NCAA/EA Split Not Enough for "Exploited" Students

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
NCAA and most schools are non-profit. The money they receive goes into the schools and programs of the NCAA. That is thousands of other scholarships besides football, including academic, and money for other sports that do not make a profit.

How many scholarships, sports programs, academic programs, or university resources would be lost without this money?

To say the NCAA is making "billions" is an outright lie.
To say that Football takes away from academics is an outright lie.

But would also be a lie to say to say that college athletes are properly compensated.

There are companies that are wrongly making money off these athletes.

There is no easy solution in this. The bylaws of the NCAA were draft before college sports became a billion dollar industry, to keep a fair and mostly uncorrupted system for recruiting, training, and playing of the sports. For the most part these bylaws have worked.

NCAA is making progress, transitioning from Bowl games to Playoffs in 2014, so sponsors have less influence on the picking of teams.

I believe in time they will start releasing more money to players than just scholarships, but it has to be done correctly.

Article:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Answers/Nine+points+to+consider_one

Article:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/answers/eye+on+the+money
(Also check out the Financial Report, The NCAA publishes one every school year)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Marak Daga said:
Jesus christ. Yanks will sue over anything eh?

"how dare they use my likeness" get over yourself
Well blimey tea and crumpets mate, you'd really be ok with an organization selling your likeness and getting nothing in return?
If by my likeness you mean a player model of roughly similar skin tone named "RB 08" id be fine with it. Its not like their likeness is being used in a donkey show. These guys are getting a free education worth tens of thousands. Im sure there is some exploitation there but every big organisation exploits its work force. No one was forced to accept a scholarship. They could always pay to go to college like the majority of their peers.

And most americans would lose their minds were they to try crumpets. They're the king of sundries.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
bjj hero said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Marak Daga said:
Jesus christ. Yanks will sue over anything eh?

"how dare they use my likeness" get over yourself
Well blimey tea and crumpets mate, you'd really be ok with an organization selling your likeness and getting nothing in return?
If by my likeness you mean a player model of roughly similar skin tone named "RB 08" id be fine with it. Its not like their likeness is being used in a donkey show. These guys are getting a free education worth tens of thousands. Im sure there is some exploitation there but every big organisation exploits its work force. No one was forced to accept a scholarship. They could always pay to go to college like the majority of their peers.

And most americans would lose their minds were they to try crumpets. They're the king of sundries.
Free education?

That's a lie. You aren't guaranteed for more than a year, and most of the time you are sharing your scholarship with your team.

10,000$ scholarship? a team of 4 turns that into 2,500 per person. A football team of 20 turns that into 500$ per person. Its a common tactic to cut down on costs. Not only that, but any injury can get you kicked off the team and lose your money.

And to boot, once its gone it is gone.

Actual athletic scholarships are only for the incredibly lucky few to get free rides, the 99% get jack shit. You'd have be lucky enough to win the lottery to get a free ride, even luckier to get into the NFL.
All the same its financial assistance, they are not forced to take it, most people play sport for "free". Theyre getting money towards their education to do something they would probably do in their own time anyway. I actually pay money to take part in the sports i enjoy, i find it hard to see these guys as hard done to.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Heaven said:
It's not so much the visual likenesses they are suing for so much as it is the skill likenesses. It's largely established that the player ratings are set to resemble the skillsets of players on the actual teams, and when you combine it with the numbers and classes, it's pretty obvious that 97 overall #2 redshirt sophomore Texas A&M QB is supposed to be Johnny Manziel, for example.
But when I was playing as Jordan Jefferson (LSU alum here) I was capable of throwing the ball to someone other than the first read and not tucking and running. Those skills are entirely fictional!