Need some advice on Dragon's Dogma.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
So basically I'm playing the game as a Warrior because fuck yeah Guts roleplay. This is non-negotiable.

However, after some reading on vocations I found out that Warrior have absolute hell dealing with Flying enemies. Such as dragons. My first encounter with the Firedrake confirms this.

So I'm considering a second vocation to rank up so when the time comes I have it to fall on.

Assassin has the best strength growth as well as the option of using bows and daggers. The Augmentations seem to me pretty lackluster.

Mystic Knight trades the bow for access to spells and more interesting augments. However the time I spend on it I get less Damage and HP when I level up.

Consider also that this is not only about the levels/DP, it's about investing in the gear and upgrades.

Any advice?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Seriously, just train them all; lets you pick and mix augmentations too. Its what I did. And always have your main pawn be a good opposite to what you are.

As far as a useful second vocation, go Magick Archer. Lock on multi-arrow is always a winner. Great ranged damage and support with the right equipment.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
The thing is, Magic Archer relies on Magic Damage, right? I don't expect getting a lot of that leveling up as a Warrior.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
I tried playing through as a warrior my first time around, but this really didn't work out when I got to the Dragon. After about fifteen tries I was never able to even come close to killing him. I starting over and played as an Assassin, and found that with a combination of some kind of speed-up ability (the name of which I forget) and Scarlet Kisses (which you can use while hanging on to monsters) I was able to finish the fight in under a minute. So yeah, I'd recommend Assassin.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
The dragon weakness isn't that big a deal. You will maybe face one drake in the mode of normal play and the actual dragon is easier then the drake because they are bigger. (Your also likey going to have 3 ranged pawns too.)

I would suggest dipping a toe into any class. A lot of abilities will cross over. Like if you don't like the assassin passives, then use the passives from your other classes. Assassin is the class I like best myself.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Alma Mare said:
The thing is, Magic Archer relies on Magic Damage, right? I don't expect getting a lot of that leveling up as a Warrior.
Yeah but Dragons Dogma is very long. You're going to max level and get bored of a single vocation very easily. Be it assassin, warrior, fighter, bright wizard, what-have-you. I maxed out over half the vocations before I even fought the dragon, and that's like the halfway point in the game!

Trust me on this; play all the vocations. You can always swap out augmentations as you need them.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Alma Mare said:
So basically I'm playing the game as a Warrior because fuck yeah Guts roleplay. This is non-negotiable.
Hell yeah *bumps chest* I'm with you. Guts and Casca for the win! (Actually, I tried to make Schierke, but that didn't go so well).

Unfortunately they forgot the all important hand cannon (heh) so I can see your trouble. I think Assasins supposed to be the big winner here, so I say try that out.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Mystic Knights get some amazing buff and that attack of theirs that puts an orb on the ground that you can smack to send homing energy bolts at the enemy is crazy powerful with an elemental effect behind it. If an enemy does something that for whatever reason you cant hit it for a while you can lay down a few close together and hit them all in one weapon swing to activate them.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
So I gave Assassin a spin and the Dagger+Bow combo is just stupid. Dodges, double jumps, parries, it's kind of insane. I think I'm sold. Until I max it out, then it's back to wacking bitches with my car-sized Thousandlimbs.

Soda Spider

Dec 15, 2014
That Assassin counter ability is crazy good, I think they actually nerfed it. It used to be able to do a huge amount of dmg

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Oh man, this is my jam. I spent hundreds of hours on DD.

Firstly, sticking with one class for the entire playthrough is only hamstringing yourself. DD is designed so that you level up one class to the max, unlock all it's skills, then move onto another. Each class has passive skills that you can use any time once they're unlocked, and can be super useful. I'm not saying you need to stay as another class forever, just until you've maxed out enough of them to go back to Warrior with a ton of new buffs and perks.

Warrior will struggle a lot with flying enemies. If you can bring yourself to part with it, or alter it slightly, there's one class that can completely destroy on the ground or air: Mystic Knight. 3 particular skills are required. The first is Weapon Enchantment. You will be able to imbue any weapon with an element (once you've unlocked them) which includes ice, fire, lightning, holy and dark. Next is Magic Cannon. It's one of the final skills you can unlock. Basically it creates a Spell Orb in front of you that lasts about 20 seconds. When you strike it, it launches 3 or so magic missiles. Last is a Warrior skill (i think) called Full Moon. It's a skill that attacks with a wide-ish slash, and then another very wide one.

Now here's the trick. You imbue your weapon with an appropriate element ie: for fire drakes, they are weak to ice. So imbue it with ice. Next make a Magic Cannon. As a perk, the magic orb actually becomes imbued with whatever element your weapon is currently imbued with. So now you have a magic orb that fires ice missiles. Lastly, you attack with the Full Moon skill, which, over the course of its motions, hits things about 8 or 9 times.

Congratulations. You have just created an Elemental Magic Machine Gun. It's possible, while performing this process, to wipe out a Fire Drake within 2 minutes or less, if all the spells hit and you do it fast enough. Be prepared for your console to slow down abit though; that much magic flying around puts a lot of stress on it.

