• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You HAVE seen floor routines right? We have more than, pommel horses, uneven bars, balance beams.. rings. We do quite a bit of crotch and butt waving in the air too lol.
Yes, I remember the Olympics in Rio, where the gold medalist gymnast, Simone Biles' winning routine involved humping and grinding on the balance beam.

No wait, she just did a bunch of flips

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
One of the final scenes in Cuties has the protagonist ashamed and crying after doing her provocative dance.

Are you saying she shouldn't have felt that way? That it was just normal, innocent dancing? Nothing worse than gymnastics?

You're saying "lol guys are losing their minds over this". Didn't SHE lose her mind over it?
Doesn't SHE recognize "oh god, this is wrong, what am I doing?" Is that not the message of the entire film?

Last edited:

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States

Look at them Hussies hip shaken! Have they no Modesty!

And he is 100% correct in that quote. I'm not calling for it to be censored. I'm calling for it to not be normalized.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
And he is 100% correct in that quote. I'm not calling for it to be censored. I'm calling for it to not be normalized.
Kids doing it has been normalized for a long time now. People willing to actually address girls authentically going through that awkward phase of their lives that no one wants to talk about without Disney'n it up has not been. I think we need to address it realistically more often, otherwise we can't really help girls understand that what they are feeling is normal and expected and that it is okay for them to feel that way and go through it because all girls go through this. Presently, it is pretty isolating and rough on girls because everyone tries to hide it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Despite your worst nightmares coming true, there are very few young girls that have not twerked. They have seen it and tried it already once it went mainstream.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
People can always surprise you.
Every year my hometown puts on a series of musicals and I always try to go to at least one. This year, I was unable to. Due to the whole Covid situation.

Yes, and men read Playboy for the articles.
The old 60’s to 70’s Playboys had some pretty excellent shit in their articles. In fact I think Playboy published Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 because no one else would. It’s a meme now, but reading that magazine for the articles back in the day was not an unheard of phenomenon. Mind, scantily clad beauties of the age on other pages were the main draw.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The old 60’s to 70’s Playboys had some pretty excellent shit in their articles. In fact I think Playboy published Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 because no one else would. It’s a meme now, but reading that magazine for the articles back in the day was not an unheard of phenomenon. Mind, scantily clad beauties of the age on other pages were the main draw.
I think I as like 9 or 10 and I remember me and my older sister found some old hustlers thrown by this old well that had bunch of junk in it. We actually sat there and read the articles for about an hour or so giggling. LMAO!

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
One of the final scenes in Cuties has the protagonist ashamed and crying after doing her provocative dance.

Are you saying she shouldn't have felt that way? That it was just normal, innocent dancing? Nothing worse than gymnastics?

You're saying "lol guys are losing their minds over this". Didn't SHE lose her mind over it?
Doesn't SHE recognize "oh god, this is wrong, what am I doing?" Is that not the message of the entire film?
You are talking about a child who had suffered physical and emotional abuse at the hands of her family of religious extremists who taught her that her body was sinful. They had stripped her, humiliated her and threw water trying to exercise the demons out of her on her making her shiver. They brought in a man to " get the demons out of her" She was abused and tortured by ignorant people who saw her body as sinful. No, of course she should have never been made to feel ashamed of her own body. She should have never been psychologically abused to ever view herself in such ways. THAT is what is sick. Her dancing was fine. Who knows if she would ever actually recover her self esteem from her psychological abuse however. Imposing and indoctrinating children is disgusting and repulsive regardless. THAT is what people should really be outraged about here. Christians in the US do the exact same thing to children and it should never be tolerated. They are no better than the evil people who tied me to a chair and made me read the bible aloud.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
As an aside I wonder if the age of consent in some cultures is less to do with the girl's emotional maturity and experience, and more to do with puberty and her period, meaning she is physically capable of getting pregnant so she much be emotionally ready too.
umm, yeah. Obviously.
Concern for young women's emotional well-being only became a phenomenon of civilisation within the last 100 years or less, and still barely so.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Kids doing it has been normalized for a long time now. People willing to actually address girls authentically going through that awkward phase of their lives that no one wants to talk about without Disney'n it up has not been. I think we need to address it realistically more often, otherwise we can't really help girls understand that what they are feeling is normal and expected and that it is okay for them to feel that way and go through it because all girls go through this. Presently, it is pretty isolating and rough on girls because everyone tries to hide it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Despite your worst nightmares coming true, there are very few young girls that have not twerked. They have seen it and tried it already once it went mainstream.
Let me start by saying that I haven't seen the film in it's totality. Only a few clips out of context on social media. So I can't give a really fair opinion on what the film has to say as a whole.

