Natalie Portman to Crunch Zombies in Jane Austen Film

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Natalie Portman to Crunch Zombies in Jane Austen Film

Actress Natalie Portman will be stepping into the shoes of Jane Austen heroine Elizabeth Bennet to slay zombies and fret about social standing in the film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

It's been almost a year since we first learned about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89342-Pride-and-Prejudice-and-Zombies], Seth Grahame-Smith's horror adaptation of the beloved novel that mashes up Jane Austen's 1813 classic with scenes of zombie attacks, cannibalism and battles against ninjas. In Grahame-Smith's version, the five Bennet sisters must not only contend with questions of love and social standing, but must use their martial arts training to moonlight as hunters of the living dead.

Now, courtesy of Variety magazine and the Lions Gate [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8407986.stm]. Portman will also be starring as heroine Elizabeth Bennet as she battles things that should not be alive (much like co-star Hayden Christensen's career after the Star Wars prequels).

Portman, who holds a degree in psychology from Harvard University that she earned while working on the three new Star Wars films, is known to have a sense of humor about her work - which certainly explains her Saturday Night Live "Natalie Portman Rap." [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8e6-IeQ0aw]

That's pretty much all the information we have right now: Natalie Portman will be killing zombies as a turn-of-the-19th-century Austen heroine. But let's be honest - do we really need anything more than that?

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/92249513@N00/3928039130])

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Before people start complaining about there being too many zombie-movies, I'd like to say this:

Awesome

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I actually like Natalie Portman a lot. I want to see Closer, she was pretty good in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and am I the only person on the internet who actually liked the Star Wars prequels? Because sometimes it seems so. And I highly recommend Zach Braff's debut film as director and writer, Garden State. Portman has a major role in it and it is one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

However, I'm not so sure about this. I probably would read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies if I got it from the library, but I don't know much about it otherwise. However, although I like zombies and I like Jane Austen's works, I can't really see a film of the zombie version being too successful. Then again, I may be wrong. Only time, and the box office sales, will tell...

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
This actually has me grinning like an idiot. =D

I love Natalie Portman, and the whole concept of her killing zombies in a big frilly dress just seems so awesome. :D

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
As I loved the actual P&P and enjoy redeadifying dead things, I'm definitely going to watch this.
If Mr. Collins gets eaten, I will see it twenty times.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Trivun said:
I actually like Natalie Portman a lot. I want to see Closer, she was pretty good in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and am I the only person on the internet who actually liked the Star Wars prequels? Because sometimes it seems so. And I highly recommend Zach Braff's debut film as director and writer, Garden State. Portman has a major role in it and it is one of the best films I've seen in a long time.
Nope, I loved the prequel trilogy too - more than the original trilogy I'd say.
And Garden State is one of my favourite movies ever - she's amazing in it.

And let's not forget V For Vendetta. :D

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Trivun said:
am I the only person on the internet who actually liked the Star Wars prequels? Because sometimes it seems so.
No, I enjoyed them too, just nowhere near as much as the originals.

OT: this sounds interesting (which is more than I could say about a normal Jane Austen adaptation...) and ridiculous, but in a good way.
I'll end up giving this a look, even though I've not read the book. Anyone know whether Pride & Predjudice & Zombies is even worth picking up?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Trivun said:

However, I'm not so sure about this. I probably would read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies if I got it from the library, but I don't know much about it otherwise. However, although I like zombies and I like Jane Austen's works, I can't really see a film of the zombie version being too successful. Then again, I may be wrong. Only time, and the box office sales, will tell...
Oh good, I'd only seen her in the Star wars movies before, wasn't sure how good an actress she is.

And yeah, outside of Episode 3, you are the only one who likes the prequels ;)

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
As long as shes nekked or wearing cloths that are tight enough that she looks nekked

Ill see it.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'm surprised I missed the original story on this, I think this is going to be the "lulz" movie for the year its realsed. It just doesn't scream "good" movie".

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
This actually has me grinning like an idiot. =D

I love Natalie Portman, and the whole concept of her killing zombies in a big frilly dress just seems so awesome. :D
Same.
And because i have 4 sisters i have seen P&P.
There is nothing i would like to see more than a Zombie hoard destroy half the characters from P&P.

Feb 13, 2008
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

Awesome.

Now, if they do Sense and Sensibility And Sea-Monsters next, that'll even make up for PotC 2&3 being awful.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Hollywood may finally have created a version of Pride and Prejudice that I will watch because I actually wanted to. I called my sister (major fan of the book, myriad adaptations, etc) and told her about it the second I read the headline, just to hear her chortle of laughter.