Netflix App on 3DS: It Really Works!

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Just watched a full one hour TV episode, and alas, little battery loss and no eyestrain. Unfortunate for people who like to hate, but very fortunate for people who like to watch Netflix.
Kysafen said:
Balobo said:
As little I know about telecommunications technologies, I'd imagine if you could play with people online in real-time, you could at least stream video.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Streaming video is a LOT more intensive than gaming online.

Gaming is (roughly) just data for where you are and what you're doing, whereas video is streaming pictures at 24fps.

http://www.dansdata.com/bandwidth.htm (note that this article was posted waaaaay back in the day and then updated, so it would only be more intensive for video seeing that it is much higher def, whereas gaming wouldn't change at all)

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
punipunipyo said:
OH? really? can't wait to see 3D movies with that!~
Isn't going to be 3D movies/etc streamed for a while, but I imagine it's coming.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Streaming video over 3G? I've seen how 3G handles youtube on an Android smartphone and if that's any indication, you're going to be enjoying a very small size and lots of compression in order to get video streaming. 3G is pretty terrible compared to Wifi. Useful for browsing light websites or checking e-mail outside of a wifi signal, but otherwise pointless. (*hates the fact that mobile phone companies require data plans for smartphones*)

Though in any case, Vita will certainly have the upper hand with Netflix, in the form of much better processing speed, probably faster wifi and a much better, larger screen. I bought a 3DS on day 1 but I can't honestly argue that the Vita isn't going to easily pull off a better Netflix than the 3DS. But the same arguments against 3DS Netflix streaming (why not just use a TV, laptop or other device) apply just the same.

OT: I tried streaming on my 3DS and I must say, it's pretty nice! I don't use Netflix much and I doubt I'll use this much if at all (never touched my Wii Netflix channel either) but it's nice to know it's there if the situation arises. :)

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Eventidal said:
Streaming video over 3G? I've seen how 3G handles youtube on an Android smartphone
That's how YouTube handles 3G, not how '3G handles YouTube.' YouTube has a Mobile setting that has terrible compression and resolution for people with small 3G usage caps. You can still watch videos in any other setting you want.

And Netflix uses Silverlight which is much better at moderating resolution and bitrate over little bandwidth.

And though you wouldn't know on Android, on iPhone Netflix is amazing on 3G or Wifi. Sorry about your processor.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
Keith K said:
Eventidal said:
Streaming video over 3G? I've seen how 3G handles youtube on an Android smartphone
That's how YouTube handles 3G, not how '3G handles YouTube.' YouTube has a Mobile setting that has terrible compression and resolution for people with small 3G usage caps. You can still watch videos in any other setting you want.

And Netflix uses Silverlight which is much better at moderating resolution and bitrate over little bandwidth.

And though you wouldn't know on Android, on iPhone Netflix is amazing on 3G or Wifi. Sorry about your processor.
I stream Netflix over 3G on my iPhone constantly at work, and I've never had any problems at all. This isn't great Big City 3G either my friend. This is bum-fuck middle of no where Louisiana 3G.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Maybe I missed it, but will Netflix on 3DS also stream actual 3D movies?
Like Avatar's theatrical release with the 3D fuction of the 3DS making it really appear 3D?

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Chibz said:
punipunipyo said:
OH? really? can't wait to see 3D movies with that!~
Isn't going to be 3D movies/etc streamed for a while, but I imagine it's coming.
Wouldn't it be 3DS's "edge" on the streaming market? Being able to run 3D movies? I bet Nintendo is figuring out how to stream 2 videos at once, and making 3DS comparable to play just that... it's obvious to stream 2 "lower res" version of the movie (for small screen and all) but being able to output both in the same time and making it registering as 3D movie would have MANY 3D movie fans flooding to get their hands on a 3Ds just to watch 3D movies with out buying an expensive 3D TV... 3DS is then an obvious choice at that point. it's a wish, it's a guess, and it's a possibility that it was originally planed that way...

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Asuka Soryu said:
Sean951 said:
Asuka Soryu said:
lol Wow, yet people b-tched and moaned about watching stuff on the PSP and it's screen is bigger then the 3DS'.
The PSP also required you buy the movie in PSP form, not stream it from the account you have to watch it on any of the other consoles.
And yet, I always heard people complain about watching a movie/show on a small screen when discussing it, not buying said movies/shows.
The catch here is that, with the PSP, even if you DIDN'T have a problem with the screen size, you're still required to rebuy your movies in UMD format. Or if you don't own a film, buying it in UMD format restricts it to the PSP. With a Netflix account, you still have the flexibility to watch on consoles and computers, as well as good old snail-mail delivery. It's not like Netflix is selling a 3DS only package. And even if they did, you'd still have the option to pay for other types of packages. It keeps your options open to choose what you want with what you've paid for, as opposed to the extremely limited use of the UMD.

Of course, what you hear people discussing is a whole other story, but overall this is much better than UMD movies. (I still probably won't be getting a 3DS though)

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Works all right, though I'd much rather watch Netflix on my computer monitor or on my TV thru PS3. Looking forward to when 3D content arrives though!

