Nathan Fillion's Guardians of the Galaxy Cameo Revealed

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Nathan Fillion's Guardians of the Galaxy Cameo Revealed

The underwhelming identity of Nathan Fillion's Guardian of the Galaxy role has been confirmed.

Nathan Fillion, at this point, could safely be branded as one of the pillars of modern nerdom. Even with his role in Firefly now long (and depressingly) in the past, he's beloved by most everyone and his inclusion in anything is often treated like an event unto itself. You can perhaps understand then why fans went bonkers when it was revealed that he'd have a cameo in the soon to released Guardians of the Galaxy. Imaginations ran wild with anticipation! What would he play? Who would he be? The answer may be less exciting than some were hoping for.

A recent report from The Nerdist has confirmed that Fillion's role in the film is limited to voicing an inmate who is quickly dispatched by Groot and Rocket Raccoon during the prison sequence recently previewed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135747-Marvel-Is-Showing-17-Minutes-Of-GOTG-In-Theaters-Free>to Imax audiences. This would fall very much in line with previous statements from director James Gunn who, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135602-Nathan-Fillion-Will-Appear-in-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Update>speaking on Twitter, said that Fillion would have "a very small fun cameo" that he performed "as a favor."

In other words, this is basically a real, honest-to-god cameo and not some veiled revealed of future Marvel movies to come. On the one hand that's a tad disappointing. On the other, it's still pretty cool to think that the Captain was nice enough to take on a bit part to help out his friend. What do you think? Were you hoping for more or did you believe Gunn and company when they said that Fillion wouldn't be receiving a larger role?

Source: The Nerdist

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, at least I'm not pressured the watch the movie now. I mean I'll probably check it out some time but but if he had a major role I would be way more hyped.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Well, unless that inmate was thrown into space to later get pickup by Galactus (ie Silver Surfer) I have no problem with these sorts of actual short cameos. That's what a cameo is.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I honestly don't understand all the massive fandom for Nathan Fillion. He isn't a bad actor, and I honestly could easily see him as Starlord, to be completely honest, but I would never see a movie just because he is in it.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Why? What is the point on reporting and revealing a movie cameo? Now the moment is spoiled, and I'll know what to look for. The cameo is now entirely worthless. Why must the entertainment press wring out every little detail of a films plot, characters and storyline? Leaked scripts, spoiled cameos, everything but perhaps the ending (spoilers: Good guys win!) is apparently fair game. Is nothing sacred?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Defective_Detective said:
Why? What is the point on reporting and revealing a movie cameo? Now the moment is spoiled, and I'll know what to look for. The cameo is now entirely worthless. Why must the entertainment press wring out every little detail of a films plot, characters and storyline? Leaked scripts, spoiled cameos, everything but perhaps the ending (spoilers: Good guys win!) is apparently fair game. Is nothing sacred?
I... Are you joking? I can't tell. If not, and you legitimately wanted the cameo not to be spoiled, then why in blazes would you have clicked an article saying that the cameo was revealed.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Laser Priest said:
I... Are you joking? I can't tell. If not, and you legitimately wanted the cameo not to be spoiled, then why in blazes would you have clicked an article saying that the cameo was revealed.
Never mind the nitty-gritty, out-and-out blabbing of the whole thing, this was spoiled for me as soon as I saw "Nathan Fillion Cameo" in the title in the main newsfeed. Surely a cameo of any kind ought to be a surprise if it's meant to have any kind of impact?

Though with my cynical hat on, I know why they do this. It's so Firefly fans will put their butts in seats during opening weekend for the chance to glimpse Captain Firefly in some middle-of-the-road film.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Laser Priest said:
Never mind the nitty-gritty, out-and-out blabbing of the whole thing, this was spoiled for me as soon as I saw "Nathan Fillion Cameo" in the title in the main newsfeed. Surely a cameo of any kind ought to be a surprise if it's meant to have any kind of impact?

Though with my cynical hat on, I know why they do this. It's so Firefly fans will put their butts in seats during opening weekend for the chance to glimpse Captain Firefly in some middle-of-the-road film.
Middle of the road film.

HAH

/waits for someone to take the bait.

OT: Was pretty sure he wasn't going to have a major part. Think the press took it and ran with it as far as they could go.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Eh. I guess I'm just a little miffed that entertainment press scrape away any layer of mystery from any sort of upcoming media by lapping up and digging into every little press release, leaked material...

Before Web 2.0, I could just NOT buy a magazine or newspaper. Now with the internet, I can't seem to help finding out every little detail of upcoming productions through shares on my Facebook, Twitter, the front page of Youtube, whatever...

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I had heard the rumor that he was going to be the voice of Cosmo (the telekinetic Soviet dog) in a brief appearance. Random inmate is less cool, unless its not just anybody and is actually someone of some small significance (i.e. someone who has a name) from the comics.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Well I know it would have thrown all continuity to hell and back, but I kinda would have liked to have seen Malcolm Reynolds (and Zoe Walsh-AKA Gina Torres) haggling with some shop keeper in the background.

Yea I know...I know. Firefly has sweet-fuck-all to do with Guardians of the Galaxy or the MCU in general. But I still would have smiled if I saw it.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
JenSeven said:
Well, unless that inmate was thrown into space to later get pickup by Galactus (ie Silver Surfer) I have no problem with these sorts of actual short cameos. That's what a cameo is.
Marvel cannot use the Silver Surfer or Galactus, Fox are the one holding the movie right for those.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm actually very glad to hear this. Because this leaves Fillion open to play a bigger part in the MCU down the line.

In other words, this leaves my dream of him playing Guardian in the Alpha Flight movie totally still possible!

I mean c'mon, Nathan Fillion was BORN to play this character...

LOOK AT IT!!!

Although Alpha Flight MIGHT be owned by Fox...I don't know. It's sometimes fuzzy with this copyright stuff. I mean technically Alpha Flight premiered in an X-Men comic, but I mean Punisher appeared in a Spiderman comic and he's with Marvel, not Sony. Mystique appeared in Ms. Marvel comic and she's with Fox so...I don't exactly know where the lines get drawn.

JUST LET ME HAVE THIS DREAM!!!

...Plus I've already started working on my Alpha Flight script >_>

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eh. This news is...okay.

iniudan said:
Marvel cannot use the Silver Surfer or Galactus, Fox are the one holding the movie right for those.
He's Nathan Fillion. Your argument is invalid. >.>

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I saw the movie today and didn't spot Fillion at all.
I completely forgot he was supposed to be in the movie until I saw him listed in the credits as "Monstrous Inmate".

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
I think fillion needs to get his ass in a real show and quit doing fucking castle if the show is in fact still airing.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I didn't bother reading this article. I just wanted to say that the more I hear/see about Nathan Fillion's cameo, the LESS I want to see Guardians of the Galaxy. I have nothing against Fillion, but he's NOT an amazing actor. He's NOT capable of playing any role. And his cameoing in a movie about space outlaws came as NO surprise. Why do people care about this so much?

Apr 17, 2009
Oh wait, he was that guy? I've seen the film in an advance screening (for the record I thought it was great) and I think I know who they mean. Honestly could not have guessed that was Fillion's voice