Need a good RPG for the PS4

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I'm having an itch to play an open world game on my PS4, so my wife can spectate. But browsing the list didn't really hit with any good gems that stuck out as interesting.

Any suggestions on some good games? Preferably something open world, and while RPG is nice, it can technically be action as well. So like, Horizon ZD is action not rpg, but it's got leveling and stuff.

So, ones I currently have, to minimize redundancy

Horizon: ZD
Red Dead Right Said Fredemption 2
Final Fantasy 15
Dad of War: God Edition

Pretty sure I've got some others, but those are the ones that pop to mind.

So, any suggestions?

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So I'm having an itch to play an open world game on my PS4, so my wife can spectate. But browsing the list didn't really hit with any good gems that stuck out as interesting.

Any suggestions on some good games? Preferably something open world, and while RPG is nice, it can technically be action as well. So like, Horizon ZD is action not rpg, but it's got leveling and stuff.

Final Fantasy 15

So, any suggestions?
I was curious myself and went to

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/category/48-role-playing

9 pages! Reviewing to see if there is anything to jump on that I don't have.
Got the 4 you mention.
Also got Dragon Age Inquisition too.

EDIT Some I either have or sound interesting in this 9 pages:
Diablo III
Divinity Original Sin II ! I thought this PC only.
Kingdom Hearts III
Monster Hunter
Outer Worlds: Fallout 4 in space w/o the VATS system. I"m liking it.
Persona 5
Star Ocean
Tales of Vesperia
Trials of Mana
Valkyrie Chronicles
Witcher

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Final Fantasy 15

So, any suggestions?
Nier: Automata. It's got multiple endings, so your wife will be spectating a lot.

Indivisible - Not a fan, but it's a short RPG. Still longer than a lot of games though.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You didn't really specify much beyond rpg and can include action, so here's what I would recommend out of games I've played

Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition (PS4 version only releases in december tho)
Divinity Original Sin 2
The Witcher 3
NieR Automata
Persona 5 Royal
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition
Crosscode
Yakuza 0

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Final Fantasy 15

So, any suggestions?
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Persona 5 Royal
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Persona 5 Royal and Dragon Quest 11 are the best Jrpgs in a long time. You can't go wrong with either of em.

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Tales of Berseria
Legend of heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Ni No Kuni 1 and 2

I'll also second the recommendations for Witcher and Nier.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I don't know if it's really open world, but Bloodborne definitely fits being a proper RPG nevertheless.

Persona 5/Royal are extremely good, though again they're relatively linear-but-with-options.

Nier Automata is less RPG and more action, but it has enough RPG elements to fit your description.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Have you played Final Fantasy XII before? The remaster looks a little wonky in places (a good deal of PS2 era smearing is intact), but it's still a good demonstration of how to make a game that's mostly made up of shades of brown and still looks attractive. Story's about what you'd expect from an FF game, and leans fairly traditional for a 3D FF. Combat's an idiosyncratic mix of real time and turn based, but I think it works rather well, and the job system is much deeper than those normally found in FF games.

Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't know if it's really open world, but Bloodborne definitely fits being a proper RPG nevertheless.

Persona 5/Royal are extremely good, though again they're relatively linear-but-with-options.

Nier Automata is less RPG and more action, but it has enough RPG elements to fit your description.

Seconded Bloodborne. It’s action and RPG, so covers both bases. But at the same time it does share very similar DNA with the Souls games, which IIRC didn’t sit well with OP. The main difference is more of a focus on aggressive offense and trading shield-based gameplay for a gun parry system. But if you don’t like the menu design, lock-on, general navigational mechanics, cryptic story elements and level design, etc. of Souls then you won’t like it here either.

Which is a bit of a shame because the game is rather outstanding by any metric, all things considered.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon