Netflix facing indictment from Texas grand jury over "Cuties"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Netflix Inc is facing a criminal charge in a Texas county for promoting lewd visuals of a child in the French film “Cuties”, according to a statement from Tyler county’s district attorney’s office on Tuesday.

The document, filed on Sept. 23, said Netflix promoted material in the film that depicts lewd exhibition of the pubic area of a clothed or partially clothed child who was younger than 18 years of age which appeals to the prurient interest in sex.

“Cuties is a social commentary against the sexualization of young children. This charge is without merit and we stand by the film,” Netflix said in a statement.

The plot of “Cuties” centers around an 11-year-old Muslim girl who “starts to rebel against her conservative family’s traditions when she becomes fascinated with a free-spirited dance crew,” according to Netflix.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So does gymnastics.. are they going to declare all our televised events lewd as well? YouTube videos of competitions? School websites? What about diving, swimming? Ballet? This is typical for Texas Holy Rollers. THIS is also the reason why Pence never should have power over anything. EVER. Isn't this the second thread on this?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So does gymnastics.. are they going to declare all our televised events lewd as well? YouTube videos of competitions? School websites? What about diving, swimming? Ballet? This is typical for Texas Holy Rollers. THIS is also the reason why Pence never should have power over anything. EVER. Isn't this the second thread on this?
Um actually yes, YouTube has been rather judicious about removing sporting footage of u-18s from its platform because keeping it around was proving to be a massive headache legally. And that was prior to COPA/PIPPA.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So does gymnastics.. are they going to declare all our televised events lewd as well? YouTube videos of competitions? School websites? What about diving, swimming? Ballet?
Yes, they should. I don't understand why child sporting events are televised at all, or who watches them other than pedophiles.

Presumably the parents of those children are at the games themselves, and literally no one else in their right mind cares about watching children compete unless they're getting off to it.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Yes, they should. I don't understand why child sporting events are televised at all, or who watches them other than pedophiles.

Presumably the parents of those children are at the games themselves, and literally no one else in their right mind cares about watching children compete unless they're getting off to it.
Does this apply to competitions highlighting child musician prodigies too?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016

Personally i feel the same way about adult sport events.
But presumably there are actually people in the world who like watching sports.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

I went to see my mate's kid soccer game yesterday. We clearly need rain as it was a dust bowl.

There would also be talent scouts. I remember some big stands for the grand finals of (our) football season... I wonder when it is more acceptable for the community to join in inter-city derbies

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, there's definitely a case to be made for how kids are treated within the world of sports and art. Not the same as lewd exhibition, but just like with Cuties; don't exploit kids please.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Um actually yes, YouTube has been rather judicious about removing sporting footage of u-18s from its platform because keeping it around was proving to be a massive headache legally. And that was prior to COPA/PIPPA.
Since when? This is literally not happening. Even the Olympics age for Gymnastics is 16. All age groups of gymnastics are on YouTube and everywhere else. So is dance and ballet.. including hiphop.. all age groups...

Youtube is filled with these channels because there is literally nothing wrong with this.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Well, there's definitely a case to be made for how kids are treated within the world of sports and art. Not the same as lewd exhibition, but just like with Cuties; don't exploit kids please.
I was in gymnastics from the age of 4 and Ballet later, BY CHOICE. I was not exploited, it was one of the few things I really enjoyed. I have no idea why people suddenly think this is exploitation. The only time I was exploited was when I was essentially kidnapped by the US government and forced to go to that Christian school where they raped, beat, and abused hundreds of children. Having someone tie me to a chair and made to read the Bible aloud, telling how our culture is evil and that we need to be "saved" THAT is abuse.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
If they're forced to be in tight revealing outfits then yes.
Wearing loose clothing in gymnastics gets people seriously injured. In Ballet as well, especially when you are doing lifts. TBH it is pretty F'd up that people are trying to police female bodies.. AGAIN.

It seriously amazes me that people are really still THIS prudish in this age they want to chase all the girls down and cover their bodies just for being themselves and having fun. I would have thought that ended by now this many years after the puritans tried to force all the natives to dress according to their standards. The idea that girls should be forced to change their actions due to what males think is absurd BS. It is no different than the people covering all the girls with Burkas. They need to just leave the girls alone and let them be girls.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I was in gymnastics from the age of 4 and Ballet later. I was not exploited, it was one of the few things I really enjoyed. I have no idea why people suddenly think this is exploitation.
Not by default, but these types of areas lend themselves quite easily for kids to get exploited. In my country there were a whole bunch of female gymnasts who recently revealed they were treated basically like work horses when they were kids and overall just treated like shit, and that this is pretty much the culture of training kids, at least in my country. But I doubt this is isolated to just my country. Then there's also the typical parents screaming at their kids from the sidelines at soccer matches/training.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Not by default, but these types of areas lend themselves quite easily for kids to get exploited. In my country there were a whole bunch of female gymnasts who recently revealed they were treated basically like work horses when they were kids and overall just treated like shit, and that this is pretty much the culture of training kids, at least in my country. But I doubt this is isolated to just my country. Then there's also the typical parents screaming at their kids from the sidelines at soccer matches/training.
See I never was pressured by family to do anything. Some of my sisters chose to do gymnastics, but two chose not to, one of my brothers did it for a while as well, but it was 100% a choice. If we didn't want to do it, we could quit instantly. If they are abusing kids, that should be a matter of regulation and have inspections to make sure that isn't happening. I do not however, think they should police the girls however, or expect them to change their actions in any way, due to what someone else might think. The girls aren't doing anything wrong or something they should be "Shamed for" . If anyone should be shamed, it should be the people thinking messed up things about the kids, regardless of what kids wear or how they dance. Kids are kids, it just irks me to no end that people are trying to take these things away from the kids when to many of these kids, this is one of the things they enjoy most in life. They have done nothing to be "body policed" for.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Wearing loose clothing in gymnastics gets people seriously injured. In Ballet as well, especially when you are doing lifts. TBH it is pretty F'd up that people are trying to police female bodies.. AGAIN.

It seriously amazes me that people are really still THIS prudish in this age they want to chase all the girls down and cover their bodies just for being themselves and having fun. I would have thought that ended by now this many years after the puritans tried to force all the natives to dress according to their standards. The idea that girls should be forced to change their actions due to what males think is absurd BS. It is no different than the people covering all the girls with Burkas. They need to just leave the girls alone and let them be girls.
Nobody is saying that.
What's being said is that minors participating in such outfits doesn't need to be broadcasted to strangers.

Not sure where I stand on that stance, but you're arguing against a boogeyman point that no one here is making.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Nobody is saying that.
What's being said is that minors participating in such outfits doesn't need to be broadcasted to strangers.

Not sure where I stand on that stance, but you're arguing against a boogeyman point that no one here is making.
Why would it suddenly matter? They televised our meets when I was a kid too, Girls gymnastics and dance has been on TV for generations but suddenly now they want to take this away from them? It does matter to the girls more than anyone else. Girls have been able to get TV and movie roles from these televised competitions and this is increases their likelihood of getting an Olympic sponsor. And Yea, it is telling them that even though they worked just as hard as the rest of the Olympians, they suddenly are the only Olympians that can no longer be on TV. And because of what? The modesty police are up in arms again? None of this seems right to take away from them at all. I see this as no different than them trying to put the burkas on the girls because they also do that because of what " men think of them" which isn't a reason to impose these things on them in the first place.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

WHO watches them? Are you serious? Talent scouts, their competition, girls learning from one another, current and former gymnasts and dancers, their millions of girl fans all across the world.. This is a die hard hobby just like your hobbies are. The fact you even think that in the first place is messed up tbh. The girls should not be policed because of what some messed up men think. Police the men doing that, not the girls. It is not the girl's problem to fix here, it is theirs. The girls shouldn't be punished and be told they suddenly have to take " their offensive material down" when it isn't offensive in the first place. We have had our competitions and performances televised forever, creeps can be the ones who are dealt with, not take this away from the girls who have worked hard to be able to do this in the first place. You have no idea how crushing it would be to these girls to know that people were even considering taking this away from them. They deserve to be given the credit they have earned for their hard work here, and not be told " to put that away, daddy has a dirty mind dear". What sort of BS is this? Seriously, that mindset can F right off.

You asking " who watches this" is like someone asking "Who watches" football, soccer or any other sport.. The girls who enjoy watching this and doing it are who watch this. For us, it was no different than people playing Football. Girls have their own sports they enjoy and suddenly guys want to take that away from us as well. You do realize how messed up it is that we are even having this discussion in the first place? Like what " girls are allowed and not allowed to do" is even up for debate here? Seriously?

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
See I never was pressured by family to do anything. Some of my sisters chose to do gymnastics, but two chose not to, one of my brothers did it for a while as well, but it was 100% a choice. If we didn't want to do it, we could quit instantly. If they are abusing kids, that should be a matter of regulation and have inspections to make sure that isn't happening. I do not however, think they should police the girls however, or expect them to change their actions in any way, due to what someone else might think. The girls aren't doing anything wrong or something they should be "Shamed for" . If anyone should be shamed, it should be the people thinking messed up things about the kids, regardless of what kids wear or how they dance. Kids are kids, it just irks me to no end that people are trying to take these things away from the kids when to many of these kids, this is one of the things they enjoy most in life. They have done nothing to be "body policed" for.
If we're bringing it back to the movie, I don't think anyone is laying blame on the kids themselves or saying they should be policed. It's the adults in charge of the kids and particularly the movie that should be held accountable. And by 'accountable' I don't mean thrown in jail, but certainly scrutinized for displaying real-life kids in this kind of light.

If we're talking televised sporting events, if these events are shot in the same manner some of the kids are shot in Cuties then yeah, I'd say that's a bit of a problem. But seeing as gymnastic tournaments are generally very matter of fact in how they're televised, and DON'T have a leery quality to them, this really isn't a problem. This is ignoring the tremense pressure that is often put on these kids to perform though, which is its own issue.

And to make it clear, kids should be free to express themselves and develope their own sexual identity, but displaying that in a live-action movie should be treated with a lot more caution than Cuties appears to be doing.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
If we're bringing it back to the movie, I don't think anyone is laying blame on the kids themselves or saying they should be policed. It's the adults in charge of the kids and particularly the movie that should be held accountable. And by 'accountable' I don't mean thrown in jail, but certainly scrutinized for displaying real-life kids in this kind of light.

If we're talking televised sporting events, if these events are shot in the same manner some of the kids are shot in Cuties then yeah, I'd say that's a bit of a problem. But seeing as gymnastic tournaments are generally very matter of fact in how they're televised, and DON'T have a leery quality to them, this really isn't a problem. This is ignoring the tremense pressure that is often put on these kids to perform though, which is its own issue.

And to make it clear, kids should be free to express themselves and develope their own sexual identity, but displaying that in a live-action movie should be treated with a lot more caution than Cuties appears to be doing.
It isn't just the Movie, though, what the girls doing in the movie is no different than we have on hundreds of Youtube channels..
Girls love these dance competitions and have worked hard for them to be televised and to get their names out there so they can get sponsored, movie, TV, acting and dance roles, this is a hobby that is really important to the girls themselves. They would love nothing more than to be chosen to be on Beyoncé or Blue Ivy's dance team. The thing is for the girls dancing this isn't about sex at all here. This is a sport like anything else. Even in dance, they work countless hours trying to coordinate to get this just right for the televised performances. They have millions of girl fans around the world here. This is a huge hobby for girls, trying to police it and take it away is a seriously messed up thing to do to them at all here. And for what? Because of what some dirty old men might think? Seriously?! This is blatant body policing, body shaming due to what some creeps are doing and punishing the girls for it. They work hard so they CAN be on TV. The girls are who want this more than anyone else does.

Who exactly decides what is " leary?" the girls? We are expecting them to change their behavior because someone else might think it " leary?" This entire idea is screwed up in the first place.

How is this any different than telling a girl" Put that away dear, your Daddy has a dirty mind?" Or trying to burka the girls up? This really is no different than the colonizers forcing the Natives to adhere to their dress codes.. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

Oh look aren't those savages all appropriately dressed now and less leary?

It doesn't matter how they were dressed, they were still raped, beaten, abused and murdered anyways.
Considering I, too, was forced by the US government to go to a school that did exactly that, I find this body shaming and policing to be extremely offensive,. what the girls are wearing and doing is fine. Them being able to showcase their hard work and talent on TV and the internet is fine. They aren't the problem here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.