NES Classic Hack Allows You to Add New Games

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
NES Classic Hack Allows You to Add New Games

Nintendo has stated that it will never release new games for the NES Classic, but some crafty hackers have already figured out an unofficial way to do it themselves.

Disclaimer: The Escapist does not condone piracy in any shape or form, including the illegal download and use of ROMs.

When Nintendo launched its hugely popular NES Classic last year, one of the things that it specifically stated was that Russian modders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167941-Mini-NES-No-Online-No-New-Games] having figured out a way to unofficially add new games to the system.

A modder by the name of "Madmonkey" has posted a full guide to a Russian modding forum [http://gbx.ru/?showtopic=115261&st=440]. His method is what's known as a "softmod" - it doesn't require any actual mechanical or electronic alterations to the hardware - and simply requires the user to have a a save file in the starting slot for Super Mario Bros.

From there it's actually quite simple. You download Madmonkey's software - "hakchi" - and connect your NES Classic to your PC via USB in FEL mode. You can then transfer new games over to the system. A newer version of the software, "hakchi2" from forum user Cluster makes the process even more streamlined, giving players a drag-and-drop interface to install new games.

Of course, as with any system modifications like this, there is the risk that you can "brick" your console. Nintendo has been quite strict with modifications of its consoles in the past, although the fact that the NES Classic has no on-line function means it is impossible for it to specifically target modders.

You also have to own the ROM files for the new games you want to upload to the system, which are of course illegal. Please do not break the law.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/people-have-started-hacking-nintendos-nes-classic-and-a-1790936458]

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Why would anyone ever bother with this? you need a pc to preform the hack. Is this for pirates who don't know you can play NES games on your computer? or even on your goddam phone if you have the will and requisite disregard for international copyright law?

Hypothetically speaking, You are swashbuckling dirty scurvy ridden pirate, what are you going to do?

A) pirate and play whatever you want on your computer with relatively zero fuss, knowing how to use google being the only requirement, at zero cost

B) using currency of some type, purchase a small grey box. and drudge threw a Russian forum for a guide on how to upload games onto said box using some strange save file work around, For the cost of greater then zero moneys?

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
You also have to own the ROM files for the new games you want to upload to the system, which are of course illegal. Please do not break the law.
Illegal as in illegal? Or illegal as in "don't mention this addon, or we'll ban you without question" illegal? Because it isn't illegal to create a ROM for a game you already OWN. Misinformation can be fun and all, but let's not perpetuate ignorance. Using a ROM of a game you already own can fall under Fair Use, and while Nintendo will say it's illegal no matter what, Nintendo is also a moronic git when it comes to at least half the things they do. No case has ever gone to court over this, and frankly they never will. And until there is such a time where Nintendo goes out of their way to charge someone for using a rom of a game they own and also haven't shared it with others, it's a gray area at worst.

Sharing ROM? Bad. Downloading one? Bad. Creating one from a game you own, only for your personal use? Guess what? No different than ripping a CD--and yes, that is legal.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Okamisama said:
Steven Bogos said:
Illegal as in illegal? Or illegal as in "don't mention this addon, or we'll ban you without question" illegal? Because it isn't illegal to create a ROM for a game you already OWN. Misinformation can be fun and all, but let's not perpetuate ignorance. Using a ROM of a game you already own can fall under Fair Use, and while Nintendo will say it's illegal no matter what, Nintendo is also a moronic git when it comes to at least half the things they do. No case has ever gone to court over this, and frankly they never will. And until there is such a time where Nintendo goes out of their way to charge someone for using a rom of a game they own and also haven't shared it with others, it's a gray area at worst.

Sharing ROM? Bad. Downloading one? Bad. Creating one from a game you own, only for your personal use? Guess what? No different than ripping a CD--and yes, that is legal.
It's a grey area at best that depends on a lot of factors, especially the country you live in. Even for the US - after a bit of searching I cannot come up with a consensus on whether or not they are illegal, even in the situation of making a "backup" copy for your own purpose. We tend to err on the side of caution on this one, if nothing else then to assure we have no personal liability.

By the way, according to this article [http://lifehacker.com/5978326/is-it-legal-to-rip-a-dvd-that-i-own] it is actually illegal to rip or copy a copy-protected CD or DVD.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
By the way, according to this article [http://lifehacker.com/5978326/is-it-legal-to-rip-a-dvd-that-i-own] it is actually illegal to rip or copy a copy-protected CD or DVD.
To my knowledge most older cartridges and CDs are not copy-protected.

As far as "backup copy" law is concerned in the United States there is a clear clause that states you can make one copy of your software for personal use if the original software is damaged or lost. You must own a valid copy of the software and must destroy or transfer your backup copy if you sell the original. It is fully legal to make a backup copy of a CD or DVD, but it is illegal to circumvent anti-piracy technology in order to do so.

You will notice in most terms of use that their wording is very specific. "You may not lend or make illegal copies of this disc." If they did not allow you to make copies the word "illegal" would not be there.

Now, there have been rulings that making any copies of music is illegal, archival or not. These are highly controversial and generally ignored when brought forth in a court of law. The reason for this is that you must make a copy of the audio in order to transfer it to a device after purchasing it. By following the law the media becomes literally unusable which would then put the content creators in legal trouble (for false advertisement and for selling unusable goods). The Copyright Act was amended in 1980 (Section 117) to acknowledge that a user must copy software in a limited extent in order to use it. It also explicitly permits a user to make a copy of the software for backup and archival purposes as a safeguard against damage.

Most importantly, when all is said and done, copyright owners have the finally say in copying. Nintendo has no authority in saying that you cannot copy ROMs because they do not own all of the copyrights for every single piece of software.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Honestly I am curious as to the market demographics of that device. Outside the actual nescontroller usb which is pretty sweet. This is celearly marketed towards people who. Like retro nes games but.. have never heard of emulation.. or the retron.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Reasonable Atheist said:
Why would anyone ever bother with this? you need a pc to preform the hack. Is this for pirates who don't know you can play NES games on your computer? or even on your goddam phone if you have the will and requisite disregard for international copyright law?

Hypothetically speaking, You are swashbuckling dirty scurvy ridden pirate, what are you going to do?

A) pirate and play whatever you want on your computer with relatively zero fuss, knowing how to use google being the only requirement, at zero cost

B) using currency of some type, purchase a small grey box. and drudge threw a Russian forum for a guide on how to upload games onto said box using some strange save file work around, For the cost of greater then zero moneys?
2 reasons.

It's cool to try and play with new toys, which is exactly what that softmod is. I spent WEEKS, goofing around with my Xbox after I softmodded it. All I really cared about was Phantom Crash, which I owned the disc for. Eventually, I got PSx games on it, movies... It's fun if it's your cup of tea.

Also, when it comes to consoles, there's something to be said about having your friend sits next to you on the couch, controller in hand, eyes glued to the oversized TV. IMO, that's how consoles are meant to be played, and is the biggest 'problem' I have with PC games. That being said, I'll never go back to console again...

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I do not condone piracy in any shape or form, including the illegal download and use of ROMs.

Nice job.