Need input on my prospective custom PC build

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
So, I've never built my own computer before, only swapped parts on a number of my computers, but I've been really meaning to build one for a looong time, and now I'm taking initiative! I don't have any money at the moment, so really, it's wishful thinking at the moment, but humor me, k?

So, hear are the parts:
GPU - ASUS ENGTX550 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121434]
PSU - Thermaltake 800W [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153130]
Sound card - OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001]
Case - Centurion 5 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077]
MoBo - GIGABYTE AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519]
CPU - Intel i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz Quad-Core [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211]
Internet - Rosewill RNX-G300EX Wireless Card [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166020]

Also, 1TB Cavier black, slick mouse and key, blu-ray drive (might conflict with MoBo), 2x2GB RAM, Logitech 2speak/1sub, and 2 20" monitors; don't think links for those are super necessary.

So, can any computer-literate users give me some pointers? Any components not too good, better stuff out there? Items conflicting with each other? I really don't know, so, any and all advice, I appreciate.

It's also coming out to 11 dollars shy of $1,500, so I think that's pretty darned good.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
The GPU could use an upgrade. 560TI is what I'd recommend at least. I have a 570 and plan on getting another at some point to SLI. EVGA is a good brand to check out.

Powersupply is a good amount, I've always been a fan of Corsair for PSU though, can't say anything about Thermaltake.

Unless you *really* like sound, a card isn't needed these days as good HD audio is right on most mobos, mine is Dolby Surround Sound 7.1 capable. That'd save you some money to put towards something else. This leads into the next part:

You're buying a motherboard that is geared towards AMD processors, but getting an Intel CPU. Gigabyte was a good choice though, they are priced good and work just as well. Here's one. [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502]

I don't know what you plan on doing with this computer, but if it's strictly for gaming an i7 is pretty beefy and not even necessary at this moment. If you want to future proof your computer for a few extra years then it'll be good, but for now an i5 2500k would be just as good and about $100 cheaper. Also, I recommend Sandy Bridge over any other brand they are great and have good heatsinks that come with the CPU. Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072] or Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070].

Cases are up to the user, just make sure it has a good amount of space and a lot of fans to keep good airflow and you'll be fine.

Caviar Black is a good HD, a bit loud when loading, but a good one.

I would upgrade your RAM to 6 or 8, assuming you are going to be using Windows 7 that'll take up about 2GB of RAM on it's own. For that matter, make sure you're using a 64-bit version of Windows 7 so that you can utilize all of that RAM. I personally have 8GB. G.SKILL RAM I use. [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314]

I'd recommend wired internet if possible just because it is more stable than wireless, other than that I can't add anything to that as I haven't really used wireless on my desktop.

As for the Blu-Ray, I can't imagine mobo issues with it; it likely uses the same plugs as any CD player and such.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Many flaws in that build im afraid...

in no particular order:

gtx550 is a relatively weak gpu, recomended minimum for a gaming rig would be a GTX 560Ti
Motherboard and cpu are not compatable
cpu is the older type socket 1366 i7 that is about to be phased out in favor of socket 2011
800w is massively overkill for the system
Case is lacking in features and have por airflow

System as i would currently build it:

Platform should be socket 1155 (aka sandy bridge)

CPU: Intel i5 2500K (then overclock to 4,5ghz)
CPU cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212
Mobo: ASrock Z68 extreme 3 gen3
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 2x4GB PC3-12800
GFX: Asus GTX 560Ti direct CUII
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX

You should also consider an SSD drive, they ad alot of perfomance.
SSD: Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 (128gb models)

+ some storage disk + optical drive

why this setup? well...

2500K is realy good value for money, and it overclocks extreamly well and easily.
Hyper 212 cheap, but performance close to top of the range models
Z68 extreme3 gen3. high quality, many features, realy good value. best upgradeability of any current platform, as it supports next generation intel cpus (ivy bridge) and PCI- 3.0 GFX cards.
Vengeance only use 1.5v rather then the obvious alternative (kingston hyperX) that uses 1,65v
560Ti best value for money, scales REALY REALY well in SLI, if you want to upgrade
AX750 super super high quality, enough power for 560Ti SLI + system wide Overclock. completely modular.
Storm scout, good value for money. many other alternatives at the price point tho...
Xonar DX sound quality that can compete with much more expensive cards, and enough features...
M4 or 830 cuz all the sandforce based SSD drives have stability issues

Dhael

Nov 29, 2008
Buy a Hydro cooling system to keep you CPU cold http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015
You will need it because a custom rig always runs much hotter than a prebuilt one due to lack of engineered air flow. And the Corsair hydro is the utter best you can get without needing a compressor and lasts forever. Get the H50 if you're on a tight budget.

