Netflix One Piece Live Action Adaptation

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Only watched One Piece when it was dubbed by 4kids, but a live action show based on it? This is gonna be one heck of a train wreck.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Fucking why?!

Why would you even attempt to adapt a manga that's over 1000 volumes and still ongoing?

Also, holy shit everything about this looks awful.
I was going to say that this sounds like another company looking at Netflix's Cowboy Bebop series and going 'we want one too', but then I saw that it was Netflix producing it, and now I'm confused.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...So they're making a live action adaptation...of a shonen anime...in which most of the fighters have some kind of ridiculous powers (and I mean that in the sense of bizarre)...and the main character's fighting style is based on him stretching himself in about as cartoonishly a manner as possible?

I...think there are a few choice words about the choice to go live action with that:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
One Piece sounds like a bad idea because it s both very long, very absurd, very self-serious, and would involve loads of expensive special effects.

I mean; you Netflix guys know this exists right:

Two good looking action girls, one decent smooth operator guy, a red hot fucking car and a gun shop in Chicago. Netflix should be able to shit a decent version of this out in like, six months.

I mean fuck, the most expensive thing in it would BE the car.

But okay fine you wanna spend some money, do something with a bit of flash and pizzaz:

If you cannot sell Iron Man multiplied by four but also Black Widow in a Cyberpunk world that fight rogue robots to a retro 80s soundtrack then you are a marketing failure.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One Piece sounds like a bad idea because it s both very long, very absurd, very self-serious, and would involve loads of expensive special effects.

Two good looking action girls, one decent smooth operator guy, a red hot fucking car and a gun shop in Chicago. Netflix should be able to shit a decent version of this out in like, six months.

But okay fine you wanna spend some money, do something with a bit of flash and pizzaz:

If you cannot sell Iron Man multiplied by four but also Black Widow in a Cyberpunk world that fight rogue robots to a retro 80s soundtrack then you are a marketing failure.
Yeah, OP is definitely an adaption that will be lame. They have so many other options. I rather take a Dirty Pair or Vampire Hunter D adaption. Those can actually work. They practically write themselves.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think in japan they make theatre play of pretty much every popular anime and those are apparently popular so it seems like there's a market for live action stuff, I guess?

But yeah I don't see this going well, especially if they keep going when you have 50+ characters active in the same arc, that'd be insane to cast. I'm guessing they'll heavily modify the story.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Wouldn't that just become every other cop show though? The appeal of Gunsmith Cats is that it's Americana but viewed through a 90's anime lens, giving it a unique flair (I mean, just listen to that brass). An American live-action remake would ironically ruin that charm.

And oh right, One-Piece live-action. God give me strength.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wouldn't that just become every other cop show though? The appeal of Gunsmith Cats is that it's Americana but viewed through a 90's anime lens, giving it a unique flair (I mean, just listen to that brass). An American live-action remake would ironically ruin that charm.

It's still a better idea than live action One Piece. A Gunsmith Cats live action series or movie could work. Besides, in this day and age, buddy or buddy cop type shows or movies have been pretty much dead at this point. It can use a nice revitalization.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Yeah, OP is definitely an adaption that will be lame. They have so many other options. I rather take a Dirty Pair or Vampire Hunter D adaption. Those can actually work. They practically write themselves.
I mean hell, if they want some 'easy' adaptations: Black Lagoon is at worst as outlandish as Kingsmen or Kill Bill. That's easy peasy with the most difficult production aspect probably being in getting the tone right. Baccano! is much the same, with intensive special effects being used relatively sparingly.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Rally and May are bounty hunters/gunsmiths, not cops. Mind in terms of the required chemistry and ninety percent of the conventions at play it’s probably an academic distinction.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I disagree, I think the show could work, but they will need to focus on one main villain.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The only good thing I will say about this is that at least they didn't feel like they needed to go with an all Japanese cast.

Beyond that, lmao good fucking luck Netflix. I wonder if they'll make Luffy's powers some shitty energy projection thing, like they're doing for MS. Marvel.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Can they tell a decent story in a few seasons? Because last I checked the anime is insanely fucking long and the Manga is no better. Either a lot of shit gets cut or they try to do a much shorter take on the source material.

I rather like the idea of One Piece but then I notice the length and realize it's still on-going and.....I just can't bring myself to commit to that right now.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I was going to say that this sounds like another company looking at Netflix's Cowboy Bebop series and going 'we want one too', but then I saw that it was Netflix producing it, and now I'm confused.
Why are these two shows made by the same company so similar?! I made a joke earlier but come on now;
1636917222571.png

1636917238410.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean hell, if they want some 'easy' adaptations: Black Lagoon is at worst as outlandish as Kingsmen or Kill Bill. That's easy peasy with the most difficult production aspect probably being in getting the tone right. Baccano! is much the same, with intensive special effects being used relatively sparingly.
I'm not a fan of either properties, but if they were adapted to live action, I would definitely take them over a live-action One Piece movie. Black Lagoon I could watch it they toned down heavily on the nihilism, and Baccano I've heard, of but never got invested in. I've seen a few clips, but it didn't appeal to me. I would still take the live action series over live OP.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
One Piece is another one of those shows where its 90% standing around with nothing happening while a thought bubble explains what happened last episode and 5 minutes of anything interesting happening. Its one of the laziest most boring animes I've ever seen. Honestly I think itll be an easy adaptation. You could get 10 seasons easy out of the first arc or whatever it is that it takes them 50 episodes to tell.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
One Piece is another one of those shows where its 90% standing around with nothing happening while a thought bubble explains what happened last episode and 5 minutes of anything interesting happening. Its one of the laziest most boring animes I've ever seen. Honestly I think itll be an easy adaptation. You could get 10 seasons easy out of the first arc or whatever it is that it takes them 50 episodes to tell.
Won't disagree with you there, but I will say that the casting for the anime was fucking great. That and they've been the definitive depictions of these characters for decades. To me, this is the biggest hurdle the show will have to overcome. I have no idea how they can sell these characters without making people constantly note the differences between the live action and the anime. Doesn't help that its going to be in English.