NEO: The World Ends With You

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I had to collect myself before posting this. Yes, actual tears.

Not only is this a fine RPG, one of my favorite games of all time... but this was a game that was given to me by a Loved One, at a time where everyone else literally forgot my birthday while I was dealing with taking care of my father after his medical incident.

And it was that type of environment that made me a moody semi-adult who just wanted the world to disappear. And there was Neku. And in a fantastical way, it was mirroring a lot of what was going on in my life at the time.

Keep believing and you will be rewarded. I'm sorry this is so personal, but I wanted to draw attention to this game.

Thank you for reading this.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I had to collect myself before posting this. Yes, actual tears.

Not only is this a fine RPG, one of my favorite games of all time... but this was a game that was given to me by a Loved One, at a time where everyone else literally forgot my birthday while I was dealing with taking care of my father after his medical incident.

And it was that type of environment that made me a moody semi-adult who just wanted the world to disappear. And there was Neku. And in a fantastical way, it was mirroring a lot of what was going on in my life at the time.

Keep believing and you will be rewarded. I'm sorry this is so personal, but I wanted to draw attention to this game.

Thank you for reading this.
Ive heard this is an unsung gem. I'm happy the fans are getting their long-awaited sequel.

EDIT: How you feel about this game's reveal, is a lot of how I felt about FF7REmake. So you now know how i felt when I saw that reveal back in 2015.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Here's to hoping the Switch version is decent. It's my go to jrpg machine, but aside from DQXI, have not been overly impressed by Square's offerings on the platform. Also, wondering if Takeharu Ishimoto will return to do the soundtrack. I mean, he is for the anime of TWEWY they're also doing. Oh, and be a good game in general of course.

Last edited:

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

I didn't play the first one and I think Nomura is a hack, but somehow seeing people call it a Persona 5 clone makes me sad.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The World Ends With You literally saved my life in high school. I am so, so happy to see it finally get a sequel - and I know the trailer doesn't have a lot to go on, but it looks incredible. Minamimoto is the best party member already. Don't @ me.

Also the anime, which means I can introduce my friends to the original story. I know video game anime normally isn't a good deal, but I just have a good feeling. The game had a very linear story, so the anime won't have to deal with trying to make decisions, for starters...

Reactions: ObsidianJones

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I really liked The World Ends With You. So much so that I actually bought a red skull pin and still wear it on my hat to symbolize my existence as a mindless consumerist slave. One of the only times I've ever bought gaming merch.

That said, I'm not holding out any hope of this being good. Sequels rarely hold up to the original. Especially cash in sequels to stories with complete resolutions made 10 years after the fact.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@ObsidianJones. How you feel about this game was I felt when Streets of Rage 4 and DMC5 got announced. I played The World Ends With You back on the DS. I don't have the game anymore, and I know it's available on Switch, but I have no interests. The same goes for NEO, yet I do hope the games is good for your sake and others fans.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
That's one of those games that somehow escaped me. I always kinda wanted to play it but I guess not enough. Sequel looks cool though.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I really liked The World Ends With You. So much so that I actually bought a red skull pin and still wear it on my hat to symbolize my existence as a mindless consumerist slave. One of the only times I've ever bought gaming merch.

That said, I'm not holding out any hope of this being good. Sequels rarely hold up to the original. Especially cash in sequels to stories with complete resolutions made 10 years after the fact.
If the bonus content added to Final Remix is a taste of its quality, it probably will be subpar to the original, but still enjoyable.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hey maybe it'll have interesting gameplay rather than "mash random button with your left hand while scribbling with your right hand and fighting off carpal tunnel".