Fluse said:
Many flaws in that build im afraid...

in no particular order:

gtx550 is a relatively weak gpu, recomended minimum for a gaming rig would be a GTX 560Ti
Motherboard and cpu are not compatable
cpu is the older type socket 1366 i7 that is about to be phased out in favor of socket 2011
800w is massively overkill for the system
Case is lacking in features and have por airflow

System as i would currently build it:

Platform should be socket 1155 (aka sandy bridge)

CPU: Intel i5 2500K (then overclock to 4,5ghz)
CPU cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212
Mobo: ASrock Z68 extreme 3 gen3
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 2x4GB PC3-12800
GFX: Asus GTX 560Ti direct CUII
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX

You should also consider an SSD drive, they ad alot of perfomance.
SSD: Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 (128gb models)

+ some storage disk + optical drive

why this setup? well...

2500K is realy good value for money, and it overclocks extreamly well and easily.
Hyper 212 cheap, but performance close to top of the range models
Z68 extreme3 gen3. high quality, many features, realy good value. best upgradeability of any current platform, as it supports next generation intel cpus (ivy bridge) and PCI- 3.0 GFX cards.
Vengeance only use 1.5v rather then the obvious alternative (kingston hyperX) that uses 1,65v
560Ti best value for money, scales REALY REALY well in SLI, if you want to upgrade
AX750 super super high quality, enough power for 560Ti SLI + system wide Overclock. completely modular.
Storm scout, good value for money. many other alternatives at the price point tho...
Xonar DX sound quality that can compete with much more expensive cards, and enough features...
M4 or 830 cuz all the sandforce based SSD drives have stability issues
Whoa man it's clear that he's building on a budget and he's a first timer. He doesn't need to be constructing a top-tier rig quite yet. Cheap rigs are good for your first in case you fuck it up you're not out of a ton of money. I built mine for 1200 then overclocked the shit out of it to make up the difference (one of the reasons I'm an MSI fanboy is they make this almost too easy on both their Graphics cards and their Mainboards)

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I appreciate all the help guys, I had no idea the mobo I chose was an AMD, and furthermore didn't know Intel CPU's weren't compatible with them >.<Thanks a ton Scizophrenic Llama, I basically swapped out all the crap I had and replaced it with your suggestions, and now the final price is $9 less! I'm that much closer to affording this machine AND it's actually going to work xP

And thank you, Fluse, I was not aware the case I chose had poor airflow, thats a killer for me. I got suckered in by the clear plastic on the side and didn't even bother investigating it! Thanks a lot, man, I appreciate it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Dhael said:
You will need it because a custom rig always runs much hotter than a prebuilt one due to lack of engineered air flow.
Ha... HAHAHAHA... HAAAAAAA.

Seriously, most 'brand name' prebuilts have shitty cases for airflow. That or, if they use a decent case, the case is from a well known case manufacturer and you can pick it up cheaper when doing prebuilt. Plus most prebuilts skimp on fans, often only giving you the rear extraction fan.

And the Corsair hydro is the utter best you can get without needing a compressor and lasts forever. Get the H50 if you're on a tight budget.
The Antec Kuhler range is of equal performance and neither can compare to a full open loop liquid cooling system. N2 Evap pots are the best cooling you can get but have issues with condensation and thermal flex, plus they cost a bundle you use constantly.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
HassEsser said:
I was not aware the case I chose had poor airflow, thats a killer for me. I got suckered in by the clear plastic on the side and didn't even bother investigating it!
You got the right manufacturer just not the right case.

If airflow is a big issue for you get a CoolerMaster HAF series case (the HAF stands for High Air Flow) and are about the best you can get unless you've got the money to throw down on a high end Sliverstone or Lian Li case.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Bookmarking this thread for future reference, as my old rig is in dire need of some upgrades (Go go 8800 GTS! Yes, really.) so as someone else who's looking into upgrades, I'll also express my thanks to the input from other people here :p

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Amnestic said:
Bookmarking this thread for future reference, as my old rig is in dire need of some upgrades (Go go 8800 GTS! Yes, really.) so as someone else who's looking into upgrades, I'll also express my thanks to the input from other people here :p
There's always a few PC hardware enthusiasts available on the Advice forum and less likelihood of your thread falling off the first page within an hour or two.

