Need to learn Japanese.

Hummmy

Jun 30, 2011
Hey, I'm going to Japan in just over a year and I want to be able to read, write and have a conversation with someone when I get there. I was going to see if I could find someone to teach me in my town but apparently no one does it.. So I guess I'm forced to use the internet.

Has anyone here ever had to do this? Is Japanese really hard to learn?
I'm after some book names or tips on where to start with it if anyone can?
I'm willing to pay for the books or CD's if I need to aswell.

Thankyou!

balol

May 6, 2010
My Japanese classes used/use Nakama

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618966285/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0669275832&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DQMGQC6R0MC8EQKC0R5

They did me well enough. Good luck.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Don't use Rosetta Stone, that is one of the main pieces of advice I can give you. I think it is rather funny that this thread just cropped up since I was also just looking at the 'Tell Me More' software.
http://www.tellmemore.com/

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Japanese can be a ***** and a half, especially if you plan on being able to read it well within a year.

I recommend the Genki textbook series as a good start. The lessons in there are easy and you'll want to get the companion CDs and such. You're not going to be able to read kanji at any sort of newspaper competency within a year, so just learn basic ones and try to get a couple hundred at least.

I also recommend finding some pen-pal type programs online. Japanese kids and adults are just as eager to learn and practice English as you are to speak Japanese.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Don't use Rosetta Stone
Why not? What is wrong with it? I don't know anything about it but I have heard good things about it and I was wondering what your opinion was.

Monkeh

Oct 10, 2011
I'd recommend Genki, a lot of the classes over here in Japan use it. Also, Anki is pretty good for learning vocab. I'd also second avoiding Rosetta Stone.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
I can recommend you this book and maybe it's audio CD's:

http://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Course-Elementary-Japanese-English/dp/4789009637/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318223408&sr=8-2

You learn pretty much everything you need in everyday life, afterwards you could do the second book, or pick a book about common kanji.

edit: damn, got ninja'd :p

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
You probably ought to know that Kanji, one of their main alphabets, has over a thousand characters that you'll need to know to read, say, a newspaper. Learning it is apparently the most difficult part of any language to learn except Chinese, which is essentially the same but harder. The highest-level Kanji exam requires you to know 6000 different kanjis, so bear in mind that there is a shitload of them out there. Learn Hiragana and Katakana first, then get working on Kanji as soon as you can.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
the spud said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Don't use Rosetta Stone
Why not? What is wrong with it? I don't know anything about it but I have heard good things about it and I was wondering what your opinion was.
Rosetta Stone is pretty much only good for vocab and pronunciation. It doesn't teach you grammar and syntax or any reasoning behind the language.

For example, Japanese has dozens of things that are called 'particles'. Similarly phonetic particles can have an entirely different meanings and learning to recognize and use them properly is pretty much essential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_particles

Hummmy

Jun 30, 2011
Ok, so let me just get this straight, all this Genki, Kanji are their different alphabets or something?

From what I understand about Japanese so far is that they use a symbol to represent a each word. And to know all the words, you basically have to remember a symbol for every word there is?

Am I correct in thinking this?

Monkeh

Oct 10, 2011
the spud said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Don't use Rosetta Stone
Why not? What is wrong with it?
Rosetta Stone tries to simulate the way we acquire language as a child, by associating sound with images. It encourages you to make mistakes in early stages and allows you to correct them at a later stage. However, the reason this works in children is because they are constantly surrounded by their native language, and receive continual correction by their parents. This doesn't happen with Rosetta Stone.

Although saying this, it might actually be useful for vocabulary, I just wouldn't use it for grammar.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Monkeh said:
I'd recommend Genki, a lot of the classes over here in Japan use it. Also, Anki is pretty good for learning vocab. I'd also second avoiding Rosetta Stone.
Genki is excellent, used it a lot and still refer back to it.

Hummmy said:
Ok, so let me just get this straight, all this Genki, Kanji are their different alphabets or something?

From what I understand about Japanese so far is that they use a simple to represent a word and to know all the words, you basically have to remember a symbol for every word there is?

There are three types of alphabets in the Japanese language

Hiragana
Katakana
Kanji

You need to understand the symbol, to understand what the words they're trying to say are.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Hummmy said:

From what I understand about Japanese so far is that they use a simple to represent a word and to know all the words, you basically have to remember a symbol for every word there is?

Genki is a textbook series that's pretty good and teaches you basic grammar, vocab, and writing.

There are three basic scripts in Japanese: Hiragana, katakana, and kanji.