But I will say this. What I saw was very graphic and exploitative. There are ways to explore the theme of budding sexuality, puberty, and mixed societal pressures that don't involve putting 11 year old actresses in extremely provocative poses online. Teenage films have already been doing it for decades. But most of them don't feel the need to actually show 12 year olds sexting each other, or skinny dipping, or any of the other things that can and do happen when we are teenagers, even if those things get discussed in the story. The fact that this is a film that will be shown to millions of people means that there is an added level or responsibility in how it handles the production. Regardless of the strength of the themes, these actresses are too young to be able to make these kinds of decisions themselves. Hollywood and the film industry are already exploitative, and putting a film like this out, where the worst kinds of people have access to it, does feel highly irresponsible.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
umm, yeah. Obviously.
Concern for young women's emotional well-being only became a phenomenon of civilisation within the last 100 years or less, and still barely so.
Yea, and the ridiculous thing about the outrage over this movie isn't people concerned with their well being at all here. They are outraged over the girls dancing and having fun and ignore the severe physical and psychological abuse the girl endures at the hands of her own family. They humiliated her, stripped her throwing water on her trying to exercise demons out of her and tried to make her believe her own body was sinful. THAT is what people should have been outraged about. But no, they are offended about the girls feeling comfortable in their own skin and dancing instead like that was the real problem here.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom

I mean, I'll say it. Yeah.

Again, I think our biggest responsibility as adults towards children is to give them a safe environment to grow. That includes being safe from our judgement and hangups as well as being safe from actual predators. For me, the problem of child sexualization is not that it upsets adults and makes straight men's penises confused, it's entirely about the capacity for children to be exploited by adults, not just by predators but also, for example, by advertising and the entertainment industry. There's also the separate issue of self-esteem and body image, but that's not particularly different from what girls have always faced as they've grown up, and isn't going to be fixed by shallow sex negativity.

Again, children are allowed to be curious about the sexual aspects of the adult world. They will live in the adult world one day. If children can't explore our world without being predated or exploited, that is down to our failures as adults. Blaming children and teaching them to fear their bodies and sexuality for the sake of "protecting" them is not only immoral, it's also demonstrably ineffectual at keeping them safe.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Let me start by saying that I haven't seen the film in it's totality. Only a few clips out of context on social media. So I can't give a really fair opinion on what the film has to say as a whole.

But I will say this. What I saw was very graphic and exploitative. There are ways to explore the theme of budding sexuality, puberty, and mixed societal pressures that don't involve putting 11 year old actresses in extremely provocative poses online. Teenage films have already been doing it for decades. But most of them don't feel the need to actually show 12 year olds sexting each other, or skinny dipping, or any of the other things that can and do happen when we are teenagers, even if those things get discussed in the story. The fact that this is a film that will be shown to millions of people means that there is an added level or responsibility in how it handles the production. Regardless of the strength of the themes, these actresses are too young to be able to make these kinds of decisions themselves. Hollywood and the film industry are already exploitative, and putting a film like this out, where the worst kinds of people have access to it, does feel highly irresponsible.
They did that intentionally trying to " demonize" dancing. They intentionally tried to portray dancing as some evil sin against god to try and justify the physical and psychological abuse that her own family put her through was somehow justified to "get the demons out of her" due to her sinful actions. There were no sexual interactions in the movie. No sexting, not even kissing or anything like that. The closest was not even a sexual interaction. The girl, desperate and confused due to her extreme family religious beliefs lashes out and takes a picture of her hoo hoo to prove she isn't a kid ( nothing is shown of course) and throws it at the man who rejected her and appropriately treated her like a kid. That is as close as it gets. but that still isn't an actual sexual interaction, just an angry kid doing something stupid because they were angry. This didn't come from Hollywood, it came from France and this is the director:
Listening to her makes you better understand the context.

Last edited:

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
They did that intentionally trying to " demonize" dancing. They intentionally tried to portray dancing as some evil sin against god to try and justify the physical and psychological abuse that her own family put her through was somehow justified to "get the demons out of her" due to her sinful actions. There were no sexual interactions in the movie. No sexting, not even kissing or anything like that.
I think it's possible to criticize sex negativity and religious abuse without having your 11 year old actors twerking, rubbing their vaginas, smacking each others asses, and pinching each others clothing, primarily in front of an adult audience. Both in the film, and in life.

And I don't think that any of these are particularly healthy ways to explore sex positivity in media.

Edit: And I'm not convinced that these are particularly normal experiences, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.