Also, don't knock the 8800s, even the 8800 GTS. Good line of GPUs, good longevity of quality performance.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Also, don't knock the 8800s, even the 8800 GTS. Good line of GPUs, good longevity of quality performance.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 8800 GTS and I'll be sorry to see it go. It still holds up today (mostly). New Vegas and Mass Effect 2 are perfectly playable on it...but with Skyrim around the corner, I think it's about time I moved to something a bit more modern.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Dhael, the stuff i liked is not a "top tier rig", not in my world anyways...

Its a value for money build with an eye for quality, upgradeability and overclocking potential. Its also cheaper then his budget of 1500 dispite shelling out extra for a super high quality PSU.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K: $215
CPU cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212+: $25
Mobo: ASrock Z68 extreme 3 gen3: $125
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 2x4GB PC3-12800: $52
GFX: Asus GTX 560Ti direct CUII: $250
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750: $170
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout: $85
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX: $80
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3: $80
Blu-Ray RW: LG Black Super Multi WH12LS30: $80
Monitors: Acer G235HAbd 23": $150 2x = $300

Total: $1462 (all prices are from newegg.com)

now thats the parts i would buy, all of them are right on the sweet spot where you get a good compromise of quality, performance and price. But if you wanna "trim" the budget further...

CPU: Intel i5 2500K: $215
CPU cooler: use stock (the stock cooler for 1155 are surpriceingly good actualy!)
Mobo: ASrock Z68 extreme 3 gen3: $125
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 2x4GB PC3-12800: $52
GFX: Asus GTX 560Ti direct CUII: $250
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular: $90
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430: $50
Soundcard: Use the onboard on the mobo: $0
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3: $80
Blu-Ray drive / DVD-RW: SAMSUNG Black TS-HB43L/HPBHF: $60
Acer G215HVAbd Black 21.5": $110 2x = $220

Total: $1142

Going with this build, you could actualy fit a second GTX 560Ti direct CUII within the budget, then landing at $1392 which makes the second build technicaly faster then the first... the compromise is PSU quality, onboard sound isnt as good (altho many find it good enough), Case and stock cooler will be alittle bit louder then the first, with alittle less OC potential, slightly smaller monitors, cant burn blu-ray.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Dhael said:
You will need it because a custom rig always runs much hotter than a prebuilt one due to lack of engineered air flow.
Ha... HAHAHAHA... HAAAAAAA.

Seriously, most 'brand name' prebuilts have shitty cases for airflow. That or, if they use a decent case, the case is from a well known case manufacturer and you can pick it up cheaper when doing prebuilt. Plus most prebuilts skimp on fans, often only giving you the rear extraction fan.

And the Corsair hydro is the utter best you can get without needing a compressor and lasts forever. Get the H50 if you're on a tight budget.
The Antec Kuhler range is of equal performance and neither can compare to a full open loop liquid cooling system. N2 Evap pots are the best cooling you can get but have issues with condensation and thermal flex, plus they cost a bundle you use constantly.
Idd, I went from 40c idle and 70'c full load with overclocked i7 2600k (h50) and now I have 25-28'c idle and 45'c full load with even more overclock i7 2600 (with open loop watercooling) and I would advice that you buy h60/h80/h100 instead of h50.

And the airflow in most prebuilt are very bad.

@fluse, you should never use two CUII in sli since it will just pump around very hot air in the chassi

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Meh, so do most custom coolers these days Tubez...
It isnt a problem unless you use an airtight box for your system :p

Only refrence coolers exhaust _mostly_ out the rear.

Also, the 560Ti doesn't run that hot anyways...

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Fluse said:
Meh, so do most custom coolers these days Tubez...
It isnt a problem unless you use an airtight box for your system :p

Only refrence coolers exhaust _mostly_ out the rear.
The best setup is to use one custom and one reference coolers, and even ASUS recommends that you do not use two CUII in sli.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Find me a link to where Asus do not recomend useing them in SLI mate...

Seriously, it is _NOT_ a problem atall... if you have a case with good airflow.

i know people that run GTX 580 Lightning's in SLI, heavily overclocked without issue...
look up the card if you dont know what the cooler on it is like :p