Necro...errr Retro Gaming

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
So here I am, new member, avatar all uploaded and reading discussion on the latest games and potential games that may be coming out in the future and it got me to thinking. I'm not a big player of newer games. My 360 is barely used, so what do I play? What makes me come here to talk about the games I do play. Retro games, or even long dead games. One of my staples is Freelancer love the game and frankly no decent space shooter has come out since. But I'm also partial to a little old school RTSing and RPGing. Currently replaying the Fallout games during bouts when I'm not playing Multiplayer Freelancer.

So my question for discussion here is what old games do you folks play? Which games make you put away the fancy graphics for a more simpler time when everything had some actual colour other than dingy brown?

No Poll as I find them redundant, only folks who find the topic title interesting will click anyway, and I'd hope you folks would post.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
I own (and still play on occasion) an old copy of Stonekeep. It's an awesome game.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
The Prince of Persia series just because.
Fallout 1 + 2
Starcraft, I really like but I don't see why it's Koreas national sport.

Birdman1604

Sep 3, 2009
I'm playing my NES and SNES a bit lately. Specifically I'm playing Donkey Kong and Chrono Trigger on the SNES and Castlevania 1 & 3, Ninja Gaiden 2 and Double Dragon 2 on the NES.
Maybe I'll bust out my Kirby's Adventure game too.

Silent_marauder

May 11, 2008
Well like a month ago I brought up my old windows 95 beast and put in my old dos games. Like red alert, warcraft II, I can still enjoy old games as I grew up on them and twas a great blast of nostalgia. I had a unique view on the fallouts as I played the new one first then played both fallout 1 and 2. The older ones were a lot harder, and I found more believable and more immersive and generally more fun. Although the one game I've found that has stuck with me the most is "Heroes III of might and magic" that turn based game kept me in front of the monitor for countless hours as a kid, and even today.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
S.R.S. said:
The Prince of Persia series just because.
Fallout 1 + 2
Starcraft, I really like but I don't see why it's Koreas national sport.
That's more or less me.

Just include Legacy of Kain Blood Omen.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Holy crap.

Two Akus.

*dies from evil overdose*

OT: I play my old copy of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie regularly. I can't help it. The games are that good.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Not pictured: NES, Neo Geo Pocket color, GBASP, GameGear, PSOne+LCD

Classic games are awesome, honestly what JRPG recently has come out that people go "hell yeah I know it!". That's right, none, Breath of Fire 3? Final Fantasy Tactics, V, VI, VII? Parasite Eve 1 and 2? Legend of Dragoon? Phantasy Star II, IV? Shining Force 1 and 2?!

ThatPurpleGuy

Feb 4, 2010
If you have 360 there are a ton of great games on XBLA..Games like Geometry Wars have that classic feel about them but are modernized for now and to work with the controls..I get all nostalgic sometimes and try and play old Pac-Man or Galaga but by todays standards they just aren't any fun (to me anyway). I would love to see alot of old games get a Pac-Man C.E style makeover, where the gameplay is just updated rather than completely changed. Galaga and Space Invaders tryed this but failed imo. They just went to far away from the original game mechanic unlike Pac-Man CE.

I remember picking up the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection a while ago, looking forward to playing Alex Kidd again as I pumped so many hours into this game as a kid. Man this game was TERRIBLE!! I don't know how I used to play it but I loved it at the time.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Snotnarok said:

Classic games are awesome, honestly what JRPG recently has come out that people go "hell yeah I know it!". That's right, none, Breath of Fire 3? Final Fantasy Tactics, V, VI, VII? Parasite Eve 1 and 2? Legend of Dragoon? Phantasy Star II, IV? Shining Force 1 and 2?!
You forgot Earthbound, but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have a copy. Also, Mario RPG.
Pretty much any SNES game.
Incidentally I went back and played some old Megaman games recently. As it turns out, those games really don't stand the test of time that well. Unfortunate.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Snotnarok said:

Amen brother. Now that's a lot of consoles.

No truly epic JRPG's have been released for a good long time. FFXII has probably been the best of the pack released since VII. As for one of your selections Legend of Dragon had the ridiculously short sword, yes? The one that looked a little obscene when viewed from the wrong angle?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
j0frenzy said:
Snotnarok said:

You forgot Earthbound, but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have a copy. Also, Mario RPG.
Incidentally I went back and played some old Megaman games recently. As it turns out, those games really don't stand the test of time that well. Unfortunate.
I tried to list games that I actually had, I didn't want to take bias sides but I guess I kinda did eh?

David Wilkins said:
Snotnarok said:

Amen brother. Now that's a lot of consoles.

No truly epic JRPG's have been released for a good long time. FFXII has probably been the best of the pack released since VII. As for one of your selections Legend of Dragon had the ridiculously short sword, yes? The one that looked a little obscene when viewed from the wrong angle?
I think you got the wrong game, Legend of Dragoon was the nice looking Sony game with the guy in red leather armor.

Maybe it's just me, but I've had no luck with any JRPGs lately besides Disgaea. They've all been lacking or trying so hard to be different it just puts me off.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Snotnarok said:
j0frenzy said:
Snotnarok said:

I tried to list games that I actually had, I didn't want to take bias sides but I guess I kinda did eh?
If it is Earthbound that you haven't played, then I would not be surprised, but might recommend you find a way to play it. If it is Mario RPG, go download it from Wii Ware. It is worth the money.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Commander Keen ftw. I also need to play The Neverhood and FF6 again. I was a PC gamer back in the day, so back at my house there's a whole pile of ancient Sierra and EA games I need to Dosbox and play again. As I recall, Red Baron, Aces over Europe and Aegis, Guardian of the Fleet were all boss.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
j0frenzy said:
Snotnarok said:
j0frenzy said:
Snotnarok said:

If it is Earthbound that you haven't played, then I would not be surprised, but might recommend you find a way to play it. If it is Mario RPG, go download it from Wii Ware. It is worth the money.
I'm not a fan of Earthbound/Mother Mario RPG was pretty nice but I don't own them *shifty eyes* I just yarrrr matey borrowed them back in the day.

MBergman

Oct 21, 2009
I digged up Baldur's Gate 2 a little while back, and it still holds up as the best game I've ever played! Go for the eyes Boo!

I also replayed Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, it's a real shame that the developer (Troika Games) is no more because this game really sucks (hehe) you in and doesn't let go til it has had all of your blood, or time.