Naughty Dog Enlists Fans to Fix Uncharted Mechanics

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Naughty Dog Enlists Fans to Fix Uncharted Mechanics

When fans complained about the aiming in Uncharted 3, Naughty Dog listened - in person.

If you're like me, you've already blasted through the Uncharted 3 single player, stopping only for reasons of continued employment, hygiene, or consciousness. Most fans and critics agree: the game is took great pains [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9202-Uncharted-3-Drakes-Deception-Review] to point out a handful of very specific problems with the aiming mechanics in single-player. Not only did Naughty Dog hear them out, but actually invited fans for a sit-down in its Santa Monica offices. The results look promising: a patch to improve Uncharted 3's flawed shooting mechanics could be on its way.

Two forumites, CartridgeBlower and AwesomeSauce, heeded a call from Naughty Dog community manager Arne Meyer. After reading a laundry list of concerns about the aiming in Uncharted 3's single player campaign, Meyer asked for fans in the area with some free time on November 4, 2011 to meet in person. CartridgeBlower and AwesomeSauce laid out a number of issues, including imprecise aiming, unhelpful auto-aim, and the lack of a "motion blur" effect. These concerns may sound pedantic, but neither Uncharted 2 nor the Uncharted 3 multiplayer shared these issues.

Following the meeting, both parties had positive news. "The guys at [Naughty Dog] were totally awesome and seemed to be fully genuine in wanting to get a fix together as soon as possible," wrote CartridgeBlower. "I sat down and played with a couple tweaked versions of the new controls, and they were definitely more in line with the [multiplayer and Uncharted 2]." Meyer described the meeting as "really fruitful," and Naughty Dog staff has promised future patches [http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_3_patch_101_notes/] that will likely address the aiming problems.

While the aiming in Uncharted 3 is an integral part of the game, the real victory here is for gamers and developers who are willing to speak and listen to one another in a calm, collected, and intelligent manner. A group of fans had cogent complaints about an otherwise-excellent game, and the studio responded with civility and an earnest desire to make its product even better. Kudos to both NeoGAF and Naughty Dog. Hopefully, this is only the first in a long line of open dialogues between gamers and developers.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450878]

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Good, I now have a reason to not have this in my collection yet, other than too many other games filling my free time.

Also, I don't think this has ever happened before. So props to Naughty Dog, they just got bumped up a few notches on my list of trusted dev teams.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Let's hope that doesn't impede with melee because I forcefully had to melee my way through the campaign.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Normally I'd say that listening to the fans is a horrible idea. In this case, however, they DISCUSSED with the fans, and on good terms.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Better late than never I guess.

I will wait before I buy this one.

Can anyone answer me this tho... Do any sort of silly fantasy creatures show up in this game too?
In keeping with the tradition of the series, it's a bit complicated to talk about. The following is spoilered more for 1 & 2 than 3

There's actually a fine line between fantasy and reality that's being straddled here. It's more in tune with the Yetis of 2 than the zombies of 1 in terms of being more towards reality just with a bit of fantasy tossed in. This is just referring to the first set of foes, who actually don't get as explored as you'd think they would since the story isn't really about them so much as the fact that they just happen to live in those types of areas. The second group messes around with the line horribly and I'm not going to tell you more because that would really be a spoiler.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I thought this was going to be something different. And worse. This seems like a good deal. Unless I missed something.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
<3
I noticed that the aiming felt a bit wonky. Hopefully this will fix that feel. The game is great and it's a testament to gameplay pacing, and I've always been a good fan of Naughty Dog, so it's nice to hear they're working to improve it. Reminds me of Resistance 3, where the fan suggestions from R2 caused it to bounce back from two-weapons and health regen to the Half-life-ish version we got recently.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Better late than never I guess.

I will wait before I buy this one.

Can anyone answer me this tho... Do any sort of silly fantasy creatures show up in this game too?
All I'll say is that they actually play that assumption against you in the ending. I'll say no more and leave it to you to find out.

OT: Well that's awesome! I've never particularly had much of a problem with the aiming, but I was probably having too much fun to care!