Moviebob said "Sony calls the wiimote a lollipop, then 4 years later designs a F**king lollipop for it's own motion controller"
I think Microsoft should pay you for owning Natal since you going to break $150 worth of stuff when you use it anyway.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It won't harm my wallet considering I have more interest in buying a DVD Re-winder than this.

Mar 16, 2009
We need to have a talk with that analyst from the last Natal news. But, I still think that a rafting/molesting game is all the interactivity we need. Well... not true. There's still...
Halo Reach: use Natal to perform realistic teabagging motions!

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
$150 means it will be something like £200 over here, what with Microsoft's strange currency exchange rates. I wasn't going to buy one before, now I have yet another reason not to. I guess I won't be playing Totemball 2 any time soon then.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Fuck Microsoft I'm buying a PS3. Xbox's really are more expensive! This better not be "required" for ANYTHING!