NBC fires Donald Trump

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
thebobmaster said:
"I like Mexico. I love the Mexican people. I do business with the Mexican people, but you have people coming through the border that are from all over. And they're bad. They're really bad... You have people coming in, and I'm not just saying Mexicans, I'm talking about people that are from all over that are killers and rapists and they're coming into this country."
Uh... what's wrong with that statement? It's absolutely true.

The data, released by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert W. Goodlatte at the beginning of a hearing with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Sarah Saldana, also showed that the 30,558 criminal aliens ICE knowingly released back into the community in 2014 had amassed nearly 80,000 convictions, including 250 homicides, 186 kidnappings and 373 sexual assaults.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/14/feds-releasing-illegal-immigrant-rapists-murderers/#ixzz3eVFhMhvf
There are a /lot/ of reasons to want to disassociate yourself with Trump, but that comment isn't one of them.
You are right about that. But, the Problem is that that quote is his slightly modified response after he was called out for his earlier worse comment. His earlier comment, while simply talking about all Mexicans without any other qualifiers, was that "they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists, and some I assume are good people."

That's the one that really got him into trouble. Just wanted to set the record straight on that one.

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Dimitriov said:
Kopikatsu said:
thebobmaster said:
"I like Mexico. I love the Mexican people. I do business with the Mexican people, but you have people coming through the border that are from all over. And they're bad. They're really bad... You have people coming in, and I'm not just saying Mexicans, I'm talking about people that are from all over that are killers and rapists and they're coming into this country."
Uh... what's wrong with that statement? It's absolutely true.

The data, released by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert W. Goodlatte at the beginning of a hearing with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Sarah Saldana, also showed that the 30,558 criminal aliens ICE knowingly released back into the community in 2014 had amassed nearly 80,000 convictions, including 250 homicides, 186 kidnappings and 373 sexual assaults.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/14/feds-releasing-illegal-immigrant-rapists-murderers/#ixzz3eVFhMhvf
There are a /lot/ of reasons to want to disassociate yourself with Trump, but that comment isn't one of them.
You are right about that. But, the Problem is that that quote is his slightly modified response after he was called out for his earlier worse comment. His earlier comment, while simply talking about all Mexicans without any other qualifiers, was that "they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists, and some I assume are good people."

That's the one that really got him into trouble. Just wanted to set the record straight on that one.
Was about to mention that the quote was modified, however how does adding in the "..and some I assume are good people." portion make him more in hot water? It states clearly that in his thought process he probably realized that some people are going to think that he said all Mexicans are evil, so he tacked it on to the end of his statement. Which I fully agree with. Illegals bring drugs, crime of all kinds, and lets not forget that they're ILLEGAL to begin with. So they're criminal already.

Now this is when the liberals or mind-slashed of the world will respond "well your ancestors were immigrants too!" However, my ancestors were legal immigrants. One half may have come during the time when borders were practically open but they still went through the immigration process. The other half came over before that time and were legal as well. So yes, My ancestors were immigrants, and I"m proud of that. However, they were LEGAL immigrants. That's all I care about.

dethyodel

Brotherman Bill
Oct 7, 2013
lax4life said:
Does this mean that his presidential run isn't another marketing gimmick this time?
Everything Donald Trump does is a marketing gimmick. Possibly Definitely including being fired from NBC. See how well it works? We're discussing him right now.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Ah man, I have to defend Trump? This is going to hurt.

I stand by my thoughts on free speech and censorship: I'm about the ideal that in most circumstances the suppression of ideas is not desired as it limits the introduction of new ideas and potential truths because they're uncomfortable. Denying someone a platform, while you may have every right to do it, does not escape that connotation of the term "censorship" of trying to suppress certain opinions or punish those that have them.

I saw too much of this "they said something we don't like so they have to disappear" attitude in the years after 9/11 being applied to anyone critical of the president, his policies, his war, or American culture in general to be fully comfortable seeing it again, even if I think Trump is an idiot and represents everything wrong with modern American capitalism.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
jackknife402 said:
Was about to mention that the quote was modified, however how does adding in the "..and some I assume are good people." portion make him more in hot water? It states clearly that in his thought process he probably realized that some people are going to think that he said all Mexicans are evil, so he tacked it on to the end of his statement. Which I fully agree with. Illegals bring drugs, crime of all kinds, and lets not forget that they're ILLEGAL to begin with. So they're criminal already.

Now this is when the liberals or mind-slashed of the world will respond "well your ancestors were immigrants too!" However, my ancestors were legal immigrants. One half may have come during the time when borders were practically open but they still went through the immigration process. The other half came over before that time and were legal as well. So yes, My ancestors were immigrants, and I"m proud of that. However, they were LEGAL immigrants. That's all I care about.
Ummm, seriously?

The qualifier isn't what got him in trouble. Its the statement itself.

Its like saying that all Jews are money grubbers or that all Muslims are terrorists.

To simplify, its like starting a sentence with no offense or I'm not racist, but. What you're about to say is absolutely offensive and/or extremely racist. Trying to diminish it just makes the original statement worse.

