Naughty Dog "Flat-Out Refused" to Change Last of Us Cover

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
People actually care about the sex of a box-art's central character?

I thought that it was good to go as long as it didn't look awful. And that's a nice-looking cover by all means.

And hey, Heavy Rain's US box art [http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/uploads/Heavy_Rain_North_American_box_art.jpg] put Madison at the front (for... some reason), and that sold pretty damn well.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
BelmontWolf said:
2 words...Tomb Raider...
Aren't...all the TR covers showing Lara Croft's boobs on the background of her body in general? I may be wrong, but that's what I remember from them - boobs, good looking body, Lara Croft, maybe guns. In that order.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
Way to stick to your guns Naughty Dog. Rarely has cover art been a factor in my purchasing of a game its not going to change the playing experience. After the game is in the console i rarely look at the box until i need to put the disc back in it.
Very excited about this game also Naughty Dog is the main reason i got a PS3 ,to play their games.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Huh? This is a thing? Some people decided they couldn't let the cover lie and now it's been blown up into a full on PR event? Come on internet, we can do better than this. Naughty Dog are right to show the girl more than the guy as she's the focal point of the game.

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
Dear Internet.
You officially have too much time on your hands if the position of characters on a box art is worth discussing beyond 'can't wait till that game comes out'.

Honestly I love the cover. It's atmospheric and emotional, though exactly which emotion I haven't decided yet. It looks very 'official', like a movie poster or something. Very legitimate. Very Nice.

If you want a bad example check out... uh, I dunno. Blacksite!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Is this not all slightly laughable considering we're going to be playing the bloke anyway?

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I know nothing about that game but the cover has already got me interested. Well that, and its made by naughty dog. Good for them, if they are trying to make a survival game with a lonely feel to it, the cover is a step in the right direction.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
sam13lfc said:
BelmontWolf said:
2 words...Tomb Raider...
Yep, and Mirror's Edge, Bayonetta, one of the ME3 cases too
Metroid, Heavenly Sword, Wet, RE: Code Veronica, Catherine, female characters on covers has never been controversial till now.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
ColdinT said:
purifico said:
Is that even a thing? Or are they just trying to get some easy PR riding Bioshock's back?
That's what I was thinking. They see Bioshock Infinite having PR issues with their cover, so they come out and tell the world that they're better than that.

Personally, I don't see why people are so hung up on box art anyway.
I would chock it up to the fact that all of Bioshock Infinites' box art designs are fucking terrible. Half the time it looks like a piece of concept art with the title logo slapped on or generic Blue/Orange design. It's all a big mess, at least The Last Of Us has good box art.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
How dare you Naughty Dog! Wow, I've just lost all respect for you as a developer. I WAS going to buy this game, because it looked fun and immersive, but not anymore seeing as a female is displayed in front of a man on the cover. Think of all the cooties I could get from touching the game!(Extreme sarcasm)

Seriously, are there really people out there who would pass up a game as prominent as this because of a cover? Gimme a break.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
THIS... is a big deal now?!

Wow.

Alright, then.

Part of me wants to go "Wayda go Naughty Dog" simply on merit of them not changing the cover just because of some whining.

And yes, I was planning on getting this game. I've liked Naughty Dog since Crash Bandicoot.

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
Matt Dellar said:
I love this cover, except for one thing: "Only On PlayStation."

Maybe I'll get a PS3 for this. I've always wanted to play a game where there's a non-sexualized female lead in an action-oriented role. I'd be a lot more interested if they just made a PC release, though.
Naughty Dog is why I buy Sony consoles, they only develop exclusives but their games are always worth it since they don't suffer from the issues multi-platform games force.

I do wish for a PC release though, if only because I'm lazy and don't want to change the input on my monitor or repair my controller from my PC to my PS3.

OT: A company that I can say 'Artistic Integrity' and not be ironic or joking about it, ND since the original Crash Bandicoot games have always been one of my favorite developers.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Uh... At the risk of sounding cynical, can I just point out how we have to take their word that the cover is being viciously attacked? Because I've seen nothing of the sort anywhere on the internet, and you'd think such comments would elicit a reaction from other gamers before they do from the developer. So, who exactly is campaigning to have the girl removed?

Perhaps they're playing heroes and martyrs, under attack by imaginary misogynists. Perhaps this is an attention-grab to generate customer goodwill now that most other marketing strategies have been exhausted. Curious how this all coincides with the recent outpouring of support for female gamers, making it conveniently topical.

Plus, "flat-out refused"? Sounds very courageous, almost as if they were under risk if they didn't change it. But they aren't - in fact, the opposite is more true, they'd attract more negative attention if they made the cover like the Bioshock Infinite one.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
For some reason, I keep thinking of William H. Macy continually asking "Where's my dinner?". That's how weird and outdated this controversy seems.