Neil Gaiman's American Gods Is Coming to Starz

harpere

May 20, 2014
Neil Gaiman's American Gods Is Coming to Starz

Gaiman's classic novel is -- we hope -- finally headed to television.

Originally, Neil Gaiman's supernatural road trip novel American Gods was heading towards an HBO adaptation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131983-Neil-Gaimans-American-Gods-and-Anansi-Boys-Headed-to-TV], but since HBO lost the option to the show, the state of American Gods has been in TV limbo. However, now Starz has announced that it's picking up the series.

Details on the series -- like a premiere date or even a number of episodes -- are scarce, but Starz has said that Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies ) and Michael Green (The River, Kings) will be running the show for Starz and FreemantleMedia North America. And if Bryan Fuller brings to this project the level of care that he's brought to Hannibal, it's sure to be fantastic. Says Neil Gaiman of the collaboration, "When you create something like American Gods, which attracts fans and obsessives and people who tattoo quotes from it on themselves or each other, and who all, tattooed or not, just care about it deeply, it's really important to pick your team carefully: you don't want to let the fans down, or the people who care and have been casting it online since the dawn of recorded history. What I love most about the team who I trust to take it out to the world, is that they are the same kind of fanatics that American Gods has attracted since the start. I haven't actually checked Bryan Fuller or Michael Green for quote tattoos, but I would not be surprised if they have them."

In short, it sounds like American Gods is in good hands... but we're still staying tuned for more details. Come on, Starz, you can trust us to keep a secret -- who's going to be playing Shadow?

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
harpere said:
who's going to be playing Shadow?
Probably Matthew McConaughey, since, apparently, he is in every cool project that exists.

I hope they manage to give the book justice. But I can't think about Neil Gaiman's work being adapted without remembering Terry Gilliam's intention of filming Good Omens, which ended up never happening.

I can't think of a more perfect match than the old Python adapting the amazingly hilarious apocalyptic book by Pratchet and Gaiman. Someone should kickstart the hell out of this one...

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Starz = an amazing amount of nudity. This may be strange.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am amped for this. I was so disappointed that it just fizzled after the HBO announcement, but I really want to see one of my favorite books from my favorite living author be done right. It's looking good.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Interesting how I just picked up the book to read again for like the 100th time... (actual read counts may vary, as I don't keep track past 50).
I'll be looking forward to it.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Now, if they follow Neil Gaiman's suggestions and have SHadow be played by The Rock...

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
valium said:
This will only be good if they don't follow the book. Take the basic premise of immigrants bringing their gods and mythological creatures to the US, and having them lose their powers after being forgotten and their war with the new gods, and run with that.
I came here to say this, pretty much, and that I really hope Shadow is played by the Rock.
It would just make me happy, is all.

And maybe for the norse god's names not to be so ham-fisted obvious.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Hannibal looks amazing, but the writing is... well... implausible at best. I will remain cautiously optimistic, though.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Starz knocked Spartacus out of the park and that won me over as a fan. Hopefully this will do the source material justice.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Malty Milk Whistle said:
valium said:
This will only be good if they don't follow the book. Take the basic premise of immigrants bringing their gods and mythological creatures to the US, and having them lose their powers after being forgotten and their war with the new gods, and run with that.
I came here to say this, pretty much, and that I really hope Shadow is played by the Rock.
It would just make me happy, is all.

And maybe for the norse god's names not to be so ham-fisted obvious.
What if, instead of the Rock, it was Roman Reigns?