Naughty Dog Says Train Level Almost Broke Uncharted 2

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Turtleboy1017 said:
But does it really offer an advantage? I mean, just curious but it seems like you could achieve the same sort of effect with technologies from the past, without so much strain on the hardware...
It is sort of big and possibly wasteful, bu it gives interesting level design options, and also it just puts out there the innovation challenge.
MASSIVE [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MASSIVE_%28software%29] would've never been made had not the requirement to make an army of 10,000 unique orks been required.

If there is no need for invention, create some necessity.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
shewolf51 said:
Tuddle said:
Wait, I have a PS3. Why haven't I bought this game yet? I GOT TO GET THIS GAME!
You don't have the game, yet you have a PS3? This is blasphemy! The Uncharted games were the first ones I got after I got my PS3.
I've played them both through, I still don't know why everyone considers them to be the best games ever made. Yes the TECH was impressive, actually PLAYING it wasn't all that fun. And the WRITING, dear GOD it's terrible.

It fucking sickens me that "LOL oh well we had to sacrifice 3 months of everyone's on the team's life, ruin families and make people physically ill! But that's okay because we're pretty sure other companies work like that too."

I'd never work at a company that requires that much crunch.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
Kudos to naughty dog for finally coding for all 8 of the ps3s processors, rather than cding generally and compressing, and loved the game, finally a game with an epic story and actual final boss, rather than just online and poor nonsensical story

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
AC10 said:
shewolf51 said:
Tuddle said:
Wait, I have a PS3. Why haven't I bought this game yet? I GOT TO GET THIS GAME!
You don't have the game, yet you have a PS3? This is blasphemy! The Uncharted games were the first ones I got after I got my PS3.
I've played them both through, I still don't know why everyone considers them to be the best games ever made. Yes the TECH was impressive, actually PLAYING it wasn't all that fun. And the WRITING, dear GOD it's terrible.

It fucking sickens me that "LOL oh well we had to sacrifice 3 months of everyone's on the team's life, ruin families and make people physically ill! But that's okay because we're pretty sure other companies work like that too."

I'd never work at a company that requires that much crunch.
I guess it depends on your opinion. I personally loved both of the games. But as I said, that's just my opinion. You have your own about the games and that's just fine.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
i can haz r33l jax 4?

Haven't played Uncharted 2 so this doesn't apply to me, but NaughtyDog really fucked up by ditching their three best franchises...

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
It was a really big technical thing.

You have huge REALTIME High graphics worlds.

With REALTIME high quality lighting and Phyics.

With REALTIME Envireoments that are constantly changing.

With REALTIME Character Models that also change.

With REALTIME Sounds that depend on the situation you have created.

All With REALTIME Gameplay that switches on the fly in style depending on the player.

Think about creating such a code and the amount of time it takes to get it all right. You have a pretty big Achievement, Heck All that Realtime changing and rendering could have possibly been used to fully replicate a digital human organ.

You have to think about it a bit to see just how big of a thing it really is compared to other games where most of it is scripted or follows a pattern.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Personally, (PERSONALLY YOU F*CKING FANBOYS) I thought Uncharted 2 was a pile of frustration, while the first one was not half bad.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
PoisonUnagi said:
i can haz r33l jax 4?

Haven't played Uncharted 2 so this doesn't apply to me, but NaughtyDog really fucked up by ditching their three best franchises...
Everybody bitches when a company sticks with the same franchise/s for decades, now we're bitching when they do new things? I've always found it refreshing that Naughty Dog knows when to say when and move the hell on.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Damn. Its these kinds of games that make me wish I had a current-gen console.

Too bad these games only some along once in a blue-moon anymore. Not enough to justify purchasing a $300 PS3.