Need replacement earphones, have no idea what to go for

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Hey

So I've had a few pairs of Sennheiser earphones over the past few years and every single time, one of the earphones stops working leaving me with only one. Admittedly the last pair lasted around 2 years, but I'm worried about this happening again, so I was thinking about going with a different brand. I've also seen many others complain about the same issue.

So I'm looking for a new pair with a budget of around £40-£90. I listen to a lot of instrumental math rock music, as well as a lot of indie rock, alternative Hip-Hop as well as other genres but mainly those (If that information even helps at all)

So basically I just wanted to see if any of you fine fellows had any suggestions for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Affordablequote said:
I'm sorry to bring bad news to you but at that price range, any brand will not last longer than 2 years, especially when it comes to earbuds. In fact, you will probably do worse if you change the brand.
Really? I've only ever had two pairs break ever and it was because I was in my bed, it was dark and they got caught on the cable retractor I'd retro fitted while I was pulling them out which put too much stress on the cable, and then when I did the exact same thing again because derp. Both were $15 Sony ear buds which were otherwise decent. The Sennheisers that came with my H320 in 2006 worked until I lost them and the KOSS clip on earphones I replaced them with are still working even after the foam deteriorated into nothing. Aside from my recently purchased Gear Circle and off-brand bluetooth headset I use while working (so I don't fuck up my Circle) those are all the earphones I've owned in the past 9 years so I'd be pissed if I spent £90 on some and they randomly crapped out that quickly.

OT: Sennheiser headphones have a 2 year international warranty which is pretty decent. If you otherwise like them perhaps you should just get some more and make sure to keep the receipts because these things can happen and they have to replace them within that period.

Otherwise you may want to consider a wireless alternative...no cables means no weight on the connections to the speakers or getting caught on your clothes, body, etc which ultimately leads to these problems. I'm no audiophile but my Circles sounds pretty decent (if a little lacking in the lower levels) and I haven't ran down the battery yet (advertised as 10 hour listening). I also hear good things about the LG Tones (though the skinny wires going from the unit to the ear buds make them look a bit flimsy). Obviously nothing compares to proper cans but unfortunately that isn't as practical when you're out and about.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
From my experience, ear buds/earphones with an in-line volume control are going to fail sooner than regular ones. Is that what your Sennheiser's were like? I still have two working pairs of earbuds, both Sony brand, and both costing less than $20 at a drugstore. They just won't die, probably 5+ years now, but then again I go through weird measures to ensure they don't get pulled on too harshly.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I don't think any amount of shopping around or even spending more money is going to help. I've had seinheiser, sony, skullcandy (back when they were new and cool and stuff, and my latest were jvcs. All lasted about the same amount of time, except the skullcandys which cost more and rudely snapped in half without a lot of provocation. 2 years is about all you are likely to get with regular use before the wires break from natural wear, going in an out of pockets and whatever.

The only thing you'd get from spending more is that you might remember to treat them like you spent a lot on them and that is the only reason they might last longer.