Nazi Zombies Invade Painkiller Hell and Damnation

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Nazi Zombies Invade Painkiller Hell and Damnation

Nordic Games' military-themed DLC pits Daniel against undead armies of the 20th Century.

One of the best features of the original Painkiller was its impressive range of varied environments. Being set in Purgatory, the game's designers could choose any historical setting, add a few demonic adversaries, and cut the player loose to destroy its world. Nordic Games seems to be continuing this tradition using Painkiller Hell and Damnations's DLC packs: After the medieval focus last January, a newly revealed Zombie Bunker set pits Daniel against the zombified armies of the 20th Century, including some familiar undead Nazis.

Zombie Bunker is largely a single-player release featuring three levels of zombies, demons, and new bosses. First up is the remake of Painkiller's Leningrad (now called Stalingrad), altered to include deployable zombie allies and enemy aircraft. A second remake, Military Base, now features Space Commandos, nuclear weapons, and a UFO boss fight. Finally, players can raid "The Bunker", an original map by Nordic set in a 1940s raid shelter. The pack is rounded off with a multiplayer map for all gameplay modes, the melee-based Morgenstern weapon, and an Armor Regenerating Tarot Card.

Having zombies in videogames may be old hat, but the opportunity to tear through them in a high-definition Painkiller could be fun nonetheless. Zombie Bunker is slated to launch sometime on March 29th through Steam's digital platform. Xbox 360 and PS3 users will have to wait until Painkiller: Hell and Damnation's console release, which has reportedly been pushed back to June 8th in North America.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Why not armies of possessed orphan children? That was my favorite level of the original game. Seeing swarms of screaming zombie children flanking me might actually make me shit myself.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well this is inevitable when your main team jumps ship and a bunch of newbies attempt content production, nazi zombies is what they know and it wont be long before the setting moves to middle east.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
Hell, why not try something new that people haven't done like Zombie Mongols?
You could do mounted archers, lancers, foot archers, spear-men. The enemy list writes itself.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hazzard said:
Hell, why not try something new that people haven't done like Zombie Mongols?
You could do mounted archers, lancers, foot archers, spear-men. The enemy list writes itself.
Hell, in spirit of the dev's name they could have done Zombie Vikings! Anything that hasn't been done before would be preferable honestly.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
The industry seems to really want more nazis lately.

Can we just go back to WW2 and get it out of their systems?

I'm up for a Battlefield 1944 or something. And a new Wolfenstein that doesn't suck would be nice!

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
A cold, cynical and lazy update. Oh, not to mention dumb. Surely they could've thought of something better than nazi zombies.

And I too agree with the notion of a return of WW2 games.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Devoneaux said:
Why nazis? Obvious yes but so uninspired. Surely there are other armies of evil throughout history we could bust our way through.
Well, the level was called Leningrad, which was based off, you know, Leningrad, in 1943, hence Nazis. You're also in purgatory, so the whole zombie/demon thing is kind of a given.

Then there is always the gamer fan base that will whine over everything. War theme set in the past, people complain that the enemy is always Nazis. War theme set present day, people complain that the enemy is always Russian. We got Homefront, a slightly futuristic war theme where North Korea was the enemy, and everyone complained that it was unrealistic since "North Korea could never invade the USA". What would people like that they wouldn't complain about?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Devoneaux said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Devoneaux said:
Why nazis? Obvious yes but so uninspired. Surely there are other armies of evil throughout history we could bust our way through.
Well, the level was called Leningrad, which was based off, you know, Leningrad, in 1943, hence Nazis. You're also in purgatory, so the whole zombie/demon thing is kind of a given.

Then there is always the gamer fan base that will whine over everything. War theme set in the past, people complain that the enemy is always Nazis. War theme set present day, people complain that the enemy is always Russian. We got Homefront, a slightly futuristic war theme where North Korea was the enemy, and everyone complained that it was unrealistic since "North Korea could never invade the USA". What would people like that they wouldn't complain about?
Easy:

Zombie huns

Demon Vikings

Also where is this "Everyone complains about everything" argument coming from and how does it relate to me? With over 7 billion people on the planet, it's probably a mathmatical certainty at least one person will complain about a given concept of subject, what does this have to do with my specific (and subjective) complaint that zombie Nazi's are passe?

