NBA Jam Remake Confirmed for Wii

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
NBA Jam Remake Confirmed for Wii

He's on fire. Wild shot. Boom-shaka-laka. These are phrases that may be yelled at us again on the Nintendo Wii.

The NBA Jam remake that was rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97262-Rumor-NBA-Jam-Returning-Exclusively-to-the-Wii] last week to be coming exclusively to the Wii has been officially announced. The ultimate multiplayer arcade basketball franchise is back, with an apparent focus on revisiting and updating the original play mechanics that made it great.

Multiple games have been labeled with the NBA Jam moniker since the original's release in 1993, with none reaching even close to its level of popularity. NBA Jam still inspired an entire genre, leading to other "extreme" sports games such as NHL Hitz and MLB Slugfest, while the popular NFL Blitz may even owe its existence to NBA Jam. EA says the remake, titled EA Sports NBA Jam, will be "true to the original" while also adding updated physics, visible player emotion, and new game modes.

Though last week's rumor stated that EA Sports NBA Jam would be exclusive to the Wii, the press release doesn't mention exclusivity, though it does only mention the Wii. I can't imagine why any company other than Nintendo would develop an exclusive Wii game anymore, especially a game like NBA Jam which would thrive on Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network. The Wii may be billed as a family machine for people of all ages, but those families seem to only want to play Wii Sports Resort and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. NBA Jam is immediately something I think of as an experience meant for either all consoles, or those other than the Wii. Maybe EA knows something I don't.

Not a whole lot on EA Sports NBA Jam has been released yet and its official website [http://www.nba-jam.easports.com/] isn't even working as of this writing. Original NBA Jam designer Mark Turmell is back to put his two cents into the project, but I just hope he's not putting effort into something that will fly under the radar of most Wii owners. EA Sports NBA Jam is currently scheduled for a vague 2010 release date.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Oh, cool. That was one of the few sports games I enjoyed (Tournament Edition, at least). I'll look forward to it.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I wish they put it on Xbox Live, because this is the best sports game I've ever played.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I cannot wait for this! One of my favorite games ever. Let's hope they don't add some many "perks" that it takes the fun away.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Dr. Wily III said:
Let us hope that it will not suck like Turtles in Time Re-Shelled..
Amen to that! If they're gonna have the original play mechanics then this re-make would be perfect for XBLA.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
FROM DOWNTOWN!!! (player jumps from midcourt to dunk it)

I remember playing this game for hours in arcades and on my old Sega. Although if it's Wii only then I won't get to play it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The Great JT said:
Well, I still have the Sega Genesis version...
lol, thats a fair bit old! lol, nice one! I actually remember playing that XD

j1-2themax

Jun 30, 2008
I hope this makes its way to Xbox Live eventally.
I also hope that this means NFL Blitz will get the same treatment some time in the near future, even if the odds are against that.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
AvsJoe said:
I have only one thing to say:

[HEADING=1]BOOM SHAKA-LAKA![/HEADING]
Ha ha ha! I forgot about that!

I hope they put the original NBA Jam (or TE) on the Virtual Console to coincide with this release.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
official website link is broken. OT, great news, this is one of the few sports game i've ever liked.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
NBA jam with imprecise motion control?

eeehhhhhh.... dunno if a frantic, fast paced game style is right for that.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. PLEASE BE GOOD. PLEASE...

And so forth.

Played the hell outta this in the arcade; it might be the only game I put more money into than MK I/II. Did I mention please be good? Because I really REALLY want it to be good. Really.

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
Damn it! Now I gotta fix my Wii fast! can't wait to start breaking backboards with gravity defying slam dunks again, or shooting from the three point sweet spot.