Near Miss

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
That seems to be the reviewer consensus, then. "It's good--but Pixar is better than this." And usually implications of the corrupting influence of the House of Mouse.

But there is a dearth of good mother-daughter relationship movies. What's the last film that had one of those as its central plot? Freaky Friday?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Well, it really IS a good cartoon, which has a lot of funny moments. And Merida herself is really likeable both from the inside and outside. Wild and good-hearted tomboy with fire-red curly hair? Yes, please.
Plus, I personally give this cartoon a few bonus points for giving her "I do, what I truly, with my heart, wish for, I'll marry the one I love when I want" instead of "I don't need anyone, nor princes, nor parents, I can do all on my own" attitude.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I lost some interest when I read that the director had been switched (because the films production had got bogged down) from a middle aged woman who wanted to make a Pixar movie for girls to a middle aged man who speaks in a fake Scottish accent & challenges people to swordfights. Think I'll still see it, though, & perhaps going in not expecting an A+ Pixar film might improve my enjoyment.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Nuts, I was hoping this would shape up to be my favourite Pixar film. I just finished reading a book with a similar 'contemporary revision of old myths/tales' theme (Orphan's Tales if anyone is curious) so it's a shame that the plot is shakier than it otherwise could be. That being said, I still do plan to watch in cinemas when I get the chance - which is a rare thing for me to want to do.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I saw the midnight release of this, and I've got to say, as much as your right Bob, i just do not care about any of the issues with the movie... I thoroughly enjoyed it and if i had the money would probably see it again. As is I'll wait for dvd.

Secondly, I think mention should be made of the "la Luna" skit that came on before the movie opening... still amazes me that pixar can, in the span of maybe five minutes, tell a better story about Finding Yourself, Passing on the Torch, Ingenuity, and the Bond Between Generations than most full length films or books.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
Well that's a bit disheartening, still a good movie but not going to replace Up as my favorite Pixar. But still can't wait to see it this weekend.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You know, I wasn't all that interested in seeing Brave, but I wanted to see it simply because it's a Pixar movie and this is their first movie with a female protagonist. I'll still see it, but it's kind of disheartening to see it get a luke-warm reception.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
While it's always disappointing to hear something like this, I can't say I didn't see it coming. When Braves first proper trailer came along, I found myself feeling that it was a bit schizophrenic. It just couldn't seem to decide what kind of movie Brave was. I was kinda put off by it, but figured that it didn't matter much as I'd go catch it anyway.

From what you've said though, it would sadly seem the trailer was a good representation of the final film. Though I guess I'll find out myself when Brave finally releases over the Atlantic, which in true Pixar timescales, won't be for a few months.

Seriously, Pixar take forever to localise their films.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Between this, the totally unnecessary and likely underwhelming Monsters University, and rumours of a Toy Story 4 (why, just why?), I see a concerning trend appearing within Pixar. Could it be that after so many years of consistently rising above the 'funny, but mediocre' status of most animated children's flicks, they are now starting to lose their edge?

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I remember when I first started hearing about this that it was going to be a real serious action movie. Like really serious for pixar. But once the real trailers came out it looked. Underwhelming. Meanwhile. Dreamwork's new movie Rise of the guardians. Looks amazing and it's the classic dreamworks move of making a simple premise and executing it nicely. This time instead of comedy they went for badassery.

Given that after this brave movie we are going to get the monsters inc prequel which is just going to be a highschool best friends from different social structures cliche that's way to overwrought and unnecessary. I dunno. I think it's time to jump ship on pixar.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
I was immensely disappointed when I heard Pixar was making a film titled "Brave" that did not involve Symmetrical Docking.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
Wait... takes too long to get to the main point of the story and an excessively large cast of one-note characters? Am I crazy or are these are the same recurring issues that pop up in a great deal of classic era (like, Snow White to Jungle Book) Disney films?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
And this is really why you don't boot super-important people who were the driving force behind the conception of films from the project mid-production for reasons like "the production is going too slow." The seams of the transition will always show.

To quote one of Pixar's own characters: "You can't rush art."

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
GamerLuck said:
Secondly, I think mention should be made of the "la Luna" skit that came on before the movie opening... still amazes me that pixar can, in the span of maybe five minutes, tell a better story about Finding Yourself, Passing on the Torch, Ingenuity, and the Bond Between Generations than most full length films or books.
Don't you think that's problematic, though? A similar thing happened with Up and after an opening that had some people in tears, there was this whole movie to go that for many, didn't quite live up to that opening sequence.

I haven't seen the movie but I do understand pacing and if you front load things too much, how can there be a proper emotional payoff?

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Smokescreen said:
GamerLuck said:
Don't you think that's problematic, though? A similar thing happened with Up and after an opening that had some people in tears, there was this whole movie to go that for many, didn't quite live up to that opening sequence.

I haven't seen the movie but I do understand pacing and if you front load things too much, how can there be a proper emotional payoff?
"la Luna" was completely separate from Brave though. Was just one of the shorts they put before the movie, similar to "Night and Day" and "Birds on a Wire"

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Well, worry not Bob. If anything I'm more inclined to see the movie now than I was before (that is, a slight possibility instead of a definite NO).

Besides, it's Pixar. If they weren't connected to Disney I'd watch their movies on principle alone. It doesn't matter what "branch" of Pixar it is.