NCsoft Shuts Down City of Heroes

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
6 year City of Vet here.

yes, i am kinda pissed about the half assed reasoning given

and no, I'm not going near another IP of there's after Nov 30th.

my loyalty is to the game, not the company

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Trilliandi said:
I pre-ordered DC Universe Online before it came out because for years I'd wanted to play CoH but never had a computer strong enough to handle it. I kept saying 'Someday, eventually...' but looks like that's not gonna happen anymore.
DCUO for PS3? Because otherwise that would just be weird...

Superbun said:
Meh, I've been a subscriber to Champions Online for over 800 days, I went and played a little bit of CoH/V a while ago, didn't really see what the fuss was about, the combat was dull and the character creator had less options than the Champions Online. I Pre-Ordered DCUO when that came out, which was a big disappointment, it had the action-y combat which I guess was pretty cool, but the all important social aspect really wasn't there.

I've dabbled in a few MMOs, (WoW, EvE etc.) but the only one I've stuck with long enough to get a character to max level and that I keep coming back to is Champions.
Yeah, I couldn't get into CoX either, and I only finally decided to pick it up after people in MC Zone had been praising it... I've still got no idea what the appeal was there, except that you did have more flexibility as a non-paying player, but I've got an LTS in CO, so it just felt meh...

The things that struck me about CoX was that it had incredibly poor monitization, and, as shallow as it may sound it looked terrible. It reminded me of all that MMO gaming I didn't do ten years ago. Though, CO probably spoiled me for MMO combat...

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I will be pissed if they shut down GW. The one thing I love about the game is the fact that it's there when I want it.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Damn, that's too bad. Had some good times in that game while I played it for a couple years. Remember doing the raids and stuff with my Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster. Goodbye, Redshift.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Can they just somehow merge City of Heroes, City of Villains, and Champions Online? Please?

I always wanted to try City of Heroes. I know a TON of people on it. I imagine they won't be happy with this news.

I'm worried now about other NC Soft MMOs. Lineage II, Aion, even Guild Wars 1... how safe are those servers?

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
What the hell!!

I just started playing CoH three weeks ago and NOW they're shuttting it down?!? I was just starting to get enjoy the game!

[youtube=y0MKLnTqjLM

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
Damn. Just when I was about to give this game a second chance. Didn't get much into it the first time because I had some serious trouble with the installation and then I lost the character I had created.

This is one of the reasons I prefer not to get invested in MMOs. It's a Damocles sword in every one of these games.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
infinity_turtles said:
And there goes one of the best pet classes in any game ever.
Oh yeah, I had a ninja mastermind and it was awesome.

CoV was the first MMO I ever played, and it's interesting to see other people in this thread that holds true for as well.

Slizergiy

Feb 3, 2010
Darn. That's a real shame. CoH was the very first MMO I ever played. I'm going to miss it and my insane dodging secondary power set.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
You know how I found out about this?

By going to the CoH site just now because I thought checking it out would be interesting.

Damn.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I've been playing City of Heroes on and off for years, I was currently in an 'off' period, but was about to go back to it. It's the only MMO that I've played to max level and I am saddened by its loss.

My only hope is that this may free up room for a new Super Hero MMO to take its place, it was looking dated.

I'm going to be going back on to try to get some screen shots of all my Heroes and Villains before the end.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Trishbot said:
Can they just somehow merge City of Heroes, City of Villains, and Champions Online? Please?
Well, City of Heroes and Villians were always merged... CO... yeah, I don't think that's actually possible. I do think CO would seriously benefit from adding a Villain faction, but other than that...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, this is one of the reasons I've long argued that in this increasingly online and digital age that consumers need legal protection of their online assets and time investment, especially as the cash shop model becomes more popular and people invest in virtual property that could be lost due to things like this.

I find it especially troubling that a number of the MMOs like SWG and CoH apparently were making a profit, but the actualy desician was made based on the degree to which they were making a profit, the actual loss of revenues never having been a factor.

Now before someone goes off about companies needing to make money and so on, I do understand that, but again there are issues involved when they sell property online. Whether legally covered by things like an EULA or whatever right now, they shouldn't be, if one sell virtual goods a company should not be able to say "well we're closing this product down for business reasons" while continueing to operate.

As I've said before. I think lawmakers should require digitally based companies to reinforce their products with actual, tangible, assets. Basically, to open an MMO, especially one with a cash shop system, the company should be required to establish a trust sufficient to ensure the perpetual maitnence and operation of game servers, that way if the company goes out of business or whatever, the continued survival of the game and virtual property is assured. A trust fund is basically a huge pile of money that accruse interest, allowing only that interest to be withdrawn, ensuring constant financing. This is how the wealthy in many cases provide for their irresponsible children, to try and ensure they will always have some revenue, the same can be done to reinforce properties and business interests. It's not without it's flaws, but the point is that similar things should be done to ensure things like happened with CoH and CoH simply do not occur, and ensure the eteranl prescence of your propery from companies like STEAM. Not to mention it also means your going to have some very stable jobs provided for by the trust.

I'm kind of forecasting an apocolypse of sorts, Funcom's games are performing below expectations, and the company seems to want to re-invent itself, SoE and NCSoft have shown an incredible willingness to chop games, and pretty much every MMO out there with rare exception has been selling virtual property rather than running on a straight subscription model. I expect a lot of games to be closing simply due to not making enough of a profit to satisfy the greedy gluttons running the show. I'm sort of hoping that lawmakers will step in before this happens, but I doubt it will occur, chances are if I'm right and we see a lot of MMOs fall like dominos over a fairly short period of time that might inspire action though, but until that happens and we see the rage, it probably won't occur. What's more such protections will probably be put into effect at a time when few will be interested in developing such games.