Another option, if Magic Knight is just too different from Warrior for you:
Make your personal Pawn a Rogue. Level it up enough to acquire the Thousand Kisses dual dagger ability. Give them dual daggers imbued with the element you need (Ice against Fire Drake etc.)
Now when you're fighting a dragon, all you need to do is hit its weak spot enough to expose its heart, then your Rogue will (eventually) jump on the dragon, activate the skill and just sit there destroying the dragon for you. It can't deliver the final blow, but it'll sure as hell do some serious damage.

Any other tips you need, I'll help if I can! :)

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Don't mind if I shoot you a PM every now and then :p I'm about level 45, so I still have a lot to go. I'm just afraid if I hop around vocations too much I reach the end levels with my stats spread out too thin.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
For physical damage and flexibility superiority, assassins are king. A close second are archers, but only because they lack in melee skills. In pure damage potential, archers are greater than assassins, but it takes some skill and circumstance to pull off. Being a bit too far to the left might block your shot and completely nullify your damage output.

I prefer magic knights because I like both magic and melee. Inflicting torpor on a gorecyclops with a timed block and then tripping them up with stone forest while they're slowed is one of my favorite things to do in the game. They do suffer in the growth department, so I prefer going for archer because of their balanced offensive growth for the first 100 levels where the stat growth is the greatest. Once I'm past 100, I stop paying attention to growth and start leveling up vocations for reals and eventually settle for magic knights.

I normally do not go for magic archers because they rely almost exclusively on magic damage and they have terrible stat growth. I only go for it if I focus on magic from the get-go, which, again, I rarely do. While I enjoy landing a perfect gicel as much as anyone else, opportunities and times you actually pull it off are too few and far inbetween. I mean, I guess I could go and cheese a gorecyclops or two, but that's not very fun.

Then again, I could go get the blessed flower and forge a copy or two and power through the first 100 levels as a mage. I haven't played DD in a while, so it might be a good opportunity before the new DD game comes out. I like the concept of a magic archer, but the fact that you gimp yourself by playing it has always put me off enough to stick to other classes. At least magic knights use strength as much as magic.

Apr 5, 2008
My opinion is that your choice depends on whether you plan to play NG+ once or twice, or just have a single playthru. If you are only going to play thru the game one time, pick the class you enjoy and just play. IIRC, a normal, first playthru will see you level to about 60-65ish. You do not need to min-max to enjoy the game or be good at it. Bear in mind that each class will have a "weakness" of sorts...Warriors lack range attacks, Mages/Sorcerers lack melee, Magik Archers lack normal damage (magik golems are impossible for them as a result). You can finish the main story, enjoy the post-dragon content and even BBI without worrying about min-maxing.

If you do plan on NG+ or beyond and/or want to level up toward the 200 cap, then there is something to be said for a little planning. Stat growth and augments of the different classes can be very beneficial to most characters so it's well worth switching vocations for a bit to get the benefits. For example, Fighters benefit greatly from the HP growth of Warriors as well as some of the Magik defence of Magik Archers and the augments of sorcerers (Magik Defence again). Many classes benefit from the stamina growth from a few levels of ranger.

The most important thing is to play a class you enjoy and wish to play. After that, keep in mind that you have a main pawn whose vocation you can switch as well. So if you're a fighter and he/she is a mage, swap them around for a bit. Or swap to a ranger and assassin and hire two pawns to complement that. After a few levels, switch again. You'll enjoy the stat growths and augments from the other classes, vary up the gameplay a bit and the end result is a better realised, more useful character you've tweaked and customised and hopefully had some fun playing.

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
Warrior isn't that great, bro. Few skills, bad coverage, and it's not even top tier dps. Warrior is basically just there to provide decent augments to other, better classes. Hate to break it to you.

But if you insist on living out your Guts fantasy, then get yourself some decent ranged pawns. Something that can hit those flying targets and bring them to the ground for you to wail on.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I loooove me some Dragons Dogma, and the warrior class made me shit myself with hype the first time I used it. However its a shame that the warrior was easily the worst class in the game :( It just doesnt have any options, and considering how a lot of the bosses kind of require grappling onto them, or hitting them in the air....

I really hope that if they make a sequel, they rebalance the classes to make everything more viable. And include the actual Berserker armour and the Dragonslayer. I know theyre making Dragons Dogma online, but I would much, much prefer a Dragons Dogma 2. Come on Capcom, after Street Fighter 5 comes out, just butter up Sony into helping you make a sequel to DD

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
So, I spent most of my time until level 111 as an Assassin. Right now I've got about 550 Strength and 300 Magick. Even though I'm loving the Assassin playstyle I want to try Magick Archer. Thing is, the only way I can get some Magick growing is to spend a lot of time leveling as Mage or Sorcerer, and I have 0 interest in playing those.

So, is 300 enough to give it a shot (keep in mind I spend most of my time playing Post-Daimon BBI, so obscene damage is a must) or did I just basically screwed myself out of Magick Archering?