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
Bah. Once again England is left in the dust when it comes to advancement in technology. I feel so backwards being in this country (when looking at technology). I hope Nexflix's comes to the UK and soon.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Asuka Soryu said:
Sean951 said:
Asuka Soryu said:
lol Wow, yet people b-tched and moaned about watching stuff on the PSP and it's screen is bigger then the 3DS'.
The PSP also required you buy the movie in PSP form, not stream it from the account you have to watch it on any of the other consoles.
And yet, I always heard people complain about watching a movie/show on a small screen when discussing it, not buying said movies/shows.
Actually, my problem was that the battery life sucked canal water while watching a video on the PSP. The picture itself was phenomenal. The PSP has always had a gorgeous screen.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Balobo said:
Hahahaha streaming movies over 3G?
My power went out the other day (as did the internet) and I watched movies with great quality on Crackle using *GASP* my 3G signal.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
coldfrog said:
Asuka Soryu said:
Sean951 said:
Asuka Soryu said:
The catch here is that, with the PSP, even if you DIDN'T have a problem with the screen size, you're still required to rebuy your movies in UMD format. Or if you don't own a film, buying it in UMD format restricts it to the PSP. With a Netflix account, you still have the flexibility to watch on consoles and computers, as well as good old snail-mail delivery. It's not like Netflix is selling a 3DS only package. And even if they did, you'd still have the option to pay for other types of packages. It keeps your options open to choose what you want with what you've paid for, as opposed to the extremely limited use of the UMD.

Of course, what you hear people discussing is a whole other story, but overall this is much better than UMD movies. (I still probably won't be getting a 3DS though)
The arguement for the 3DS seems to be, you can play it on other devices... but doesn't that defeat the point of the 3DS? I mean, why would you choose a 3DS screen over your TV/PC?

Mobillity? Where? Can the 3DS go anywhere while connected to Netflix while you're far away from home? And it only would be good in doors, with the lousy Sun telling your screen to go dark as hell.

Then you count in the 3DS craptacular life, wich makes it even less portable, since you'll wanna keep it near a recharger if you're gone to watch movies/episodes.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Asuka Soryu said:
The arguement for the 3DS seems to be, you can play it on other devices... but doesn't that defeat the point of the 3DS? I mean, why would you choose a 3DS screen over your TV/PC?

Mobillity? Where? Can the 3DS go anywhere while connected to Netflix while you're far away from home? And it only would be good in doors, with the lousy Sun telling your screen to go dark as hell.

Then you count in the 3DS craptacular life, wich makes it even less portable, since you'll wanna keep it near a recharger if you're gone to watch movies/episodes.
The argument isn't that you can do it on other things, it's that this is a bonus. It's not saying "I'm buying the 3DS to watch Netflix on, which I can also use elsewhere", it's more a case of "I have a 3DS and happen to have Netflix, so this is a little bonus in whatever random situation that might come up". I actually completely agree that there are probably few situations where it is useful, but the fact is that if you HAVE a 3DS and Netflix, this is just a nice little bonus.

Additionally, the review seems to make it seem that you can watch four full-length movies which sounds like good battery life to me.

In any case, this is in no way a system seller, but the fact that it sounds so well done is pretty amazing to me.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
Does the update delete all of the trailers from E3 that Nintendo put up? They've been saying they'd be unavailable soon, and I don't know if they meant they'd be unavailable from the shop or if they'd delete them like they did the OK Go video.

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
Yukichin said:
Does the update delete all of the trailers from E3 that Nintendo put up? They've been saying they'd be unavailable soon, and I don't know if they meant they'd be unavailable from the shop or if they'd delete them like they did the OK Go video.
I downloaded the Netflix app yesterday and all of the trailers are still on my home screen, so I'm going to say no, they didn't delete them. Admittedly, this was merely an eShop app, not a system update, so Ninty might delete them later on.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Kysafen said:
[snip]
Balobo said:
Hahahaha streaming movies over 3G?

As little I know about telecommunications technologies, I'd imagine if you could play with people online in real-time, you could at least stream video.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
That depends on which 3G technology you have available. HSPA+ is up to 84Mb, which is certainly enough to stream video-- it uses a rather rare antenna technology called MIMO.

Even if you can find a carrier with HSPA+, it's very rare for speeds to go beyond 21Mbit. However, 21Mbit is quite enough to stream high-definition video, given that your carrier has a stable downlink.

3G technologies have a wide range of connection speeds, but it's one of those cases where "standards are beautiful, because there are so many to choose from".

As a professional working in the telecom industry, I would say stick with wifi for video until 4G is generally rolled out; it's a ways to go before that massive infrastructure is in place but while 3G is theoretically all you need for HD streaming, in practice you might find something else depending on your location and subscription-plan etc.

LTE, aka 4G, however, gives you the dedicated bandwidth you need for high-resolution streaming content-- provided your provider has put up enough boxes to handle all the traffic of course.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
Raeil said:
Yukichin said:
I downloaded the Netflix app yesterday and all of the trailers are still on my home screen, so I'm going to say no, they didn't delete them. Admittedly, this was merely an eShop app, not a system update, so Ninty might delete them later on.
Oh, awesome. The article had said you have to download a system update to get to it, so I was worried. Thank you!