Him saying "and some I assume are good people" means the vast majority of illegal immigrants (many of whom are fuckin children mind you) are, in his mind, rapists, criminals, and drug users.

Its bullshit and I bet even Trump knows its bullshit (much like how I want to believe Ann Coulter knows what she says is bullshit). However he plays down to the absolute lowest of the lowest common denominators in the Republican party. The birthers, the religious fundies who think that taking birth control is somehow murdering future children, the racist shitbags who fly their confederate flags proudly all while claiming it totally has nothing to do with racism. He knows how to get those people riled up and on his side and he knows that doing so is empowering in many ways (though it means he torpedoes any hope of actually going anywhere in the primaries, which is a horrid shame imo).

Either way, as a child of an illegal immigrant, people like him can go shove off for all I care. My family has done more for their communities in the last month than a shitbag like Trump has done for anyone other than himself in his entire life.

Also, totally not a free speech issue. What he said was bullshit and inflammatory and its not remotely the worst thing he's ever said or done. The fact that NBC kept him around as long as they did was shocking to say the least. Look for him to land a nice cushy job at Fox News sometime soon where he can join the other racist shitbags and they can spew racist shitbaggery to each other.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dynast Brass said:
American children should be forced to memorize their Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Do it to Trump first. Set a good example by educating our nation's idiots.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Souplex said:
I'm surprised nobody's made the obvious joke.
The OP made the obvious joke in the thread title. It's more accurate to say that NBC are cutting their business ties to Trump, but "NBC fires Donald Trump" is more witty.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Freedom of speech has not been violated in any way. That right means that nobody can press charges against you for what you've said, and nobody is. Just because you have freedom of speech doesn't mean that your words have no consequences and it certainly doesn't mean that others can't choose to stop doing business with you if they think you're affecting their public image or even if they just decide that they dislike you because of what you said.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Lilani said:
Fappy said:
He probably violated his contracted with NBC when he spoke out like that, so no, his rights weren't violated. People get fired for this sort of thing all the time. Freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequences.
Given the sudden cancellations of Honey Boo Boo and 19 Kids and Counting on TLC, and Jeremy Clarkson being fired from Top Gear, it seems there's an aspect of every TV show contract which states the network can cancel the show or fire the person at any time if they feel it is a threat to their brand name or reputation. Which totally makes sense--it could mean disaster for them if they're contractually obligated to stick with the person if they have some kind of meltdown. And as you said, freedom of speech is not the same as freedom of consequences from your speech. NBC isn't saying Trump can't say what he wants, they're simply saying they refuse to do business with him due to what he said. And it is within their rights to not do business with him for that reason--speech is not protected against such discrimination.
To be pedantic Jeremy Clarkson was not fired, he did not need to be, as his contact was up for renewal they could just let it lapse. That said clauses that allow one party to cancel on serious misconduct by the other are Farley standard across multiple industries.

Nov 28, 2007
Petromir said:
Lilani said:
Fappy said:
He probably violated his contracted with NBC when he spoke out like that, so no, his rights weren't violated. People get fired for this sort of thing all the time. Freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequences.
Given the sudden cancellations of Honey Boo Boo and 19 Kids and Counting on TLC, and Jeremy Clarkson being fired from Top Gear, it seems there's an aspect of every TV show contract which states the network can cancel the show or fire the person at any time if they feel it is a threat to their brand name or reputation. Which totally makes sense--it could mean disaster for them if they're contractually obligated to stick with the person if they have some kind of meltdown. And as you said, freedom of speech is not the same as freedom of consequences from your speech. NBC isn't saying Trump can't say what he wants, they're simply saying they refuse to do business with him due to what he said. And it is within their rights to not do business with him for that reason--speech is not protected against such discrimination.
To be pedantic Jeremy Clarkson was not fired, he did not need to be, as his contact was up for renewal they could just let it lapse. That said clauses that allow one party to cancel on serious misconduct by the other are Farley standard across multiple industries.
Were they inspired by "Saturday Night Live"? :p

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dynast Brass said:
FalloutJack said:
Dynast Brass said:
American children should be forced to memorize their Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Do it to Trump first. Set a good example by educating our nation's idiots.
I have too much respect for America to believe that he represents it in any way. In any case, idiots (especially those with serious personality defects like Trump) are often beyond saving. Let the idiots be idiots, and let everyone else be armed with knowledge.
The problem I have is that I feel there may be too many who are inclined towards severe DUH moments. It bothers me, sometimes.

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
dethyodel said:
lax4life said:
Does this mean that his presidential run isn't another marketing gimmick this time?
Everything Donald Trump does is a marketing gimmick. Possibly Definitely including being fired from NBC. See how well it works? We're discussing him right now.
'xcept everyone views him as an absolute joke.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
In other news, Macy's has dropped his line of menswear clothing. Man, by the time he realizes he's got no chance of the GOP even considering him as a nominee, he's going to have to start exercising his marketing muscles again.