Natal Launch Will be "Like the Launch of Xbox 360"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Natal Launch Will be "Like the Launch of Xbox 360"

Microsoft is considering Project Natal more than an ordinary accessory - in fact, they're planning on launching the technology with fanfare comparable to that of the Xbox 360 itself.

If you've ever been to the launch of a major console, you know it's a big thing. Midnight parties, lines down the street ... everyone wants to be one of the lucky few people to get their hands on the thing as early as possible.

Console peripherals, on the other hand? Not so much. Oh sure, the Wii Balance Board was in hot demand, but were people lining up for midnight launches? Nah.

Shane Kim, Microsoft's head of long-term Xbox 360 strategy, told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5287069/natal-launch-will-be-as-big-as-360s] that the company is planning differently for Project Natal. In fact, they're intending that the launch of Natal will be like launching a brand-new console, and preparing accordingly - and that includes having a Natal launch line-up:

"It's going to be that big. We're not just going to ship it when the hardware and software are ready. We have to make sure that there are enough content experiences that are really good. That's similar to how you would think of the launch of a new console. It's got to have a great launch line-up. That's the same thing here."

Meanwhile, ubiquitous industry analyst Michael Pachter (that dude is everywhere) said that he thought Natal would require a third-party line-up of approximately 30 games for its launch.

So, what do you think? Are midnight launches for Natal in the cards? Or is MS shooting a bit too high here?

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Lol, it definitely seems like Microsoft is setting themselves up for failure here. Natal seems cool, but certainly not cool enough to stand in line at midnight for.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jsnoopy said:
Lol, it definitely seems like Microsoft is setting themselves up for failure here. Natal seems cool, but certainly not cool enough to stand in line at midnight for.
Y'know, I thought this, but I've read some firsthand impressions that really changed my mind - this great piece at Kikizo [http://games.kikizo.com/features/microsoft-natal-xbox-360-why-its-a-big-deal-p1.asp], for instance.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I think Microsoft is putting a little too much faith in the people eager for motion control...

EDIT: To clarify my stance, it might sell well (being packed with the console notwithstanding) though I doubt that it's going to get as much support as Microsoft thinks it'll get, let alone good support.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I think they are pushing this a little far. Sure not needing a controller will be revolutionary, but if they keep hyping it up like this it's going to end in a lot of disappointment (overhype generally never is a good thing).

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Yeah I don't see it flying off the shelves at this moment in time unless they can get some good press out on games before they do the big launch event. I think people are going to be very skeptical until it proves itself in use. Especially those people who bought the Wii off of the thought of one to one motion controls to learn that it was mostly waggle. Not saying the Wii is bad just that it did not quite live up to the way Nintendo made it sound and that I think will drive a decent number of people to be hesitant about a midnight buy of the natal camera.

Could be wrong just my 2 cents.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
So a very big and expensive event for a hopefully big and probaly exspensive product. Of course microsft will do a lot of adveritsing for it probably involing the happy family playing with it like in every "core" gaming ad ever created.

I still reckon Milo is evil.

Raptortim

Sep 18, 2008
Do you mean a release with severe problems and a shortage of games?
Thank you, I will be here all week.

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
Seeing as it has to come with it's own computer, it'll probably be as expensive as a console, too.
But It'll sell well. People will see celebrities flailing about for days and want in on it.
It's also a level of psychological immersion that'll mesmerize all manner of folks, it'll be the new thing for awhile.
With 1, just 1, addictive casual game, Natal could quite possibly give Microsoft their big win in the console wars - in retail, at least.
Bleh.

Kailat777

Oct 28, 2008
I seriously doubt this thing is going to do everything that the marketing commercial claims it will be able to do. Having said that, if it does perform as stated, then... well, still no. The general public wouldn't care less.

However, if it does everything it wants to, I will certainly be picking one up, along with a 360 (gave mine to my family before I left for college, so I'm currently 360-less).

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
I for one am interested to see how Natal will fare, certainly it could be great, though I think it will meet will initial failure and in perhaps a year if theres a flashy game or two out for it then it will see a significant increase in sales. Just out of interest though, how much is it going to cost?

Also theres going to be a ton of glitches.

Bluesnow

Jun 10, 2009
I personally like normal controllers...
If this keeps going by next generation they might starting thinking normal controllers are unique and original again.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Jsnoopy said:
Y'know, I thought this, but I've read some firsthand impressions that really changed my mind - this great piece at Kikizo [http://games.kikizo.com/features/microsoft-natal-xbox-360-why-its-a-big-deal-p1.asp], for instance.
I'm not really convinced... I see no need for the thing is all. I'm happy with a normal controller. It screams "gimmick", an attempt to overtake the Wii's sales.