Naughty Dog Says Train Level Almost Broke Uncharted 2

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
kesslerparadox52 said:
Tuddle said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:
Wait, I have a PS3. Why haven't I bought this game yet? I GOT TO GET THIS GAME!
Because you don't like Nolan North?

PS: Doesn't matter if you never finished the first one, this one is infinitely better. Trust me.
Unlike some people I care about the story in games and I always finish the first game before I start the sequal.

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
OptimusPrime33 said:
Tuddle said:
kesslerparadox52 said:
Tuddle said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:

PS: Doesn't matter if you never finished the first one, this one is infinitely better. Trust me.
Unlike some people I care about the story in games and I always finish the first game before I start the sequal.
Same here, the first one was great and so's the second, BUT for games like MGS I wouldn't care at all.
I also have to finish Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4.
Yes I know I skipped number 3, that was the only game I ever skipped over to the next.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Mukiwa said:
I can imagine. Those scenes were simply astounding! That collapsing hotel part stunned me into silence with its sheer awesomeness.
How about this for a mind blowing statement:
If you showed this to my sister, she would call it "stupid" or "boring" and completely ignore the effort that goes into a game like this.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
kesslerparadox52 said:
Tuddle said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:
Who is that?
Guy who voices Drake, and about 50,000 other characters in games.

Anyway, I don't care if you have to take up prostitution on weekends to pay for it, GO BUY THIS GAME. NOW.

Never trust anyone who says "trust me"

[sub]I just sayin'[/sub]

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Well, considering the train level was one of the most memorable levels from any game I've ever played, I'd like to personally thank the developers for suffering through that rough patch. The final product was most definitely worth the effort.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
SonicKoala said:
Well, considering the train level was one of the most memorable levels from any game I've ever played, I'd like to personally thank the developers for suffering through that rough patch. The final product was most definitely worth the effort.
Definetly. The amount of work that went into that segments was superb! They did a great job...and although t may have nearly killed them it did prevail in the end. As it made for one hell of a level!

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
kesslerparadox52 said:
Tuddle said:
kesslerparadox52 said:
Tuddle said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:

Unlike some people I care about the story in games and I always finish the first game before I start the sequel.
Uh, did I do something to piss you off?
I was just SAYING i am ONE OF THOSE people that finish the first game before going to THE SEQUEL. If I TYPE IN A WAY that makes you feel like you PISSED ME OFF! I am sorry, I am not mad one bit. But I am PLAYING ALONG WITH THE JOKE! NOW LAUGH!

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Turtleboy1017 said:
I'm not quite sure I understand...

What do they mean by these fully moving pieces? I have played games in the past where I am on a train, or a crumbling building, and still managed to interact with other things around me... Can someone shed some light on the subject for me?
The player is actually standing on an object the size of a rail car, moving through a game level that is to-scale several kilometers long.
That's quite a technological achievement, seeing as games that have done things that appear similar have had many things hidden or simplified that are covered up.

In Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, that came out in 2004, had a mission in which you got to play on a French High-speed train. However, compared to [Uncharted 2] it was not all that much of a technological achivment, because the player was never on a rail car in it. The player was inside a standard game room that's painted up to look like the inside of a TGV with a giant box-room outside that's animated to make it look like you're moving.

Imagine a prop boxcar on some hydraulics so it moves around a bit and the player stands on that with some backgrounds moving by on a reel-to-reel background mural. Like the guy in this video [Link [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNmLPATW0s]]. That is far less demanding on a computer than having to think about very large open visleafs [http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleaf] of a nominal section of a railroad for a level and a large portion of an entire freight train as a navigable environment.

Small set with train on hydraulics versus actual full train on railroad. One can easily imagine which is much more technologically intimidating when it has to be calculated by a single console while still churning out a minimum of 30 frames a second.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
Ah, I understand now. Well damn, that is impressive. An engine rendering every little thing going on during the game? Pretty impressive when compared to some of the other "moving" levels I have been on.

But does it really offer an advantage? I mean, just curious but it seems like you could achieve the same sort of effect with technologies from the past, without so much strain on the hardware...

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
That was the best moving train level in any game ever. I think it's the first time I've played a moving train level and actually felt like I was on a moving train. The end of Gears of War was pretty close though.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Korten12 said:
Tuddle said:
*grabs sword* you say you havent yet..?
I haven't either....
You gotta play it it's awesome like Tenjho Tenge :p I just had to say that since your avatar is awesome.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Oooh... look at me. I'm a game designer. Ooooh.... we did these awesome things now praise us as this is awesomer than anyone else's stuff. Ooooh... and it was really, really hard so you should praise us extra much.

Gee whiz... don't pat yourself on the back too hard there. You might hurt your hand.

We get it. It was cool and you did your jobs well. Now stop bragging and get to work on part 3.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I'd say their effort was worth it, considering both the helicopter chase across the city, and the moving train level were easily both in my top ten greatest video game levels of all time.