Status
Not open for further replies.

lil devils x

๐ŸMore Lego Goats Please!๐Ÿ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I agree, and I don't intend to defend to morality of a fictional family in a movie I haven't seen. I'm contesting the suggestion that the family are the exclusive bad guys in a movie where the secret second life of dancing leads to stabbing and drowning.
The second life lead to neither of those things. You act like that is what caused them, it didn't. That girl she pushed in the water bullied her when she tried to join the girls in the first place. The pencil to the hand was in class at school due to a boy smacking her ass. It is a misrepresentation to say dancing lead to either of those things. It would be like saying watching football lead to you getting into fight at school because some kid knocked your books out of your hands.
Her actions were not due to the dancing, she was a kid who was acting out due to having family problems at home. If ANYTHING lead to those happening it was the lack of support structure in her home and the abuse she endured.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
Fair, the less conservative lifestyle at school lead to both of those things.
What? The harsh home life lead to both of those things. That is madness to blame dancing or the school. The girl was going through a naturally rebellious stage that even if she had gone to a religious school, she likely would have lashed out due to the stress her family was putting her under. The type of stress her family put her under on a daily basis is the same that leads to girls all over the world running away or committing suicide. Her dad was getting remarried to another woman and when he called she didn't want to talk to him and dropped the phone out the window. She was a timebomb waiting to explode by that point.

It is not the " less conservative" lifestyle that causes this:

Conservative religious parenting = BAD parenting.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
Out of curiosity Lil, what are your feelings on the male characters in the film? Like the security guard?
The one that grabbed them or the one that looked like a creep? One guy should have never put his hands on her to hold her against her will, even if it was to call the cops. The other just looked like a creep. The whole thing was stupid, he should have just told them to scram in the first place instead of thinking he was going to call the cops or their parents.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The one that grabbed them or the one that looked like a creep? One guy should have never put his hands on her to hold her against her will, even if it was to call the cops. The other just looked like a creep. The whole thing was stupid, he should have just told them to scram in the first place instead of thinking he was going to call the cops or their parents.
Hhm.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
? Of all the things to think about. Her parents literally had an exorcist come in and you think about a couple of dumbass security guards of all things? It amazes me that people are not actually most disturbed by the religious extremist abuse crap in this film more than anything else.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
? Of all the things to think about. Her parents literally had an exorcist come in and you think about a couple of dumbass security guards of all things? It amazes me that people are not actually most disturbed by the religious extremist abuse crap in this film more than anything else.
Eh? Oh I wasn't judging you for that. Just making a response to show I read it. I guess I'm not consistent on when I make sure people know I've read something though so maybe I should just not do that. It was meant to be a contemplative "hhm".

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
Eh? Oh I wasn't judging you for that. Just making a response to show I read it. I guess I'm not consistent on when I make sure people know I've read something though so maybe I should just not do that. It was meant to be a contemplative "hhm".
Saying " hhm responses online in general are likely not ideal as it may be difficult with just that to properly construe your message or intent. HAHA!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I think that's one of those things that is still treated like how domestic violence was treated 60 years ago. People just go "well, it's their religion, it's their business, not our place to interfere" when they come across nutty or abusive or crazy practices so they are just tolerant of it more when by all means it is pretty nutty.

Personally, having girls wear ninja suits as a normal thing is way more concerning than some wacky exorcism that doesn't really happen all that often if at all. Especially since those people come from places that are hot as fuck. I'm a winter person so being told to wear a black curtain in the hot sun all day would be my literal definition of hell.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Saying " hhm responses online in general are likely not ideal as it may be difficult with just that to properly construe your message or intent. HAHA!
In real life I'm very untalkative most of the time so I tend to try to translate that into "Hhm" online. Though I'm starting to suspect people may just think I'm being snooty.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I think that's one of those things that is still treated like how domestic violence was treated 60 years ago. People just go "well, it's their religion, it's their business, not our place to interfere" when they come across nutty or abusive or crazy practices so they are just tolerant of it more when by all means it is pretty nutty.