Edit: Also "What would people like that they wouldn't complain about?" You don't group everyone everywhere into the same group when talking subjectives like this, be more specific, which people?
Maybe I'm missing this, but how is that easy or even at all logical? I'm not history major, but I'm pretty sure the huns and vikings were gone LONG (maybe 1500 years) before World War II. Again, the level Leningrad was based after the actual siege of Leningrad. Why would there be huns or vikings there? I'm not sure if you've ever played it, but Painkiller was a game that had unique levels and unique enemies to fit said levels (or at least the earlier games). You asked "Why nazis?" that is why there are Nazis, because that one level is WWII themed. Just like how there are little demon children in the orphanage and Templars with crossbows in Babel.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Devoneaux said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Devoneaux said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Devoneaux said:

Easy:

Zombie huns

Demon Vikings

Also where is this "Everyone complains about everything" argument coming from and how does it relate to me? With over 7 billion people on the planet, it's probably a mathmatical certainty at least one person will complain about a given concept of subject, what does this have to do with my specific (and subjective) complaint that zombie Nazi's are passe?

Edit: Also "What would people like that they wouldn't complain about?" You don't group everyone everywhere into the same group when talking subjectives like this, be more specific, which people?
Maybe I'm missing this, but how is that easy or even at all logical? I'm not history major, but I'm pretty sure the huns and vikings were gone LONG (maybe 1500 years) before World War II. Again, the level Leningrad was based after the actual siege of Leningrad. Why would there be huns or vikings there? I'm not sure if you've ever played it, but Painkiller was a game that had unique levels and unique enemies to fit said levels (or at least the earlier games). You asked "Why nazis?" that is why there are Nazis, because that one level is WWII themed. Just like how there are little demon children in the orphanage and Templars with crossbows in Babel.
To which I respond: "Don't make the level WW2 themed." Honestly I figured it was implied that the level would change with the enemy type, but whatever.
Hell and Damnation is a remake of the old one and the expansion (from 2004). So since Nazis and/or zombies have been "overdone" in the past 9 years, they are just supposed to not remake one of the original levels at all?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
So if Leningrad is being replaced with Stalingrad, does that mean we won't something like this in the soundtrack?

If so, I am gravely disappointed.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Devoneaux said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Devoneaux said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Devoneaux said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Devoneaux said:

Easy:

Zombie huns

Demon Vikings

To which I respond: "Don't make the level WW2 themed." Honestly I figured it was implied that the level would change with the enemy type, but whatever.
Hell and Damnation is a remake of the old one and the expansion (from 2004). So since Nazis and/or zombies have been "overdone" in the past 9 years, they are just supposed to not remake one of the original levels at all?
You know, I find it kind of funny that a remake is even common practice, would you rather just have a new one with new enemies and locals and weapons rather than just a retread of what they already did for quick easy money?

I don't know about you, but I think the idea of fighting Valkyries from hell with a gun that shoots spinning chainsaw blades to be rather kickass.
I'm guessing just from the way your posts have been that you've never played the Painkiller games? Not a bad thing or an insult by any means, but here is just a little history of the series. Feel free to skip to the next paragraph if you have played them. Painkiller was awesome and a great game, then they made Battle out of Hell, which was an expansion of that (added new levels, weapons, etc). Overdose was made a few years later and you played as a different character. Mostly new levels (one was a remake of one from BooH, but extended), and "reskinned" weapons. They were basically the same, but looked different and had some slight variations (think you had something that turned enemies to stone rather than freezing them). Overdose wasn't too bad. Then, there were the next three games: Resurrection, Redemption, and Recurring Evil (all made by different companies). I'm convinced that these all came up after Yahtzee did a video about Painkiller and the hype for the game most likely skyrocketed. Resurrection wasn't too bad, but it was no where near as good as the original. With Redemption and Recurring Evil, they seemed to completely miss the point. There were half a dozen levels, at most, and they seemed to focus on just having a ton of enemies to kill. I swear in Redemption that I sat in the same area for 10 minutes killing guys that constantly spawned in. It seemed like a multiplayer level with 1,000 enemies thrown in then label and a single player level. Recurring Evil was so horrid that I quit after the first level. The enemies did not fit with the level, and the game was just trash. I was going to quit playing these trash Painkiller games that were coming out, until I saw the newest one was made by The Farm 51 (a company started by ex-People Can Fly [company that made the original Painkiller and BooH] employees).

So, to answer your question, I'd rather take the remake than a new game as far as Painkiller goes. All the "new" ones were not where near as good, and two of the four were just horrid and they were the ones made for quick easy money. This remake just change a few of the levels up (from the little I've played) and does add new weapons (which, is rather funny, since the first new weapon you get is a gun that fires spinning saw blades).