Netflix Calls HD Streaming "Underwhelming," Perfect for Wii

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Netflix Calls HD Streaming "Underwhelming," Perfect for Wii

A Netflix executive said that 1 in 17 movies in their Watch Instantly library are true HD, so Wii owners aren't going to "miss out much."

Last month, we reported that Netflix would be streaming movies through the Wii console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97431-Netflix-Coming-To-The-Wii], as they currently do on the PS3 and the Xbox 360. Wii owners will have to run an application with a disc provided for free from Netflix, if you have at least a $9/month subscription. But because the Wii does not output video in HD, all movies streamed to the console will only be 480p. Netflix Vice President of Corporate Communications Steve Swasey thinks that HD doesn't really matter, and he is anticipating the service to be successful. The "wii-flix" service is set to roll out this Spring.

"26 million homes in America have a Wii. That's a whole lot of folks," Swasey told The Wiire [http://thewiire.com/editorials/post/6225-netflix-hd-streaming-underwhelming-expects-wii-success]. "We think that the desirability of watching movies instantly on the Wii via Netflix is a wonderful opportunity for Wii homes. And so we think it's going to be very well adopted."

But will audiences want to watch movies that aren't in HD? Swasey responded by shitting on his own service. "PS3 and Xbox users have 1 in 17 titles available in HD, and it's streamed in 720p... it's not in 1080p, and it's not in 5.1 surround sound or anything." He went on:

So, the HD experience at Netflix Instant Watching isn't that overwhelming. It's a little bit underwhelming. So the Wii folks aren't going to miss that much.

Swasey downplays the importance of HD, but does so by saying that Netflix isn't that good anyway. I guess the point stands that out of the 17,000 titles in the Netflix streaming library, Wii owners will only be watching an inferior resolution with 1,000 of them. And the downgrade is only from 720p to 480p.

Of course, what happens when Netflix adds more HD titles or *gasp* improves their streaming technology to include 1080p? Wii owners will be left with an inferior service than the other consoles, but I guess that's true of their gaming experience too.

**rimshot** [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZg3-Y1QIc4&feature=related]

Thanks folks, I'll be here all night. Tip your waitress!

Source: The Wiire [http://thewiire.com/editorials/post/6225-netflix-hd-streaming-underwhelming-expects-wii-success]

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
*tips hat* Hey, you didn't specify what kind of tip.

And couldn't they have released it on consoles in Britain first, I'm missing out.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Steve Swasey said:
... and it's not in 5.1 surround sound ...
Honestly, this is the biggest thing you lose in their 'HD' streaming over anything else. HD broadcast television or HD discs will give you 5.1 audio, but digital video won't.

That said, this should be pretty obvious - it's not like Netflix can magically make the Wii send HD video to your television. And the people that will find this the most appealing, and don't already own some other way to stream Netflix, probably aren't the kind that will care that much.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
I feel like I should point you to a proper rimshot. [http://www.instantrimshot.com/]

OT: I suppose he believes in "No such thing as bad press".

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I lived without HDTV for 20-some years. I think Wii owners can do without until the next gen consoles roll around. If not, that's too bad, suckers.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Xzi said:
HD doesn't matter...tell that to all the people who have spent a ton on a big, new HDTV. Of course if they actually wanted to take full advantage of its capabilities, they wouldn't have bought a Wii, so yea.
yeah, they prolly have Wii's and such.

Done feel much for them, I am sure, as mentioned, they wont miss much from the listings

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Seems just like this is a summary of the Wii, to be honest. Kinda cool and new, but not quite as cool and new as it could be.

Also, I'd have to reccomend this [http://www.instantrimshot.com/] for all of your future zingers.

EDIT: Aaaaaand...ninja'd.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Haha, nice burn on the Wii there. loving it. You didnt make that vid yourself did you? lol

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Of course, what happens when Netflix adds more HD titles or *gasp* improves their streaming technology to include 1080p? Wii owners will be left with an inferior service than the other consoles, but I guess that's true of their gaming experience too.
Ouch, thats a low blow man.
I love my Wii.
And i personaly think that it has a lot of games that are better or at least equal to some of the top games on the Ps3/360.

Back to the Topic:Im just glad that ill get to have Netflix on my Wii.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Greg Tito said:
I'm sorry. I couldn't understand you. I'm busying playing games like Muramasa,Tatsunoko vs Capcom,No More Heroes 2, Super Mario Galaxy instead of every mainstream shooter released on the Xbox 360 and Ps3.

I might subscribe to Netflix now.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
I'm sorry. I couldn't understand you. I'm busying playing games like Muramasa
Is it as cool as Odin Sphere? :D I'm still thinking about getting that one, but I'm not sure yet, I don't like the setting as much.

Anyways: HD Streaming... meh. I'd rather have a BD and enjoy surround sound when watching in HD. I can do without.

Edit: fixed.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Gladion said:
Aura Guardian said:
I'm sorry. I couldn't understand you. I'm busying playing games like Muramasa
Is it as cool as Odin Sphere? :D I'm still thinking about getting that one, but I'm not sure yet, I don't like the style as much.

Anyways: HD Streaming... meh. I'd rather have a BD and enjoy surround sound when watching in HD. I can do without.
Just as good man. I recommend it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hey, some channels don't broadcast in HD, so SD isn't dead. I watch a lot of shows in SD.

So, I'd use this. Maybe.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Zephirius said:
I feel like I should point you to a proper rimshot. [http://www.instantrimshot.com/]

OT: I suppose he believes in "No such thing as bad press".
I honestly considered that one but the ads pissed me off.

I chose that youtube rimshot if only for the sheer DIY-ness of it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I love the title "Netflix Calls HD Streaming "Underwhelming," Perfect for Wii"

It makes me think they're saying "Underwhelming? That's a perfect match for the Wii!"

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Bah. Network bandwidth and reliability need to drastically improve before real streaming 1080p - or even 720p - is a viable alternative. I have absolutely no interest in streaming ANYTHING if it has to pause every 30 seconds to re-buffer itself.

And when that gets updated, the Wii's going to be outdated anyhow.

wii_about_guide

Feb 9, 2010
Give me a break. First off, only about a third of homes even have HD, so for a lot of people this is a non-issue. And come on, taking a shot at a game console because it's not the perfect format for playing movies? Was that Nintendo's goal? Personally, I don't need my game console to play HD movies, or my phone to take high quality pictures, or my refrigerator to sketch my portrait, or my television to give me a massage, but that's just me.