Hiragana and katakana are both syllable based, much like the English alphabet. A single character in either script represents a single syllable. These are the most basic and you should learn them first. Hiragana is used for verb tenses and particles. Katakana is used primarily to transcribe foreign words to be phonetically pronounceable to the Japanese.

Kanji is the a symbol based system, very similar to Chinese. There are thousands of characters, but only around 2000 are required by Japanese educational standards and 1000 will pretty much get you by in life.

Monkeh

Oct 10, 2011
Katakana and Hiragana are the "alphabets", and are pretty easy to learn on your own. Kanji are the symbols, and are much trickier. Genki is a pretty good Japanese book which will cover most of what you need.

EDIT: Yeah, qazmatoz said it better.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Hummmy said:

There are three alphabets. Hiragana, which is used for grammar and kids who don't know kanji. Katakana, which is used for foreign words and sound effects. And lastly kanji, which are the letters with meanings ascribed to them. Sentences can contain a mixture of all of them, though hiragana should be the first one you learn.

Genki is the name of a well-know japanese textbook, which you should buy if you want to learn the language. It explains all of this.

Also some guy did this thread forever ago: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.142922-Learning-Japanese-001-Part-1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.142922-Learning-Japanese-001-Part-1]

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Also if you do plan on getting Genki, be sure to get the newly released second edition.

http://www.jbox.com/product/STU146

Or any other site really; Amazon costs more, but that's because they factor in shipping from Japan.

Hummmy

Jun 30, 2011
qazmatoz said:
Also if you do plan on getting Genki, be sure to get the newly released second edition.

Thankyou! I was going to ask if someone could post that so I know I got the right one.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Hummmy said:
qazmatoz said:

Thankyou! I was going to ask if someone could post that so I know I got the right one.
Hey, after a little digging around, I think I found the best deal.

http://www.thejapanshop.com/Genki-Second-Integrated-Elementary-Japanese/dp/B004QZFYX8

From the looks of it, they're charging $58 and ship from within the United States, keeping the shipping cost down.

Hummmy

Jun 30, 2011
Well I'm from Australia.. So shipping will be a fair bit no matter where it's from. lol

mikeysnakes

Apr 22, 2010
As someone who was in almost the exact same boat as you, nothing at all can beat an actual class with a good teacher, preferably at a college. The reason being is that a lot of things will be difficult to get your head around in America, but if a teacher drills into your head a word like 10,000, you may still have trouble, but once you reach Japan you'll see since ¥10,000 is basically $100. On the flip side, if you ignore certain things, then when you do anything you will only hear noise and not be able to pick out the words you do know. More importantly, it will help you with pronunciation which is really difficult for some english speakers because there is no accenting of syllables. Also know that this is really ambitious, but I think you can make it to a level where you can converse in a year (how well you can converse will come later).

Now lets throw some insider knowledge to help out. First, early on, Katakana will be very helpful, not only due to the overuse of Wasai-eigo (Japanese English) but also since the trains (at least JR Higashi Nihon) will show names in Katakana as well as Kanji (english too on most). Always remember, Japanese is SOV (or OSV) meaning the verb will ALWAYS be at the end. Don't copy the verbs or tenses that store workers use because it is always far too polite for everyday use. Practice whatever Kanji you are told is common, it will pay off, and don't go choosing what you think is common because that could end badly. Lastly, attitude is EVERYTHING with this sort of deal, many foreigners know more Japanese than me but rarely speak it, whereas I charge in headfirst, friends and older Japanese people will correct you, which is good, you need that, but store workers and coworkers probably wont.

I don't know if you're coming for work or travel (if the latter, get the JR Rail pass, you wont regret that), but staying at Guesthouses, Ryokan, or Hostels can greatly help your speaking ability when you travel, especially if there are few or no other foreigners there. Also from my experience, Kanto area sucks in terms of meeting people. In cities like Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, the people are usually far more willing to talk to you if you speak Japanese. Tokyo you can probably make friends too, but I live outside Tokyo in an "Industrial City" area, and most of the people on the street wont even say Ohayo, compared to west Japan, that's crazy. However, you may be met with entirely different cases as well.

If you're gonna learn on your own, I can offer up the textbook I learned from in College which is called Contemporary Japanese by Eriko Sato. I learned from Mrs. Sato herself, but I think the book is well enough laid out that all she teaches in her classes (like explanations and whanot) is actually in great detail in the book itself. I'm pretty sure they're up on Amazon. If you have a good base of understanding, then most important will be to just come and speak Japanese, your abilities will grow from there. Sorry I wrote a fucking essay ~_^