Need a Mariana Trench-deep RPG to play

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
I'm looking for recommendations from you guys for a new (not necessarily in the chronological sense) RPG for me to play. I need a new game that will really absorb me, one with heavy personal customisation, a large world and so on. I'd rather it be in a medieval setting but I'd consider others. PC or 360.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Theres the tons of older RPGs such as the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale series, plus Arcanum, Neverwinters Night and Planescape: Torment. Then theres the REALLY old RPGs such as Darkland and the Ultima Series.

If you want some newer RPGs, theres Oblivion and Morrowind (i suggest excessive patching in the latter case) and not to mention Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age series.

I'd suggest being a bit more specific when it comes to preferences, as these RPGs can differ vastly.

Michael Lorberg

Feb 14, 2010
Oblivion will easily steal 60-100 hours from you. I also recommend Return to Krondor and Skies of Arcadia: Legends, which is quite easily my favorite game of all time. The latter is, however, Dreamcast and Gamecube only, unfortunately.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Have to mention Daggerfall.

The whole point of that game is to give the player an infinite supply of things to do. Literally. The main quest is nothing unusual, but sidequests are generated randomly, so you can keep playing it forever.

Character customization options are incredible for its time (1996) and the game world is about the size of Great Britain. You NEED to have tried Daggerfall once.

EDIT: Oh yeah, have a look at this!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.258867-Lets-Play-The-Elder-Scrolls-II-Daggerfall-Round-Twelve#9751191

EDIT 2: Also, I just remembered that the game has been made available from Bethesda's web page for free (AND legal) download!

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
I have this PS2 title called "Rogue Galaxy". I haven't spent a whole lot of time on it, but it seems rather in depth and has some pretty challenging combat for being so early into the game.

I haven't played it for months though.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Hrm, first thing that would come to mind is definitely Ultima as that definitely fits more than a few of your needs, though I wouldn't be surprised if you've already beaten the series more than a few times though. Daggerfall is another thought, though the same applies as above.

I'd second the Darklands mention (note: released in '92), and also say give Divine Divinity a shot. It comes off as a Diablo clone at first, but it's deeper than you'd think once you get past that. DD's also pretty cheap at GOG.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
Well, what games did you already play? That would help us give recommendations :)

Also, while not a RPG in the strictest sense, maybe something like Mount & Blade? It does not have a grand story, looks dated and is not easy to get into, but it has a deep customization and a really big, living changing world. The RPG aspect would be more living as your character inside the world instead of experiencing a specific, epic story, but it would fit the medieval mood as well as all the other criteria you mentioned.

It is not for everyone, but the world experience is incredibly deep because you can handle so many aspects of the world in the game including large scale diplomacy and mass combat and it has a vibrant community with a lot of mods as well.

Best of all, you can check the demo, which is not time- but level-limited from here and see if it fits what you want:

Taleworlds Homepage (Developer of Mount & Blade) [http://www.taleworlds.com/]