Personally, having girls wear ninja suits as a normal thing is way more concerning than some wacky exorcism that doesn't really happen all that often if at all. Especially since those people come from places that are hot as fuck. I'm a winter person so being told to wear a black curtain in the hot sun all day would be my literal definition of hell.
Have you not met Christians in the US? Not happen all that often? The sheer amount of abuse by these type of religious fanatics here in the Bible belt is extreme. This s not a small number we are talking about here.To make it worse in the US we still have it sanctioned by the government.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Have you not met Christians in the US? Not happen all that often? The sheer amount of abuse by these type of religious fanatics here in the Bible belt is extreme. This s not a small number we are talking about here.To make it worse in the US we still have it sanctioned by the government.

I'm agnostic and while my upbringing was orthodox, it has nothing to do with all the crazy newer flavors of christianity. As far as I'm concerned they're all kinda nuts and nothing like the stuff I learned growing up. We had religious studies in school but that was for every religion not just ours and it was more academic and less indoctrination. Though in a country which is already super duper orthodox due to a long history of the ottoman empire segregating us by religion and the new testament being written in our language you don't really need extra indoctrination as the default culture does enough of that by itself.

As a funny example, I remember being extremely confused as a young kid when in american films you'd see a birthing scene and then the mother would name the baby as the nurse handed it to her, I was like "but...this baby was not baptised yet, how does it have a name?" I legit couldn't comprehend a baby getting a name if you don't baptize it and have god give it the name it has. This is because I guess back in the day child mortality was high so they would wait for half a year or so before they give a name to a newborn to see if it'd survive long enough and then it just became this tradition of celebrating its survival but to me it was just so ubiquitous I couldn't imagine of some place where people just name babies as soon as they are born lol.

Only ever lived in the northeast and Cali though and as I understand it the people who talk in tongues and who ask you for donations to buy private plans and who pray the gay away and so on are in the south and I generally don't associate with religious communities of any kind anyways so no I can't say that I have. Not any people I was aware of being that anyhow. I have met other orthodox people due to family but those are more or less like back in europe.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
Another week, another excuse for a pedo thread on the Escapist.
This one is actually more of a religious physical and psychological abuse thread than a pedo one. This movie was like PG. No nudity. No sexual situations. The girls didn't even have boyfriends. Just religious extremists that demonized dancing and tried to go all exorcist to get the demons out of their daughter because she was a kid who wanted to dance and hang out with her friends and just be a normal kid and not used as slave labor at home listening to her " auntie" tell her how she should be a child bride crap. It is families like that cause their kids to run away.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I'm agnostic and while my upbringing was orthodox, it has nothing to do with all the crazy newer flavors of christianity. As far as I'm concerned they're all kinda nuts and nothing like the stuff I learned growing up. We had religious studies in school but that was for every religion not just ours and it was more academic and less indoctrination. Though in a country which is already super duper orthodox due to a long history of the ottoman empire segregating us by religion and the new testament being written in our language you don't really need extra indoctrination as the default culture does enough of that by itself.

As a funny example, I remember being extremely confused as a young kid when in american films you'd see a birthing scene and then the mother would name the baby as the nurse handed it to her, I was like "but...this baby was not baptised yet, how does it have a name?" I legit couldn't comprehend a baby getting a name if you don't baptize it and have god give it the name it has. This is because I guess back in the day child mortality was high so they would wait for half a year or so before they give a name to a newborn to see if it'd survive long enough and then it just became this tradition of celebrating its survival but to me it was just so ubiquitous I couldn't imagine of some place where people just name babies as soon as they are born lol.

Only ever lived in the northeast and Cali though and as I understand it the people who talk in tongues and who ask you for donations to buy private plans and who pray the gay away and so on are in the south and I generally don't associate with religious communities of any kind anyways so no I can't say that I have. Not any people I was aware of being that anyhow. I have met other orthodox people due to family but those are more or less like back in europe.
There are mega churches full of them here with seas of people.. It is just large scale awful.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I am gong to go ahead and lock this one. I think we're well past the discussion of a movie at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.