Netflix Coming to iPad, Possibly iPhone

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

The iPad is now a portable streaming movie theater, with the iPhone following right behind it.

As if anyone needed another reason to be the first one in line to get Apple's new iPad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97806-Apples-Steve-Jobs-Announces-the-iPad], Netflix has made an app available for the device, and hinted that iPhone support could be next. The free app (activated by having a Netflix subscription) will allow users to stream Netflix content to their iPads wherever they may be.

I should state that I haven't been drinking the iPad kool-aid. I think it's probably going to be a great device, but I never get excited about anything until it's released. However, the ability to watch Netflix on the iPad could be pretty amazing, though I feel like battery life would be an issue. Still, anything that puts Firefly (now streaming on Netflix) in the palm of my hand can't be a bad thing.

In addition, Netflix has hinted that its app will also be coming to the iPhone and iPod touch. In a Netflix DS support [http://blog.netflix.com/2010/04/netflix-on-iphone.html], it's looking like portable movies and television shows will be all over the place in the near future.

(Via: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/netflix-coming-to-the-iphone-and-ipod-touch/])

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay, so we have Netflix on nearly everything now. I thought they would have sense and put a version of Apple TV on there.

Calumon: Is it called Apple TV? I don't think it is.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Catkid906 said:
Okay, so we have Netflix on nearly everything now. I thought they would have sense and put a version of Apple TV on there.

Next step is having Netflix on cereal!

Then toiletpaper!

Then on Netflix!

OT: I may have to get me an iPad. It looks pretty sweet, plus it would be nice to have such a simple computer.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Do we have Netflix on our eyelids, yet?
No, it's just regular ass TV as of the moment.

Then we will upgrade to cable.

And THEN we will have Netflix on our eyelids.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Do we have Netflix on our eyelids, yet?
No, but I have a feeling that, in this future you're predicting, our eyelids will be Apple products too...

[small]i-LIDS?[/small]

sighmoan

Jan 7, 2010
The New York Times earlier confirmed that the iPad has a constant battery time regardless of what it runs; the reviewer in question attested to 12h video playback.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Everyone does realise you can get a netbook with to just steam netflix via the browser?

Seriously, iPad is the anti-geek gadget, is is for UTTER MORONS who can't use a simple computer or realise they are being ripped off blind. I suppose it is useful as one thing I find is as much as I hate douchebags they are sometimes hard to spot at a distance, but anybody holding an iPad I will know to STAY THE FUCK AWAY from.

You know the iPad is not a stand alone device? to spite it's size and expense it STILL has to sync updates with a PC jsut like ipod and iphone.
-video chat
-run flash and ANY other necessary programs
-multiple programs
-no "app store approval" needed for programs
-much wider selection of games at competitive open market prices.
-any computer OS, open environment free for creativity and competition, rather than just a phone OS.
-USB ports to upload video, photos, update MP3 player, plug in mouse, CD/DVD drive
-Video output for presentations, work on larger home TV or monitor
-large replaceable hard drive, 160Gb is the standard and it's easy to upgrade, from the open market with competitive prices for goods and services
-Swap batteries, charge on the go, much more flexibility
-It is actually possible to type on your lap with and actual keyboard and angled screen of a netbook... but with an iPad it is 5 seconds of trying and "grr, what works for iPhone doesn't work on a 10 inch screen!"
-Upgrade the RAM when ever you need it, and when the price is right and from the open market.
-more powerful hardware for almost the same battery life
-MUCH more processing power relative to cost
-widescreen, this just seems retarded on apple's part.

And then the FUCKING PRICE! People guffawed at the $599 price tag for the standard model PS3 at launch while that was a whole freaking games console, but $599 for the 32GB iPad (16Gb is WAY too small) is ridiculous for an oversized iPod Touch:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/pricing/

Yeah, it REALLY is "unbelievable" how much Apple are ripping people off.

Honestly, if I was GIVEN an iPad I would not hesitate to sell the fucking thing, it is a waste of space, but the reason I hate it is people are dumb enough to follow this gimmick and pay through the nose for an inferior and locked down system. then for that manufacturers will stupidly follow them and their dumbed down standard... only you could slap an apple logo on a pile of turn and people would buy it.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Catkid906 said:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTAyNTQzODk

It is called that, but the Apple TV is just an iTunes Store enabled PVR, so why would you want it on an iPad, which isn't a TV/Cable receiver, and already has the iTunes Store?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really see some people gettign into this...but, for me. I think I will take a pass. Although idea is a good one

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Tom Goldman said:
SaintWaldo said:
Tom Goldman said:
I should state that I haven't been drinking the iPad kool-aid.
May I ask why you feel the need to state that?
May I ask why you feel the need to ask?
You just seemed to be ducking a punch that no one threw.
My intention was to express that, while I really don't care too much about the iPad currently, I think it'd be awesome to watch streaming netflix on it.

drizztmainsword

Apr 15, 2009
I've never understood the open hostility towards the iPad. I mean, sure, you may have no need for it, but how does that translate to such violent outrage?

You don't like it? Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Of course, this *is* the internet we're talking about. It's irrational to expect its denizens to act rationally.

I'd have to actually use the device to know, but I could easily see the thing replacing my laptop in my backpack in most cases. I agree, though, that the lack of a camera and flash support kinda stinks (of course, flash would work strangely in an all-touch interface; the functionality that most of the internet uses flash for is for interfaces that use roll-over for a good deal of their program. The concept of roll-over doesn't make any sense when there is no cursor to move around). I'm thinking that the second generation of the iPad will have some of the features that everybody wining about.

Undead_David

Nov 27, 2009
Tom Goldman said:

In addition, Netflix has hinted that its app will also be coming to the iPhone and iPod touch. In a Netflix DS support [http://blog.netflix.com/2010/04/netflix-on-iphone.html], it's looking like portable movies and television shows will be all over the place in the near future.

Heres my big question, when will they bring netflix to the Google App store? Since the Google OS is gaining a lot of ground on the IPhone I would think that this would also be in the works for them as well. Because as a new fan to Firefly (thanks to netflix streaming it now) I would love to see it be able to watch it without having to go throught the whole process of converting it and putting it on my phone lol

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
All Apple had to do was support multitasking, and I would have considered buying it. That's all.