Naughty Dog Says Train Level Almost Broke Uncharted 2

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
I'd probably have to agree. That level seemed to have so much going on, especially the "endless" train track.

chaostheory

May 14, 2008
FoolKiller said:
Oooh... look at me. I'm a game designer. Ooooh.... we did these awesome things now praise us as this is awesomer than anyone else's stuff. Ooooh... and it was really, really hard so you should praise us extra much.

Gee whiz... don't pat yourself on the back too hard there. You might hurt your hand.

We get it. It was cool and you did your jobs well. Now stop bragging and get to work on part 3.
Considering this is from the Game Developers Conference where their supposed to be discussing their successes and failures with other game developers and talking about how they did things and the challenges that arose based on their decisions this is most likely less patting themselves on the back and more of a discussion of what goes into developing these type of levels.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
It's like a fairytale!

I might cry because of this oscar-worthy happy ending.. *sniff*

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:
Wait, I have a PS3. Why haven't I bought this game yet? I GOT TO GET THIS GAME!
Because you don't like Nolan North?
Who is that?
He's only the voice of EVERYONE IN EVERY GAME.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636046/
Every game? Jeez, busy man.

Seems like a fun game. I'm not sure If I'll get it, though.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Really? I thought the Hotel Level and the Train Level were decidedly average. Infact, I thought the Train level just wasn't at all fun. It was just a long corridor full of enemies, in reality.

The only bit I truly found to be fun was the Cars level later in the game. Other than that, I didn't really enjoy Uncharted 2 at all.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
3.5 million copies?
Wow, that's a helluva lot for a PS3 game.

I've played the first, so I will give the 2nd a try eventually, and this has made me want to more.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Turtleboy1017 said:
Anarchemitis said:
Ah, I understand now. Well damn, that is impressive. An engine rendering every little thing going on during the game? Pretty impressive when compared to some of the other "moving" levels I have been on.

But does it really offer an advantage? I mean, just curious but it seems like you could achieve the same sort of effect with technologies from the past, without so much strain on the hardware...
Could it be done the old way, probably, would it have looked as good, no.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Irridium said:
I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to get the AI to work on the train. Would have probably driven lesser men insane.

Turtleboy1017 said:
I'm not quite sure I understand...

What do they mean by these fully moving pieces? I have played games in the past where I am on a train, or a crumbling building, and still managed to interact with other things around me... Can someone shed some light on the subject for me?
In those games it was merely an illusion. The actual platform or train the player was on wasn't moving, the rest of the world was.

Hope that sheds some light on it.
Does that makek a difference for the player though?

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tuddle said:
Because you don't like Nolan North?
Who is that?
He's only the voice of EVERYONE IN EVERY GAME.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636046/
Pfft, thats nothing compared to Steve Blum. Who's been in everything. Twice.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089710/

HK_01 said:
Irridium said:
I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to get the AI to work on the train. Would have probably driven lesser men insane.

Turtleboy1017 said:
I'm not quite sure I understand...

What do they mean by these fully moving pieces? I have played games in the past where I am on a train, or a crumbling building, and still managed to interact with other things around me... Can someone shed some light on the subject for me?
In those games it was merely an illusion. The actual platform or train the player was on wasn't moving, the rest of the world was.

Hope that sheds some light on it.
Does that makek a difference for the player though?
It might. The differences are probably subtle, but after playing on that train level, then playing other games that only move the level, not the train, you do feel the difference.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I actually thought that the Car Chase Level was the most impressive, at least in terms of gameplay. I hate to say it but the Train Level while technologically impressive could have probably been achieved by cheating a little, I mean ZOE2 had a train level, so did the original Red Dead Revolver. I may be sugar coating the past here but I can't recall either level "feeling" that much different from the one in Uncharted 2.

However both the Mountain Car Chase and the Collapsing Building were damned impressive pieces of game.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Other than mass effect 1 & 2, id say uncharted 2 was one of my favorite single player experiences of all time.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
There's something amusing about listening to console developers ***** about some things being hard to do because of hardware restraints.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Marik2 said:
Julianking93 said:
Korten12 said:
Tuddle said:
*grabs sword* you say you havent yet..?
I haven't either....
You gotta play it it's awesome like Tenjho Tenge :p I just had to say that since your avatar is awesome.
Is that what my avatar's from?

I just thought it looked cool :p

And no, I won't play Uncharted. I didn't like the first one.

irishstormtrooper

Mar 19, 2009
Huh. When I play the train level, and on every disc and console I've played it on, grenades still come flying back in your face if you throw them while standing on top of the train.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
From the sounds of it, i'm glad they only did this for PS3.
Imagine my 360 trying to chrun through the hotel level.
*shudders*

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Naughty Dog needs to stop with all the Uncharted stuff and do a remake (or sequel to) Keef The Thief!

Aug 13, 2008
im i the only one not impressed with the train level?
i mean it's been done quite a few times before (ie the end of gears of war) and surely it's the exact same concept as when you're dealing with high speed car shootouts?

their engine just sounds a bit crap for dealing with moving objects
looks good though

edit
hell, even sonic heroes (and that game was a technical mess) did the same thing fine

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
irishstormtrooper said:
Huh. When I play the train level, and on every disc and console I've played it on, grenades still come flying back in your face if you throw them while standing on top of the train.
Couldn't they just apply a constant opposite force to moving objects? Turning might cause some problems, but I'm sure they could figure it out.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Those set pieces were some of the most memorable moments I've ever experienced in my many years of gaming. I'm glad that Naughty Dog made the gamble of trying to make these levels and pulled it off because those levels were crucial in helping it win so many GOTY awards.