NDAA bill signed... and no one seems to care.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
brainslurper said:
Pierce Graham said:
So the only thing they're not allowed to do is detain you. That still leaves assassinating and torture without needing evidence.
I challenge you to torture someone without detaining them.
I think that's called trolling.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Aidinthel said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Under 1031:
"(d) CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION ON APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES PERSONS.
?The authority to detain a person under this section does not extend to the
detention of citizens or lawful resident aliens of the United
States on the basis of conduct taking place within the
United States except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States."
The bill as shown on GovTrack (which it says is the final version) doesn't have this part.

It does have this, though:
Sec. 1021
"(e) Authorities- Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."

Which basically means the military is only legally allowed to hold people indefinitely without trial as long as they're not American. Lovely.
...So they now have the power to arrest people outside of the US and hold them without trial. Isn't that more of a matter for international law than for American law, or am I misreading it totally?

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Uh...America. I love you. I really do. Despite the fact that you're being governed by a bunch of morons and your population could be best equated with a bunch of fat brainless blobs (stereotype, etc, not intended to insult anyone), I still love you. I don't know why. You seem to be kind of fucked at the moment. But there's just that magic in you that I don't see anywhere else (watch the GTA V trailer, the protagonist apparently also seems to have the same problem I do). But America...WHAT THE FUCK? Why do you keep doing this? Are you deliberately trying to repel my affections?

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:
If we did try a massive protest, what's stopping the US government from hiring a private military and having them gun everyone down?
Is that likely? This isn't Libya, the U.S Government isn't going to begin mass murder of its own population.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Ralen-Sharr said:
brainslurper said:
Pierce Graham said:
So the only thing they're not allowed to do is detain you. That still leaves assassinating and torture without needing evidence.
I think that's called trolling.
I tried waterboarding someone as they walked down the street, but they ran away.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
wintercoat said:
brainslurper said:
Pierce Graham said:
Psychological torture doesn't require detention.
You could just walk away from the computer...

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
ICantBelieveItGoesBoom said:
Another example of how the 'land of the free' has the least freedom of most developed nations for its citizens.
Wait a second, the passing of a law that in no way affects US citizens is an example of how the 'land of the free' has the least freedom of most developed nations for its citizens?

MrLlamaLlama

Mar 3, 2011
I genuinely think that in this day and age the Political powers of Nations such as the US, UK and alot of the western world would be more scared of negative press than of someone being a potential terrorist. They can't be held accountable for someone being a terrorist, but they can be held accountable for killing / imprisoning / torturing someone.

And this is why you're being paranoid. Come at me Obama.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Being in Canada this is pretty worrying to me as the rest of the world sort of follows suit with the USA, seeing it as a testing grounds on how far they can push the envelope. I'm sure my country is going to try this shit soon. also this is relevant:
What I hate most about this is that the without proof or trial part means that the suspect of terrorism part never comes into play simply because they never have to validate that you are suspect of terrorism.

Jan 11, 2009
brainslurper said:
ICantBelieveItGoesBoom said:
Another example of how the 'land of the free' has the least freedom of most developed nations for its citizens.
Wait a second, the passing of a law that in no way affects US citizens is an example of how the 'land of the free' has the least freedom of most developed nations for its citizens?
No, the passing of a law that allows detainment, torture and assassination of anyone who the government 'suspects' of terrorism is. Also, for the record, while there is one section of the bill that claims that it won't change the law about detainment of US citizens, many more sections claim that it does change it so it is effectively just trying to make the bill more passable.

Read this for more information http://www.naturalnews.com/034538_NDAA_American_citizens_indefinite_detainment.html

Epidemiix

Custom Title Yay!
Jan 3, 2012
If I remember (please do not quote me on this I have the worst memory) this is a bill that is passed almost every single year recently in order for the defense of the nation. (against dem terrorists and what not :p) The big thing this year though was that the bill had a different part to it then what the other ones did. That part was "applies to U.S. citizens". Now i maybe be wrong and way off target but i thought that i would offer what i had read a while ago on this topic. :D

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
I care because it's a slippery slope towards a police state. I would be fine with a lot less government control. Power corrupts, and the more power one has, the faster the corruption.